PDA

View Full Version : Best powers to make PLAs?

Jeff the Green
2014-03-14, 04:50 AM
I'm working on a character using a homebrew astral construct base class that gets psionic powers as PLAs, so automatically heightened to PP=character level. I get to choose one 1st-, two 2nd-, and one 3rd- or 4th-level powers, plus a mantle. What are some good choices? I'll be gestalt in gas some sort of arcane caster, so something that duplicates spells isn't a good choice unless it's pretty superior.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-14, 06:50 AM
1st: Vigor, Inertial Armor
2nd:Damp Power (CPsi)
3rd:Sense Danger (MoE), Time Hop, Forced Dream (MoE)
4th:Schism, Psychic Reformation

Mantle: Time, Fate

Augmented Vigor is nice even if it will only last one combat/day. If your campaign goes to higher levels Inertial Armor is a better choice than Mage Armor, on lower levels Vigor is better.

Damp Power has an effect that is unique to psionics afaik and can be a lifesaver. Augmented it protects your party as well.

Sense Danger doesn't work with Astral Construct so it only makes sense if you have short duration defensive powers. If you do it's great though.

Time Hop has a lot of potential applications. Use it to get past locked doors without leaving any signs or your passage, vanish a bridge or balcony... the possibilities are endless.

Forced Dream is insurance against bad luck.

Schism and Psychic Reformation pretty much speak for themselves.

Fate Mantle lets you add your class level to a d20 roll. Kind of a Factotum-lite effect.
Time adds +2 to initiative and gives you the option to delay damage and negative effects for 1 round.

Psyren
2014-03-14, 10:57 AM
Note that anything where the DC goes up when augmented is a good idea as a PLA too. Unlike SLAs, such PLAs would scale with your level and be harder to resist.

For example, Psionic Charm would make a good PLA because it effectively morphs into Charm Monster and auto-heightens.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-15, 04:07 AM
Cool.

It should be noted, though, that I'd only get the powers from the mantle, not the ability. They'd be manifested as PLAs too, though.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-15, 04:24 AM
Cool.

It should be noted, though, that I'd only get the powers from the mantle, not the ability. They'd be manifested as PLAs too, though.

I somehow got the impression that it was the other way around.
In that case the Time and Fate mantles are still really good, as is the Creation mantle.