PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ranged Warlock Blaster

Valwyn
2014-03-14, 07:01 PM
I was wondering, is there any way to make an effective blaster warlock that isn't a glaive/claw-lock? I was thinking something along the lines of Roy Mustang (http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Roy_Mustang) from Full Metal Alchemist, including specializing in fire, if possible. Race will probably be human. This is mostly just for fun, so don't worry if it isn't very effective. :smallsmile:

For the invocations, I was thinking something along the lines of:
Least:
Baleful Utterance: Shatter is nice
Eldritch Spear: sniping with no penalty from up to 250 ft is nice
Sickening Blast: the smell of charred bodies must be pretty bad

Lesser:
Brimstone Blast: kill it with fire! :smallfurious:
Beshadowed Blast: boiling the water in someone's eyes. :smalleek:
Eldritch Chain: not very good, but could come in handy

Greater: I have an extra one, I'll probably get rid of Eldritch Cone.
Eldritch Cone: I guess it's good for an AoE blast, but reflexes tend to be a bad save to target.
Noxious Blast: forcing the target to take only a move action sound good to me
Repelling Blast: a bit of battlefield control. Too bad it's limited to medium creatures.
Wall of Perilous Flame: half the damage is infernal (or something) so it can't be resisted. Could also work as a Destruction if the target is killed by the fire.

Dark: not many great things here for a blaster
Eldritch Doom: because sometimes you are surrounded and can't get away.

For feats, I was thinking Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast), Quicken SLA, and (Greater) Spell Penetration. Does Mobile Spellcaster apply to invocations? Invocations seem similar enough to spells to work.

For items, I think Warlock's Scepter (+1 to ranged touch attacks plus bonus damage), Greater Chasuble of Fell Power (a free +2d6 to EB), and some Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (bonus damage). These items would add up to 6d6 damage (sadly, the Scepter and the Gloves both need a swift action, so you can't use them in a single round to get +10d6).

Assuming you can't bind Naberious or use other tricks, how worth it is Hellfire Warlock?

Particle_Man
2014-03-14, 07:37 PM
I would consider Fell Flight and Chill Tentacles. One to keep the meelee only guys from getting to you too easily, the other to hold people down a bit while you blast them some more.

Urpriest
2014-03-14, 08:23 PM
Assuming you can't bind Naberious or use other tricks, how worth it is Hellfire Warlock?

Depends what you actually mean by "use other tricks". After all, using wands of Restoration is also a trick.

Bakkan
2014-03-15, 12:41 AM
To expand upon Urpriest's point, I would consider 12 points of Consitution healing per day the minimum amount necessary to make Hellfire Warlock possibly worth it. That's enough for three hellfire blasts in each of four encounters per day.

A single rod of bodily restoration is sufficient, as is four (on average) daily charges from a wand of lesser restoration.