PDA

View Full Version : Positive and Negative Energy Planes

Secret Bard
2014-03-14, 06:05 PM
Ok so I am trying to find a certain rule about the Positive and Negative energy planes. I could have sworn I read or heard from somewhere that while on the positive energy plane, a living creature is filled with positive energy (constantly healing them) until they explode in bright colors. I also read that on the Negative energy plane a living creature is filled with negative energy (constantly hurting them) till they wither and die... Or atleast I thought I read that somewhere.

I can't seem to find the rules for that anywhere. Was it in a 3.0 book? Or am I just making this up? I might be going a bit crazy, I don't know anymore.

So does anyone know where these rules are if they exist? If not I apologize.

OldTrees1
2014-03-14, 06:12 PM
Manual of the Planes 3.0
Yes the positive energy plane will kill anything vulnerable to a Fort save
Yes the negative energy plane will kill anything vulnerable to negative energy

Secret Bard
2014-03-14, 06:40 PM
That's it! Thank you so much, really appreciate it :)

Necroticplague
2014-03-14, 06:43 PM
Manual of the Planes 3.0
Yes the negative energy plane will kill anything vulnerable to negative energybold emphasis

Thus creating the classic rules issue that undead don't have anything to worry about on the positive.

Valwyn
2014-03-14, 07:04 PM
Isn't it strange that living things can get overloaded with positive energy but undead can't get too much negative energy? :smallconfused:

Worira
2014-03-14, 07:17 PM
Also, SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/planes.htm)

Coidzor
2014-03-14, 08:03 PM

Unless they take up some variant of self-harm, anyway.

Story
2014-03-14, 08:17 PM
Isn't it strange that living things can get overloaded with positive energy but undead can't get too much negative energy? :smallconfused:

Undead aren't affected by the Negative Energy Plane at all.

Anyway, Steadfast Determination could be useful for navigating the PEP too.

Also, SRD link for planar effects. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm)

Brookshw
2014-03-14, 09:25 PM

Interesting point, when I started reading this I thought you were going to say something about undead being healed on the positive energy plane. Hadn't ever thought much about that aspect of the negative.

afroakuma
2014-03-14, 09:32 PM

Not really. At worst I'd expect their physical structure, if any, to degrade. Their animus is essentially pure negative energy not stabilized into a particular state or form; they are destruction wielding a puppet for utility purposes. Positive energy is about potential; the living are not pure positive energy, they are sparks of positive energy contained within lesser stuff.

Also, there are some areas in the Negative Energy Plane filled with voidstone, a nasty stuff that can destroy undead on contact, so at its most concentrated, yes, negative energy can make the undead go boom. Or vwoop, as the case may be.

Know(Nothing)
2014-03-16, 03:36 AM
Also worth noting that an Evolved Undead(template from Libris Mortis) comes about when an undead is exposed to more negative energy than normal(or lives long enough to be enhanced by its own inherent negative energy.) An undead exposed to a plane of negative energy would have a strong argument to just keep stacking that template by existing there long enough.