PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Versatile Spellcaster and Bonus Spells Known

Zweisteine
2014-03-14, 04:19 PM
Can a sorcerer with Versatile Spellcaster use it to cast spells above his normal maximum spell level that he gained from other sources?

The Sand Shaper gets a ton of bonus spells, worded like so:

If you are a spontaneous caster (such as a sorcerer), these spells are available to you like any other spell you know. You cannot cast a spell of higher level than the maximum spell level you can cast. These spells become options for you when you gain access to the appropriate spell level.
This one seems (i.e. intends) to state that you can only cast the spells when you have access to spell slots of the appropriate level, but the actual wording seems more ambiguous. Versatile Spellcaster technically gives you access to higher spell levels, so it seems like that could work. RAI, it certainly shouldn't, but would RAW allow it?

More interestingly, the various bloodline feats from the Dragon Compendium are more direct in their wording.

Your ancestry gives you a bonus spell known at each level, starting at 1st, according to the following list.
The list, of course, includes spells of each level. Would this and versatile spellcaster allow you to cast the next higher level spell from the bloodline? It seems to me like the RAW supports that.

Thanks for reading!

Kazudo
2014-03-14, 04:23 PM
I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work per RAW. As long as the Versatile Spellcaster Sorcerer knows the spell, I don't see why he can't drop two spells to cast it. This does, of course, only work for the level above the ones he dropped. So, for example, a first level Versatile Spellcaster Sorcerer can't cast higher than 2nd level spells with Versatile Spellcaster, and that would involve burning two 1st level spell slots (barring any effects which specifically allow this) which, without bonus spells or spell slots, is nearly their entire allotment of 1st level spells per day.

Zweisteine
2014-03-14, 04:28 PM
Yes, but a tenth-level sorcerer... And if you get bonus spells somehow (tainted scholar, anyone?)...

Kazudo
2014-03-14, 04:30 PM
It's pretty clear to me. If you know a spell one level higher than your highest spells/day, you can burn two of those spells to get that spell you know but can't cast yet as long as it's only one spell level higher than your highest. There's nothing that I can find banning that.