PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need a character built

Zweisteine
2014-03-13, 07:24 PM
Hello!

I'm planning a day of D&D with some of my friends, but, due to various scheduling issues, we do not have enough time between us to create the entirety of the adventuring party. I turn to you, playgrounders, for assistance. I need (well, I don't need it, but it would be immeasurably helpful for) one of you to create this character for me. The deadline (i.e. when the session begins) is noon saturday (server time).

Here's the important info:
• The character: Human Factotum 5/Chameleon 4
• Ability scores: 14, 14, 15, 15, 15, 17
• The adventure is a trap-filled dungeon, relatively light on real combat.
• The rest of the party is a Sorcerer (mostly buff spells, but no specifics yet), a (cloistered) Cleric, a factotum (archer), a fighter-type, and another caster.

(relevant) Houserules:
Factotums get 10+int skill points per level.
Facotums may ignore the feat requirement for chameleon (because they already have all skills as class skills).
At the cost of three skill points per rank, a character may take Knowledge (all), which is exactly what it sounds like.

Optimization level is average. The closest anything in the party gets to TO is a necropolitan kobold sorcerer (casting as level 10), but my lack of spell-choosing/using experience should balance that out.

I don't know if this type of request usually is answered, but I would be incredibly grateful if someone could do this for me.

Please help me!

Zweisteine
2014-03-13, 10:45 PM
I'm getting rather desperate... Please help me!!! :smalleek:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-13, 11:14 PM
Take Able Learner anyway, because you'll want it when spending your Chameleon skill points.

Say you bested the Iron Wyrm Vault detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Tactile Trapsmith for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it. This makes Search and Disable Device into Dex-based skills for you, and your Brains Over Brawn class feature allows you to add your Int bonus back into them again.

Say you visited the Otyugh Hole also in CS to get Iron Will for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it.

Use Silverbrow Human in Dragon Magic, it loses the bonus skill point/level but gains the Dragonblood subtype and you'll get Feather Fall as a spell-like ability usable 2/day.

Middle-Age Silverbrow Human, Factotum 5/ Chameleon 4
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 15, Cha 15 including adjustments for age and level-ups.
Two flaws: City Slicker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30) and Murky-Eyed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm#murkyEyed). Note that flaws must be taken during character creation but do not have to be taken at 1st level if you're creating a character above 1st level.
Feats: Able Learner (1), Magical Training (H), Quick-Draw (F), EWP: Gnome Quickrazor (F), TWF (3), Tactile Trapsmith ($), Iron Will ($), Knowledge Devotion (6), ITWF (9)
Your floating feat from Chameleon should usually be Draconic Aura in Dragon Magic or one of the Ceremony feats in that same book, or possibly an item creation feat or whatever else you think would be relevant.

Skills: You can have 12 ranks in six skills, and 8 ranks in nine other skills plus 8 ranks in all Knowledge skills, though skill tricks will reduce this number.
Skills at 12 ranks: Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, Spot, Listen, Iaijutsu Focus.
Skills at 8 ranks: All Knowledge skills, Tumble, Hide, Move Silently, Slight of Hand, Sense Motive, Use Magic Device, and Bluff.
Skills at 5 ranks: Balance, Jump.
Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel: Clever Improviser, Hidden Blade, Collector of Stories.

Equipment (36,000 gp WBL):
Iron Wyrm Vault and Otyugh Hole visits (6,000 gp)
Two +1 Gnome Quickrazors (4,690 gp)
Feathered Wings graft (10,000 gp)
Third Eye: Clarity (3,000 gp)
Anklet of Translocation (1,400 gp)
Healing Belt (750 gp)
Magic Bedroll (500 gp)
Mithralmist Shirt (3,400 gp)
(Heward's) Handy Haversack (2,000 gp)
Masterwork Thieves' Tools (300 gp)
Five Spell Component Pouches (25 gp)
Five Wooden Holy Symbols (5 gp)
Twenty pouches of Marbles (4 gp)
Spellbook: Add Silent Image (125 gp), Benign Transposition (125 gp), Grease (125 gp), Rope Trick (300 gp), Web (300 gp), Glitterdust (300 gp), Alter Self (300 gp), Dispel Magic (450 gp), and Shrink Item (450 gp).
1451 gp for mundane equipment, kits and tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolsAndSkillKits), handy indispensable items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), etc.

Use Arcane Focus every day, prepare the above spells from your spellbook, with Stick, Mage Hand, and Detect Magic for 0-level slots. Here's an Alter Self Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0), just note a few useful forms (movement modes, natural armor, skill bonuses) and forms with special situational benefits. Shrink Item is amazing, and your Int is high enough that spells with saving throws will actually be useful if you use them on creatures who have a weak save (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#types). Make a base save cheat sheet on a note card, your knowledge skills and Knowledge Devotion entitle you to knowing your enemies' creature types, and an Int 20 character who's smarter than any human who's ever lived should know this sort of metagame knowledge off the top of his head.

Your Marbles (A&EG) are actually tucked into folded squares of cloth and secured to your belt as weaponlike objects (half of them are in a side pocket on your Haversack). You can quick-draw one as a free action, drop it in an adjacent opponent's square as a free action, the marbles will spill and that opponent will be balancing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htm). If they have fewer than 5 ranks in Balance they'll be flat-footed and you can use Iaijutsu Focus against them. You can also cast Grease under opponents for this same effect. Gnome Quickrazors are drawn each time you attack with them, so you'll be able to use Iaijutsu Focus on every attack against a flat-footed opponent. Also be sure to add your Knowledge Devotion bonus, and use Collector of Stories on the check for the most numerous creature type each encounter. Iaijutsu Focus is from Oriental Adventures, make a Cha-based check for each attack, a 10 or higher gets +1d6 damage to that attack, every full five points by which you exceed 10 on the check gets an additional +1d6 damage, to a maximum of +9d6 damage with a check result of 50 or higher.

Zweisteine
2014-03-14, 03:21 PM
Thankyouthankyouthankyou! :smallbiggrin:

This looks great!

Thank you!

I do have a few questions, though.
Is the Otyugh Hole only added in for the bonsus to will saves?
What are good spells to get from Magical Training?

Thank you again!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-14, 06:54 PM
I do have a few questions, though.
Is the Otyugh Hole only added in for the bonsus to will saves?
What are good spells to get from Magical Training?

Thank you again!

The Otyugh Hole is only for Iron Will. In hindsight, you may as well replace it with a Cloak of Resistance +1 for 1,000 gp and a Ring of Protection +1 for 2,000 gp.

You only get three 0-level spells from Magical Training, I mentioned Stick, Mage Hand, and Detect Magic in the paragraph following equipment.