PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Divine magic "magus"

Panduca
2014-03-13, 07:58 PM
Hi there guys,

I'm new here in the forum, this is actually my first post. I am very interested in builds that involve divine magic and nice combat skills, like paladins, battle clerics and inquisitor. Therefore, I got myself wondering: is there a feat or a class that provides the possibility of delivering a divine magic through a melee or ranged attack, like a magus does with arcane magic? Is there any homebrew character or 3rd party material that introduces this kind of mechanic?

Snowbluff
2014-03-13, 08:02 PM
Spell combat can be done with any spells.

Spellstrike can be used with spells on the Magus list. If you have spells that overlap with, let's say, the cleric list, you can channel those spells from cleric spell slots. Magus2/ClericX

stack
2014-03-13, 08:41 PM
Six levels of magus lets you grab the broad study (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/broad-study-ex) so you can use spells form any class, but that's a pretty big commitment for a dip.

Beowulf DW
2014-03-13, 09:08 PM
Magus/Cleric with Broad Study into Mystic Theurge might be a build worth looking into, but I have my doubts.

At any rate, I thought that Spell Strike was all about using blasty spells to hurt an opponent, or bad-touch spells to debuff them. I suppose that clerics have a few decent debuffs, but aren't they a bit short on blasts?

TheIronGolem
2014-03-13, 09:15 PM
Assuming your DM is amenable, could you not simply refluff your Magus spells to be divine instead of arcane? Or are you looking for certain spells traditionally reserved for divine casters like Cure X Wounds and such?

Ravens_cry
2014-03-13, 10:10 PM
Assuming your DM is amenable, could you not simply refluff your Magus spells to be divine instead of arcane? Or are you looking for certain spells traditionally reserved for divine casters like Cure X Wounds and such?
That isn't just a refluff, given the existence of arcane spell failure.
What I would be amiable to a custom archetype for clerics that gets one (or maybe no) domain, but does get spellstrike and spell combat.

TheIronGolem
2014-03-14, 02:24 AM
That isn't just a refluff, given the existence of arcane spell failure.
True, but as long as you stick to light armor until level 7, and medium until 13, you can pretty much sweep it under the rug.

What I would be amiable to a custom archetype for clerics that gets one (or maybe no) domain, but does get spellstrike and spell combat.

Yeah, that would work too.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that would work too.
Do you think it'd be worth one or two domains?

TheIronGolem
2014-03-14, 11:13 AM
I'm inclined to say two, but I don't play Clerics much so ask around.

stack
2014-03-14, 01:24 PM
Anyone can spell strike with a wizards hook or a weapon with cost back calculated from it.

3WhiteFox3
2014-03-14, 03:50 PM
Anyone can spell strike with a wizards hook or a weapon with cost back calculated from it.

Sadly, the Wizard Hook only works with arcane spells. Shame too, it's an amazing magic item for arcane casters.

Spore
2014-03-14, 04:11 PM
How about refluffing channel smite, spell storing weapon or generally refluffing inquisitor?

stack
2014-03-14, 07:42 PM
Sadly, the Wizard Hook only works with arcane spells. Shame too, it's an amazing magic item for arcane casters.

huh, guess I should have read it again before posting. I suppose making a divine version would be pretty trivial, but still would be a custom item.

watchwood
2014-03-14, 08:52 PM
Talk to your DM? As long as you've got the feat for it, it shouldn't be a big deal.