PDA

View Full Version : Character art

boxfox
2014-03-14, 12:33 PM
Hey all.
I'm not very good at drawing but I'm trying to get a picture of my new character. He's a dragonborn satyr.

My question is where do you folks go to get your character pictures, if you do it at all?

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 12:38 PM
Hey all.
I'm not very good at drawing but I'm trying to get a picture of my new character. He's a dragonborn satyr.

My question is where do you folks go to get your character pictures, if you do it at all?
My own skill. I did this (http://ravens-cry.deviantart.com/art/Rock-Dwarf-Character-Portrait-283651221)for a forum friend, though I prefer to work with Pencils mostly. I would be more than willing to help out though.

Psyren
2014-03-14, 12:42 PM
Image search, or image extract from one of my PDFs if there's something in there that matches a concept I like.

boxfox
2014-03-14, 12:55 PM
Nice work, Ravens. How long did it take?

Psyren, I've been doing exactly that for a few hours now...normally it's not too bad but this one is killin me.

Psyren
2014-03-14, 01:00 PM
"Dragonborn satyr" isn't a very common combination unfortunately. You may have to manually splice something yourself using GIMP/Photoshop.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 01:06 PM
Nice work, Ravens. How long did it take?

Psyren, I've been doing exactly that for a few hours now...normally it's not too bad but this one is killin me.
About a day or so. Some extra details would be nice if you wish for my help.
Are they all scales or do they have furry legs and a goat beard? Is there head dragon or satyr? What, if any, kind of horns? Do they have wings? What kind of gear, weapons and clothes are they wearing, if any? What kind of pose do you want? Defensive and cringing, sly and sneaky, heroic and bold?

Snowbluff
2014-03-14, 01:29 PM
I draw them myself. (http://ekmars.deviantart.com/gallery/32586880) :smalltongue:

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 01:41 PM
I don't typically search for a picture as I build thematic builds most times around a fully fleshed out fantasy character from other sources.

But in your case, you could simply take a dragon born, half dragon, or draconic creature which is of the same size, and toss on the bottom legs of the satyr. It is also possible to "move over" the satyr horns, but not nessesary due to the new form of the dragon born.

Manly Man
2014-03-14, 02:01 PM
Yet another guy who draws his (http://manly-man.deviantart.com/) own stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247237).

I should probably update my GitP thread too, if I'd be allowed to do so without getting it locked or something.

N. Jolly
2014-03-14, 02:03 PM
A lot of people who want more complex stuff often end up commissioning people. I know I have someone commissioned right now (their asking price for me? A legal shiny pokemon with perfect stats, in which I have in spades), and I know I'm busy waiting for it with some hardcore excitement. For avatars and such...isn't there like a request thread or something?

Psyren
2014-03-14, 02:12 PM
Yet another guy who draws his (http://manly-man.deviantart.com/) own stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247237).

I should probably update my GitP thread too, if I'd be allowed to do so without getting it locked or something.

Just PM the mod in that section and get permission; I did that for my handbooks in this section and it was granted.

Manly Man
2014-03-14, 02:17 PM
Just PM the mod in that section and get permission; I did that for my handbooks in this section and it was granted.

I thank 'ee.

boxfox
2014-03-14, 02:55 PM
Are they all scales or do they have furry legs and a goat beard? Is there head dragon or satyr? What, if any, kind of horns? Do they have wings? What kind of gear, weapons and clothes are they wearing, if any? What kind of pose do you want? Defensive and cringing, sly and sneaky, heroic and bold?

Dragon head, and upper torso, satyr from waist down. Horns for sure, either twisty like the satyr in MM1 or very full like the silver dragon in MM1. Coloration is silvery scales and then gray hair for satyr bits.
No wings.
character will be a variant druid that focuses exclusively on wild shape, so not much clothing. maybe some magical jewelry or bracers...light weight stuff. No weapons, but the hands should be clawed like a dragon.

He is pretty calm and thoughtful, so a proud stance sounds good.

Thanks for offering to help! The game starts next weekend and my photoshop skills are very very rusty :P

Do it in any medium you're comfortable with!

Ravens_cry
2014-03-14, 03:08 PM
I am on it.:smallsmile:

boxfox
2014-03-14, 03:19 PM
:biggrin::biggrin:

Zaq
2014-03-14, 03:42 PM
I don't think I've ever had a specific depiction of a character. I've never really felt a specific need for it.

Especially because, at least by mid-levels, D&D characters end up looking really, really silly. Think about all the crap they're carrying with them! Think about all the ridiculous magic items that they'll never ever part with! They've always got masks or goggles or blindfolds or something incredibly dumb on their faces, just for starters. This is to say nothing of the cloaks and capes and belts and girdles and haversacks and quivers and holy symbols and crowns and tiaras and helmets and spare weapons and other spare weapons and other OTHER spare weapons and knee pads and elbow pads and wands and scrolls and potions and staves and rods and hookshots and bags and boxes and books and bandoliers and holsters and scabbards and gloves and gauntlets and purses and money belts and tunics and tabards and battle standards and ten foot poles and eleven foot poles and tattoos and grafts and spirits and familiars and spell component pouches and shields and bucklers and spiked chains and coils of rope and torches and flasks of booze and on and on and on! And a good number of those are equipped (meaning on your person, in the appropriate spot, ready for action and immediate use) 24 hours a day! Even if you have a Bag of Holding, your beloved character is still carrying around a huge-ass Santa sack (a BoH isn't actually that small, you know) day in and day out! Sure, at low levels, you don't have as much magical crap, but you're also less likely to have extradimensional storage for your mundane crap, so you're still dealing with your bedroll and torches and lanterns and rope and rations and everything else.

