PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Issues

rmnimoc
2014-03-14, 01:50 AM
I just realized that RAW nothing, no matter how large is bigger than colossal (-8 to AC, 16 to hide) and nothing, no matter how microscopic is smaller than fine. This means that if the earth just woke up one day and decided to hide, with 0 ranks in anything (and no abilities), a fighter would be completely unable to see the earth from 220 feet away. But he doesn't have to feel bad about that, after all, he can visually observe 1% of the quantum particles within ten feet with his naked eyes. (I'm assuming quantum particles have a dex of 10 with all their dancing around).
And he can score a direct hit on that silly particle with a knife 10% of the time.

I just felt like pointing that out. (If I'm wrong, let me know. I might just be mistaken. I seriously hope I'm mistaken.)

georgie_leech
2014-03-14, 02:16 AM
Alas, it's a noted dysfunction. Not that it's unique; we've got 5 distinct threads discussing all the ways the rules go askew. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267985) Welcome to D&D, the game where drowning can heal you, Kung-fu Monks are technically not proficient with Unarmed Strikes, and articles of clothing can force you to threaten coastlines in the manner of shirts.

rmnimoc
2014-03-14, 02:25 AM
Alas, it's a noted dysfunction. Not that it's unique; we've got 5 distinct threads discussing all the ways the rules go askew. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267985) Welcome to D&D, the game where drowning can heal you, Kung-fu Monks are technically not proficient with Unarmed Strikes, and articles of clothing can force you to threaten coastlines in the manner of shirts.

Right So I'm just going to house-rule there being colossal+ and fine- categories. Anything that is one Planck now has a size modifier to AC of 1.3292279957849158729038070602803e+36 (basing it off modifier doubling every time the size halves).

Andezzar
2014-03-14, 02:36 AM
Spot only applies to visual perception. Do all subatomic particles either emit visible light or meaningfully reflect light?

The earth on the other hand most likely is observed by someone and thus cannot hide.

Additionally things that are obvious don't require a spot check to find.

georgie_leech
2014-03-14, 02:41 AM
Right So I'm just going to house-rule there being colossal+ and fine- categories. Anything that is one Planck now has a size modifier to AC of 1.3292279957849158729038070602803e+36 (basing it off modifier doubling every time the size halves).

You might find it more expedient to just say "You can't hit that." As is, it's doable 2.5% of the time (Natural 20 for Auto-hit, 50% Total Concealment from being too small to see)

Andezzar
2014-03-14, 02:43 AM
There is also this bit:
BEHIND THE CURTAIN:
HOW REAL IS YOUR FANTASY?
This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a
fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities
channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round,
the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people.
The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise,
this situation is what your players expect.
That said, you could create a world that is very different from even
these basic premises. Your campaign could be set within a hollow world,
on a flat world, or on the inside of a tube that spins around the sun.
You could change the laws of physics to produce a world with
objects or materials so light that they float, areas where time flows at a
different rate, or the very real threat that the ocean might wash seafarers
off the side of the world so that they fall forever in an eternal waterfall.
One point to keep in mind if you’re going to change premises that
we all take for granted, however, is that you should try to maintain
some consistency. If time passes more slowly as you move away from
the central Mountain of the Earth’s Heart, then this fact should always
be true. The people of the world should understand and accept this
reality. If that’s the way the world works, it wouldn’t seem odd to them.
You could establish a land where people are so truly good that no
government or organization is needed to maintain order or peace. Or
you could create a land where everyone is born evil, the scions of an
evil progenitor god, and they all work together for the downfall of goodness.
Such people are not realistic, but they’re certainly interesting.

OldTrees1
2014-03-14, 09:52 AM
You might find it more expedient to just say "You can't hit that." As is, it's doable 2.5% of the time (Natural 20 for Auto-hit, 50% Total Concealment from being too small to see)

I believe there is precedent for this with fine swarms being immune to weapon damage.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-03-14, 12:05 PM
What's the Earth hiding behind to gain concealment or cover from the Fighter?

My personal favorite trick is throwing yourself at the ground and hoping for a natural 1. Free flight at level 1!

Kazudo
2014-03-14, 12:39 PM
-snip-

Though that's the section on world building, and it does say that you can create a world in which that's not entirely true at all. That line is so bad out of context.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 01:45 PM
I believe there is precedent for this with fine swarms being immune to weapon damage.

Thats why you fireball said swarm of nanobots :smallwink:

Andezzar
2014-03-14, 01:56 PM
Though that's the section on world building, and it does say that you can create a world in which that's not entirely true at all. That line is so bad out of context.No, it is relevant because it says that the laws of physics apply unless the DM tells you otherwise. As such you cannot assume to be able to spot subatomic particles, unless the DM tells you that you can.

Kazudo
2014-03-14, 01:58 PM
No, it is relevant because it says that the laws of physics apply unless the DM tells you otherwise. As such you cannot assume to be able to spot subatomic particles, unless the DM tells you that you can.

I never said it wasn't relevant. That section of world building assumes that, which means that the book does too. I was merely mentioned that, used out of context, that segment actually makes it seem like it's not RAW for DMs to be able to make worlds in which that isn't the case.