PDA

View Full Version : Builds unique to Sorcerer

G.Cube
2014-03-13, 11:09 PM
Are there any cool things or builds that straight Sorcerers can do that a straight Wizard can't? Note that it doesn't have to be powerful, some might even weaken the Sorcerer, but as long as they are flavorful and unique to Sorcerer I'd love to hear about them.

HunterOfJello
2014-03-13, 11:10 PM
Mailman build.
Any build that uses Sorcerer-only spells.

Lonely Tylenol
2014-03-13, 11:14 PM
Any build that abuses Wings of Flurry by default, although Defenestrating Sphere can often take its place (both builds are hi-ho-LARIOUS, by the way).

CyberThread
2014-03-13, 11:52 PM
Spell name Spell School V S M AF DF XP Rulebook name Edition
Arcane Spellsurge Universal yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Blunt Natural Weapons Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragons of Faerun Forgotten Realms (3.5)
Curse of the Elemental Lords Necromancy yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Detect Dragonblood Divination yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Dragonblood Affinity Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragons of Faerun Forgotten Realms (3.5)
Dragonblood Spell-pact Transmutation yes yes yes no no yes Dragons of Faerun Forgotten Realms (3.5)
Dragoneye Rune Universal yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Eyes of the Oracle Divination yes yes yes no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage Transmutation/Divination yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Ghostly Tail Evocation yes yes no no no no Races of the Dragon Supplementals (3.5)
Glorious Master of the Elements Evocation no no no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Hoard Life Conjuration yes yes no yes no no Races of the Dragon Supplementals (3.5)
Lord of the Sky Evocation/Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Mark of the Enlightened Soul Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Primal Hunter Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Primal Instinct Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Primal Senses Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Primal Speed Transmutation yes yes no no no no Dragon Magic Supplementals (3.5)
Tail Slap Evocation yes yes no no no no Races of the Dragon Supplementals (3.5)
Tail Sweep Evocation yes yes no no no no Ra

to lazy to sort....or verify

Zanos
2014-03-13, 11:55 PM
Mailman build.
Any build that uses Sorcerer-only spells.
You can make a mailman wizard. It won't break the damage charts as hard as a Sorcerer, but you can still dump out enough damage/negative levels every round to kill anything printed in less than a round. The core of the mailman is just abusing metamagic and stacking reducers, which a wizard can do just fine. You do lose out on some Sorcerer exclusive tricks like Arcane Fusion and Spellsurge abuse, so you won't turn the enemy's corpses into unrecognizable meat chunks, but they'll still be dead.

LTwerewolf
2014-03-14, 12:21 AM
The age-old sorcadin. Not exclusively sorcerer, as other class combos can pull off something similar, but hey.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 12:54 AM
I was working on a multi-breath build relying on 4-5 different breath weapons which are used at a rate of 2 per round for 3 consecutive rounds. I'm pretty sure that a wizard couldn't do more than 1 breath attack per round in the same 3 round period (without gaining additional turns). But its not about the damage, its about the pretty light show anyways.

CyberThread
2014-03-14, 01:06 AM
dfa's five fold tiamat breath?

rainbow servant is unique to Sorc, as are most bloodline feats.

Honeslty, besides a hand full of spells, 3.5 is so diverse and hidden gems, it is easy to find something to overcome a rules wall.

SiuiS
2014-03-14, 01:09 AM
I was working on a multi-breath build relying on 4-5 different breath weapons which are used at a rate of 2 per round for 3 consecutive rounds. I'm pretty sure that a wizard couldn't do more than 1 breath attack per round in the same 3 round period (without gaining additional turns). But its not about the damage, its about the pretty light show anyways.

Neat. Care to share the basics?

CyberThread
2014-03-14, 01:11 AM

woah ...where you come from, rarly see you in this section of the forums

SiuiS
2014-03-14, 01:16 AM
There are very few 3.5 quirks I care about anymore. I've internalized most of the cool stuff, I ignore the stupid stuff like the rules compendium technically not having any authority to compile rules, and don't have much to say except 'cool' about stuff like the monk technically being their own magic weapon and gaining hardness and hit points in relation to their rating as a magic weapon.

Oh, I've got an oldie that I like; sorcerers can pick up any spell from any list, so a sorc 20 is mystic theurge who is ahead of the CL curve without shenanigans. No specific build for them, but plenty of options for a sorcerer who can, say, bring the cleric only Divine Might & Divine Power line along with the wujen only Giant's growth and the assassin's cursed blade, or something.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-14, 02:09 AM
A sorcerer that takes arcane preparation can take a level of spellsinger then of sublime chord then using sublime chord and sorcerer can qualify for Ultimate Magus and get some really amazingly high caster levels.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 03:04 AM

I used a few tweaks tho - traded familiar for a feat, and 2 flaws (laughable yes) but these bonus feats are only used to gain recover breath multiple times which makes further combat past round 3 possible.

Sorcerer 1 Binder 1 Sorcerer 3 Anima Mage 7-10, Human -> Dragonborn (1st breath weapon so long as you pick heart)

1st level (3): Draconic Heritage (Brass), Recover Breath 3x, 3rd level: Improved binding, 6th level: Draconic Breath (2nd breath weapon, but unaffected by some meta breath feats), 9th level: Recover Breath, 12th level Quicken Breath

Bind Amon (3rd breath weapon)
Cast Dragon Breath Spell (4th breath weapon)

Generally use the spell sacrificing Draconic Breath which has no recharge as a standard action, and quicken each of the other breath weapons on each turn.

Turn 1 quickened amon followed by a standard action draconic breath.
Turn 2 quickened dragon breath followed by a standard action draconic breath.
Turn 3 quickened dragon born followed by a standard action draconic breath.

