PDA

View Full Version : [Alternative Alignment System] Sanity vs Insanity, Empathy vs Apathy

Xuldarinar
2014-03-14, 08:20 AM
A notion that has only just returned to me. In discussing what would occur if all of the great wheel, save for the material planes, were destroyed, what would happen? I proposed one change would be involved with the alignment system itself. The post itself, is in the following link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16444557&postcount=1337). Now, this doesn't need to pertain to that hypothetical setting, but I would like to share this notion here under homebrew and see what all would change and people's individual thoughts on this.

Anyways, 9 new alignments.

{table]IE|NE|SE
IN|
N|SN
IA|NA|SA[/table]

Insane Empathetic
Neutral Empathetic
Sane Empathetic

Insane Neutral
Neutral
Sane Neutral

Insane Apathetic
Neutral Apathetic
Sane Apathetic

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-14, 08:55 AM
I am assuming empathetic here means the ability to feel passionate/care about stuff in general.

My big question is: what the heck is insane/sane neutral of all things?

Now into da juicy stuffs: This seems interesting, as it looka to be a scale to just your ability to participate in a cause and get passionate about it. This means that this is both flexible and open ended. The down side of tbat advantage is the gross inconsistency that will occur between characters of identical alignments. A dedicated rapist who takes aincere joy from each horrific act he perpetrates and the gentle soul who rises above his heinous acts and dedicates themself to caring for his victims at any.cost would both end up at IE. While it is consistent thematically (they have more alike than either would care to admit) it would ve a mechanical nightmare.

This is certainly interesting, but I am faitly certain it won't work in stabdard DnD fluff. I. could see building a world around it, but I would first recommend you clarify those aligents

Xuldarinar
2014-03-14, 05:28 PM
My big question is: what the heck is insane/sane neutral of all things?

While sane and insane are clear enough, neutral isn't and I understand.

It cannot be simple but to put it as simply as possible, while insane characters have no real grip on reality and sane have such a grip, neutral in this case would be individuals who have their delusions but are still grounded. Individuals going insane but aren't quite there. Individuals who are sane but perhaps regularly hallucinate or something like that.

Now into da juicy stuffs: This seems interesting, as it looka to be a scale to just your ability to participate in a cause and get passionate about it. This means that this is both flexible and open ended. The down side of tbat advantage is the gross inconsistency that will occur between characters of identical alignments. A dedicated rapist who takes aincere joy from each horrific act he perpetrates and the gentle soul who rises above his heinous acts and dedicates themself to caring for his victims at any.cost would both end up at IE. While it is consistent thematically (they have more alike than either would care to admit) it would ve a mechanical nightmare.

Granted, but no alignment system is perfect. Even in the standard:anti-heroes, anti-villains, non-heroes (yes there are differences between the three), and villains can all be of CE alignment.

malonkey1
2014-03-14, 08:41 PM
It cannot be simple but to put it as simply as possible, while insane characters have no real grip on reality and sane have such a grip, neutral in this case would be individuals who have their delusions but are still grounded. Individuals going insane but aren't quite there. Individuals who are sane but perhaps regularly hallucinate or something like that.

I suppose a good example would be Crichton from Farscape: You can tell he's pretty nuts, but he's usually pretty lucid and he's far from impaired. In five words or less, daft but not actually impaired.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-14, 08:54 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant what were the insane neutral and sane neutral alignments. IE/SE/IA/SA made some general sense.

malonkey1
2014-03-14, 10:29 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant what were the insane neutral and sane neutral alignments. IE/SE/IA/SA made some general sense.

Insane-Neutral: He's far too occupied with the fish people to realize that there are others to worry about. If it's brought to his attention, he cares about others, but he won't necessarily look out for others that aren't near and dear to him. Example: River Tam (Firefly)

Sane-Neutral: He's lucid, clear-headed, and while he feels bad when bad things happen to others, but he's more worried about his own skin. He makes rational decisions most of the time, but he'll likely put himself first when it doesn't actively hurt others. Example: Arthur Dent (H2G2)

Neutral-Neutral: A bit neurotic, perhaps less than fully clear-headed, and perhaps too caught up in his own issues to worry about others. He's not selfish or sociopathic, but he's got a lot on his mind. Examples: ...Can't really think of any at the moment.

toapat
2014-03-15, 10:17 AM
I think the problem on the Insane Neutral Sane scale is that everyone considers themselves sane

I also think it should be for the vertical scale:

Empathetic, Apathetic, and Egotistical.

vasharanpaladin
2014-03-16, 11:21 PM
Granted, but no alignment system is perfect.

This one is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157001)

But then, I'm biased against any system that assumes sanity and/or morality are objective. :smallyuk:

toapat
2014-03-17, 01:01 AM
This one is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157001)

But then, I'm biased against any system that assumes sanity and/or morality are objective. :smallyuk:

that one isnt either. its actually pretty bad of a translation. Assuming you put your own effort in, ya its really good, But as is he left it at basically having read the basic articles and ignored alot of the rest of the system, As well as providing falacious ideas like "White = Good". As far as whats there its a start, but its not by any means how the color wheel works.

but even then it will break down if you dig long enough,