PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile [3.5/Pathfinder]

malonkey1
2014-03-14, 08:55 AM
Magic Missile, to me, is the one spell that's uniquely "D&D". It's a signature spell, and I have rarely encountered a Wizard or Sorcerer that didn't know it. So my question is, what's the best way to optimize it, and what are the advantages and disadvantages to it over other attack spells (noting beforehand that blasting is sub-optimal)?

CyberThread
2014-03-14, 09:01 AM
look up a build using force missile mage prc, you will find a good set of answers and ideas.

Killer Angel
2014-03-14, 09:04 AM
IN PF, a nice trick that doesn't require too much resources, is to pick the magical lineage trait, with Toppling Spell as metamagic feat (good at low levels but even at higher ones, 'cos basically for free, when you have more magic missiles, every one of them forces a ST to avoid being tripped)

Slipperychicken
2014-03-14, 09:05 AM
Magic Missile, to me, is the one spell that's uniquely "D&D". It's a signature spell, and I have rarely encountered a Wizard or Sorcerer that didn't know it. So my question is, what's the best way to optimize it, and what are the advantages and disadvantages to it over other attack spells (noting beforehand that blasting is sub-optimal)?

It's generally optimized in 3.5 by stacking metamagics like fell drain to inflict dozens of negative levels without a saving throw or attack roll.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-14, 09:08 AM
Also, see arcane spellsurge and other shinanagins to throw out every spell slot you have as magic missiles, in one round.