I mean, it could be really funny to see an accurate depiction of what your average, say, level 10 character really looks like when they're exploring hostile territory. But I'd doubt that most character pictures (whether on paper/pixels or just in your head) happen to account for your stuff.

. . . This post did not end the way I started it. But I stand by it.

boxfox
2014-03-14, 04:04 PM
Decent rant, Zaq. :P

Luckily, it won't apply to me. :smallbiggrin:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/4062951
This is the URL to a forum post I did on the Wizards site for a class I made.

I've made a few minor changes...some of the suggestions for the folks below, but it's mostly the same. I will be spending almost all of my time as absolutely anyone/thing but myself. :P

Yorrin
2014-03-14, 04:12 PM
For future characters that are a little more "human" (or Dwarf), I like to use heromachine (http://www.heromachine.com/). Version 2 is by far the easier to use, but version 3 has a lot of options and might even be able to cover some stranger stuff like your Dragonborn Satyr. Not as good as a custom piece of art, but usually faster and not dependent on someone with actual art skill.

N. Jolly
2014-03-14, 04:54 PM
I don't think I've ever had a specific depiction of a character. I've never really felt a specific need for it.

I mean, it could be really funny to see an accurate depiction of what your average, say, level 10 character really looks like when they're exploring hostile territory. But I'd doubt that most character pictures (whether on paper/pixels or just in your head) happen to account for your stuff.

I've actually made an art rule for my characters that states that they'll only be depicted with mundane gear unless something magical is a large part of their character. So that way I don't have "So what's that ninth sword on their back?" "Oh, that's their spare Holy Avenger, they use it to clean out the toilet after evil chili night."

boxfox
2014-03-14, 05:18 PM
HAHAHA.

I tried the hero builder...used 3. It was ok for something that took 20 minutes, I guess, but just not "Personal" enough for me...

Stoneback
2014-03-14, 06:03 PM
I draw my own when the need arises. But usually there's something good if you just do a Bing search.

A dragonborn satyr-- that might be a unique mashup tho. Never heard of it, never thought of it, never saw one. Nice.

boxfox
2014-03-15, 09:33 AM
:smalleek:
So excited! The anticipation is driving me nuts!
:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2014-03-15, 03:31 PM
:smalleek:
So excited! The anticipation is driving me nuts!
:smallbiggrin:
Wait no more. :smallbiggrin:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/ravens_cry/dragonborn_satyr_zps476e9bec.gif
I hope it pleases, but, if not, I can do what I can.

malonkey1
2014-03-15, 03:47 PM

Especially because, at least by mid-levels, D&D characters end up looking really, really silly. Think about all the crap they're carrying with them! Think about all the ridiculous magic items that they'll never ever part with! They've always got masks or goggles or blindfolds or something incredibly dumb on their faces, just for starters. This is to say nothing of the cloaks and capes and belts and girdles and haversacks and quivers and holy symbols and crowns and tiaras and helmets and spare weapons and other spare weapons and other OTHER spare weapons and knee pads and elbow pads and wands and scrolls and potions and staves and rods and hookshots and bags and boxes and books and bandoliers and holsters and scabbards and gloves and gauntlets and purses and money belts and tunics and tabards and battle standards and ten foot poles and eleven foot poles and tattoos and grafts and spirits and familiars and spell component pouches and shields and bucklers and spiked chains and coils of rope and torches and flasks of booze and on and on and on! And a good number of those are equipped (meaning on your person, in the appropriate spot, ready for action and immediate use) 24 hours a day! Even if you have a Bag of Holding, your beloved character is still carrying around a huge-ass Santa sack (a BoH isn't actually that small, you know) day in and day out! Sure, at low levels, you don't have as much magical crap, but you're also less likely to have extradimensional storage for your mundane crap, so you're still dealing with your bedroll and torches and lanterns and rope and rations and everything else.

Actually, you should take a look at the artwork for the Pathfinder Iconic Characters. A few of them look a bit like that, and they look pretty cool.

boxfox
2014-03-15, 04:12 PM
Wait no more. :smallbiggrin:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/ravens_cry/dragonborn_satyr_zps476e9bec.gif
I hope it pleases, but, if not, I can do what I can.

SWEET! That looks LOADS better than the hero builder thing I made. :smallbiggrin:

Very kool! Thanks so much! I'm gonna put it in photoshop and color it...at least I can color. :P

Ravens_cry
2014-03-15, 04:15 PM
SWEET! That looks LOADS better than the hero builder thing I made. :smallbiggrin:

Very kool! Thanks so much! I'm gonna put it in photoshop and color it...at least I can color. :P
Well, colouring is one thing I am bad at, so good luck. I am glad you like it. :smallsmile: