PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlets and Gloves

ken-do-nim
2007-02-02, 03:19 PM
I just noticed that all the suits of armor say they include gauntlets. Since gauntlets and gloves occupy the same slot for magic item purposes, can someone wear mithral full plate and gloves of dexterity?

If not, I've got a lot of messed up characters.

Indon
2007-02-02, 03:20 PM
Full plate, I do believe, comes with helm, gauntlets, and boots. But all are replacable without affecting the armor's AC.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 03:28 PM
All characters are assumed to wear some sort of gloves (if they ever enter melee) and some sort of footwear, unless otherwise noted. You can also assume that they wear other mundane items, such as unvaluable jewelry, belts, tunics, padding under armor, etc. By getting magical versions of these things it is assumed that you swap them out and that the magic versions are at least as good (almost always better) at protecting the character or aiding them in some way.

Seffbasilisk
2007-02-02, 04:04 PM
Also you can wear gloves under gauntlets and get the benifits of both as long as only one is magical. If you're wearing fullplate +1 and gloves of dex +2? That works. But if you're wearing Gauntlets of Strength +2 and Gloves of Dex +2, you only get the benifit of one.

oriong
2007-02-02, 04:07 PM
Keep in mind that no matter what it's shape armor only takes up the 'armor' slot for magic item purposes. It's not the gauntlets on mithril full plate that are magical, it's the armor as a whole.

ken-do-nim
2007-02-02, 11:25 PM
Follow-on questions: can you wear locked gauntlets with a glove? Can you have magical gauntlets and make them locked gauntlets?

oriong
2007-02-02, 11:41 PM
Nothing says you can't so long as the locked gauntlets aren't themselves a pair of magical gauntlets and I see no reason why you couldn't make a pair of magical lockedg gauntlets but the two functions wouldn't interact in any way unless they were custom magic items of some kind.

ken-do-nim
2007-02-03, 12:33 AM
Nothing says you can't so long as the locked gauntlets aren't themselves a pair of magical gauntlets and I see no reason why you couldn't make a pair of magical lockedg gauntlets but the two functions wouldn't interact in any way unless they were custom magic items of some kind.

I was worried the locking mechanism of the gauntlets would be covered by the gloves.

Quixotic
2007-02-03, 01:00 AM
Is there anyone here who has ever seen someone play a character with locked gauntlets?

I haven't.

oriong
2007-02-03, 01:02 AM
I was worried the locking mechanism of the gauntlets would be covered by the gloves.

Well, I don't see why it would be a problem, you would wear the gloves underneath the gauntlets.

Seffbasilisk
2007-02-03, 01:25 AM
Is there anyone here who has ever seen someone play a character with locked gauntlets?

I haven't.

I've played characters with locked gauntlets. True they were all Arena characters with only one weapon, but that's one.

TheOOB
2007-02-03, 01:55 AM
MAGIC gauntlets and gloves occupy the same item slot, you can still wear gloves under your gauntlets, but if both are magic they won't function, kinda like you can only wear two magic rings even though you have 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 ears, and all manner of other places to place a ring.

Dhavaer
2007-02-03, 02:39 AM

I haven't.

I once played a maenad psychic warrior who may have used them. It was a while ago, though, so I could very well be remembering that wrong.

Dervag
2007-02-04, 12:31 AM
All characters are assumed to wear some sort of gloves (if they ever enter melee) and some sort of footwear, unless otherwise noted. You can also assume that they wear other mundane items, such as unvaluable jewelry, belts, tunics, padding under armor, etc. By getting magical versions of these things it is assumed that you swap them out and that the magic versions are at least as good (almost always better) at protecting the character or aiding them in some way.Why?

It is by no means necessary to wear gloves or jewelry into battle. Footwear, clothing (such as a tunic), and armor padding are necessary, of course, but gloves and jewelry aren't. So why 'should' there be something in those slots if the PCs haven't specifically obtained anything that would go in those slots?

Rockphed
2007-02-04, 01:38 AM
Gloves might be worn because they might help with grip or keeping your finger from being slit open. Most jewelry, on the other hand, would actually interfere in battle. Thus I doubt any sane character would wear a non-magical ring in battle. Unless they were married, in which case, they had better be wearing the ring all the time. hey, I just had a totally rad Idea! Have your wedding ring enchanted as a ring of regen! It totally works!

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-05, 10:42 AM
Characters are assumed to wear armor padding, gloves, boots, belts, tunics and other such mundane equipment because it is necessary to be effective in combat, like you said. Characters are assumed to wear mundane jewelry because they are wealthy, and even the poorest of the classes wore some sort of adornment. Jewelry, unless over-sized or improperly placed does not interfere with combat. Example: People always claim that wearing a ring hinders your ability to swing something, or that it hurts more when it strikes, or something to this degrees. I have worn a ring for the past 6 years, 5 of which I played baseball. People gave me the same warnings. Never once was I injured or hindered by wearing the ring. The ring never got in my way. I also own a sword that is roughly the equivelant of a Bastard Sword. I have swung the sword and struck many things with it, again with no impedence by the ring.

Also, jewelry is often given as gifts, especially to those that are leaving for a long time (ie adventurers). They are usually given by loved ones and have sentimental value. A ring or a necklace may be worth little to nothing to the shopkeep, but few people would sell the ring given them by their sweetheart or mother.

I always assumed that characters would be properly dressed and adorned fitting their social status, except for things that augment their profession. Those, they have to buy.