PDA

View Full Version : Why, Roy? (probably not what you're thinking...)

Estelindis
2007-02-02, 03:06 PM
Roy calls on Belkar to stop Miko escaping. What on earth makes him think that Belkar can, in fact, do this?

Perhaps Belkar's desperate theory is true (although I doubt it). Alternatively, Roy either trusts Belkar's abilities a lot, or has simply forgotten about the Mark of Justice.

Any alternate views?

sun_tzu
2007-02-02, 03:17 PM
Roy calls on Belkar to stop Miko escaping. What on earth makes him think that Belkar can, in fact, do this?

Perhaps Belkar's desperate theory is true (although I doubt it). Alternatively, Roy either trusts Belkar's abilities a lot, or has simply forgotten about the Mark of Justice.

Any alternate views?
He figures that catching Miko after she escapes would be a far bigger headache than getting a cleric to cancel the effects of the mark of justice if Belkar stops her?
I mean, it's not like the mark is supposed to kill Belkar instantaneously if he deals her lethal damage or something.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-02, 03:21 PM

Any alternate views?

Perhaps he only expects Belkar to slow her down a mite (using non-lethal damage?) so he can catch up. Or perhaps he is just desperate and out of options.

fwiffo
2007-02-02, 03:24 PM
1) Roy gets Stun-kicked in the head
2) Room starts spinning
3) Miko makes what looks like an attempt to escape
4) Roy barely gets his bearing and sees that she runs toward the only person in the room who is not psysically or emotionally stunned.

MReav
2007-02-02, 03:25 PM
Well, Belkar has shown a remarkable ability to ignore the thing in the past (Yokyok, Nale, Durkon). I was wondering why he remembered it now.

Haruki-kun
2007-02-02, 03:28 PM
4) Roy barely gets his bearing and sees that she runs toward the only person in the room who is not psychically or emotionally stunned.

You know, something sorta hit me: I don't think many people remember Belkar has the MoJ.

I mean, it's not like not being murdered in the middle of the night really calls too much attention.

Basically it was one of those situations where you're like "Hey do this for me...... Oh, crap, I forgot you can't because of this and this......."

Well, Belkar has shown a remarkable ability to ignore the thing in the past (Yokyok, Nale, Durkon). I was wondering why he remembered it now.

You're right about nle and durkon, but Yikyik didn't count cuz belkar didn't hurt him. the adventurers killed him for him.

PaladinFreak
2007-02-02, 03:31 PM
Maybe grapple her? Even if he can't hold her, it still means she will be stopped for at least a short while.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-02, 03:33 PM

It got through to him eventually, I guess. ;)

Though I'd say that the Yokyok and Nale situations were different from one another: with Yokyok he had time to improvise, with Nale, he snapped and attacked him before he could react.

Miko OTOH, is charging him in anger, so perhaps there is the intimidation factor to consider; it's not as though he has many options vis a vis surprise or improvization.

BTW: what incident with Durkon are you referring to?

Tokiko Mima
2007-02-02, 03:35 PM
Maybe Roy and Shojo exaggerated the exact effects of the curse bestowed? Lord Shojo does have a sense of humor about him, so maybe it will do something wierd like actually buff Belkar's Wisdom, or cause flowers to grow from his ears or something. A suddenly wise and peaceful Belkar talking down Miko from attacking him would be fun to watch. :)

Lord Zentei
2007-02-02, 03:38 PM
Maybe Roy and Shojo exaggerated the exact effects of the curse bestowed? Lord Shojo does have a sense of humor about him, so maybe it will do something wierd like actually buff Belkar's Wisdom, or cause flowers to grow from his ears or something. A suddenly wise and peaceful Belkar talking down Miko from attacking him would be fun to watch. :)

An effect like Owl's Wisdom (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html)?

I somehow doubt she'd listen. ;)

Fighteer
2007-02-02, 03:38 PM
BTW: what incident with Durkon are you referring to?
"Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley..."

I can't believe you wouldn't remember. :smallbiggrin:

Lrbearclaw
2007-02-02, 03:46 PM
Personally I think the Mark of Justice was a fake. Simply a magical symbol made to make Belkar was in peril. Maybe a way to help "cure" him of his need to kill.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-02, 03:48 PM
"Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley..."

I can't believe you wouldn't remember. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, yeah. Heh. Though he was under the effects of a Charm Person at the time, of course.

Deper
2007-02-02, 03:49 PM
Maybe grapple her?

She has monk levels and hates him as much (if not more) than Roy. She'd tear him apart in a round, if he could actually catch her.

Weaponbreaker
2007-02-02, 03:49 PM
Beause we all know that while Belkar was wandering about after the capture of Elan he had the MoJ removed. Just like Roy knew he would.

SteveMB
2007-02-02, 04:18 PM
I can think of two ways that Belkar can stop Miko from escaping:

1. Just say "Screw This!" to the MoJ, fight, and worry about the consequences later.

2. Needle Miko into chasing him instead of escaping.

Both of those seem like Belkaresque things to do.

Erk
2007-02-02, 11:31 PM
Pity it looks like he won't get to do either. I think he could have stopped her with a nice friendly hug and a kiss on the cheek though.

OK, maybe not, but I would have paid good money to see it.

chibibar
2007-02-02, 11:46 PM
the funny thing is that Belkar said he can still knock teeth out with non-lethal damage http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html

so it is possible that Belkar "might" be able to stop Miko with non-lethal damage ALSO we don't know how FAST the sickness kicks in. Belkar could have gotten a few rounds in before he goes out for the count.

Bluefin
2007-02-03, 12:06 AM
What he could have done is put on his blue cloak and go around calling for help. Then Miko would need to fight through a whole gaurd of paladins.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-03, 12:23 AM
I think Roy either forgot the MoJ in the heat of the moment, or he hoped Belkar could slow her down.

Kreistor
2007-02-03, 12:26 AM
If they have a Cleric that can do Raise Dead, then they can do Mark of Justice. The Mark is real.

Krytha
2007-02-03, 12:27 AM
Maybe Roy thought Belkar could grab onto her leg or trip her or something. He didn't necessarily have to knock her down. Technically, just evading her execution attempts would've done the trick.

agentx42
2007-02-03, 02:00 AM
Perhaps he only expects Belkar to slow her down a mite (using non-lethal damage?) so he can catch up. Or perhaps he is just desperate and out of options.

Yeah, I'm going with this one. Miko had a good head of steam going and Roy's hope must have been that at the very least Belkar would have made a good roadbump while he tried to get his bearings.