If you allow the bonus feats (not usually allowed), and allow quicken breath to be used with draconic breath you can do this instead:
Turn 1 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action amon breath.
Turn 2 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action dragon breath (amon recharging).
Turn 3 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action amon breath.
Turn 4 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action dragon breath (amon recharging).
Turn 5 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action amon breath.
Turn 6 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action dragon breath (amon recharging).
Turn 7 quickened draconic breath followed by a standard action amon breath.
and so on until you run out of spells the dragon born breath weapon is the weakest of the bunch and used in gaps if draconic breath isn't quickened (for whatever reason)

No battle field control, just colorful belched gas.

CyberThread
2014-03-14, 08:46 AM
No battle field control, just colorful belched gas.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/014/567/i02/plasma-jet-illustration.jpg?1326831674

Nightraiderx
2014-03-14, 10:29 AM
Sorcerers get better mileage from the Warmage prestiege class. dat cha synergy

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-14, 10:41 AM
There is the Eldritch Master Prestige Class (Dragon 280)
A four level dip of it is like Rainbow Servant, but sorcs only get more spells known and increased CL rather than full casting progression (Technically they get one spell slot higher and a spell known than they could cast at level 3 of the class).
Also Detect Magic at-will, the ability to cast a cantrip an extra time per day (Woo...), a Metamagic feat, and then finally at level 4 they get the ability to learn from any other list (Divine spells are still cast as Arcane).

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-14, 10:46 AM
dfa's five fold tiamat breath?

rainbow servant is unique to Sorc, as are most bloodline feats.

Honeslty, besides a hand full of spells, 3.5 is so diverse and hidden gems, it is easy to find something to overcome a rules wall.

Rainbow Servant sucks for Sorcerers, while it opens the Cleric list and the domains they still need to select them with their Spell Known slots. As such it works much better with the Fixed List spellcasters (Rainbow Warsnake being the most common and known).

Segev
2014-03-14, 10:49 AM
A sorcerer that takes arcane preparation can take a level of spellsinger then of sublime chord then using sublime chord and sorcerer can qualify for Ultimate Magus and get some really amazingly high caster levels.
Can you break this down a bit more for me, please? I'm not seeing either how all of that is necessary or how all of it adds together.

SinsI
2014-03-14, 11:08 AM
Mystic Theurge with Favored Soul.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-14, 11:09 AM
Sublime chord bases it's caster level on the caster level of the class you enter it with.

So let's say you enter it with sorcerer cl 10. After one level of SC your sorcerer caster level is 11 and your SC caster level is eleven.

Spellsinger is used to qualify for SC without losing sorcerer caster levels.

Arcane preparation makes sorcerer a prepared casting class so you can use sorcerer and SC to enter ultimate Magus.

Ultimate Magus advances Sorcerer casting AND sublime chord casting And your Sublime chord casting is benefitting from your sorcerer caster level. And it also gives you flat CL boosts.

Without any feats of magic items or special components you can have a CL over 30.

satorian
2014-03-14, 11:10 AM
There's also Dracolexi (which bards can take, but not wizards) and Dragon Disciple builds (same).

Dragon Disciple can be used in a few builds to give a boost, but is really just a half-dragon Savage Species-type racial progression.

Dracolexi is one of the best prestige classes for a sorcerer. It is one of the few where a lost caster level is worth it.

Segev
2014-03-14, 11:11 AM
Huh. Does it also advance your spell slots/known faster than they might otherwise?

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-14, 11:19 AM
I like sorcerers as Spellwarp Snipers, especially if your DM allows spellwarped Wings of Flurry rays to serve as no-save stun rays.

satorian
2014-03-14, 11:25 AM
You get bonus speech spells, free Power Word spells at a spell level lower than normal, the ability to overcome magical Silence, and most importantly draconic words, which are sweet special abilities that allow you to do all kinds of neat stuff, from healing to free metamagic.

It's in Dragon Magic. Edit: Races of the Dragon.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-14, 11:47 AM
Huh. Does it also advance your spell slots/known faster than they might otherwise?

You don't get a faster progression of spells known but you can get 9th level spontaneous casting on both sides which gives you better spells known and per day than a sorcerer (especially since you get bonus spell for high charisma on both sides) and you gain access to bard spells.

Additionally you get all the awesomeness that is Ultimate Magus while remaining sad.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-14, 11:48 AM
Gattling Gun Sneak Attack

A sorcerer can turn a standard action spell, like say scorching ray or launch bolt into a full round action by applying metamagic.

Launch bolt can deal sneak attack damage.

So a sorcerer / spellthief 1 / Unseen seer 10 / Arcane trickster X can shoot off 40 sneak attacks a round, each dealing 10-20 dice of sneak attack damage, possibly stripping an opposing spellcaster of all their spell slots.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 01:34 PM
http://i.space.com/images/i/000/014/567/i02/plasma-jet-illustration.jpg?1326831674

Wow that's a lot what I was expecting to happen when multiple breath weapons were used at once :smallwink:

Especially when the element types are different from the different breath weapons.

But them Draconic feats can make for interesting occurrences.

Snowbluff
2014-03-14, 01:42 PM
I like sorcerers as Spellwarp Snipers, especially if your DM allows spellwarped Wings of Flurry rays to serve as no-save stun rays.

Reread Wings and weep. It specifies you have to fail a save, rather than a successful save negating the daze.

The only sorcerer specific builds are:
Ones that use sorc-only spells, and this is capable of being subverted
One that use sorcerer only abilities: Draconic Heritage.