PDA

View Full Version : Healing Outside of Combat

Sylthia
2014-03-14, 07:25 PM
With my current campaign I've started letting my PCs have max healing with Cure X Wounds outside of combat. I've found it works pretty well. It's a lot quicker to heal up after combat, and even though it's often better to heal outside of combat, they seem to try to heal outside of combat, now, likely to get more bang for the buck.

Role playing wise, I can justify it by saying they can focus more on the spell when not facing a horde of angry chickens or other monsters.

Does anyone else have experience or opinions on this?

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-14, 07:31 PM
Do you let other spell cast out of combat get maximized ?

What if I cast false life on my self out of combat?

What if I'm out of combat and I want to cast a fireball? Does that get maximized because I can focus on it more?

How about awaken?

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-14, 07:34 PM
I just get a Wand of Lesser Vigor and don't worry about it. Why would I use spell slots on healing after the party has gained 750 gp as a group?

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2710

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-14, 07:36 PM
switch cure X wounds wands for wands of lesser vigor, they give 22 HP per charge no question asked.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-14, 07:41 PM
switch cure X wounds wands for wands of lesser vigor, they give 22 HP per charge no question asked.

11 hp for the l1 750 gp one.

Sylthia
2014-03-14, 07:42 PM
We're doing Pathfinder at the moment, so I don't think lesser vigor wands are available. I'm not against them, though. It does help streamline things, I've found.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-14, 07:42 PM
We're doing Pathfinder at the moment, so I don't think lesser vigor wands are available. I'm not against them, though. It does help streamline things, I've found.

So use Cure Light Wounds wands. Same difference, slight different cost per hit point.

Sylthia
2014-03-14, 07:47 PM
So use Cure Light Wounds wands. Same difference, slight different cost per hit point.

We do use the wands. The max rule applies to them as well.

Kudaku
2014-03-14, 07:54 PM
We typically use wands of Infernal Healing - Pathfinder's slightly shady version of Lesser Vigor.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 08:02 PM

What if I'm out of combat and I want to cast a fireball? Does that get maximized because I can focus on it more?

How about awaken?

I think what we are getting on is whether you apply the same logic to other spells. If it's only healing maybe you should give another fluff explanation to make sense "you can better concentrate on your connection to your god when you channel positive energy, when you cast a cure x wounds as a 1 minute cast time you can maximize it". Its consistent in that it can't be used in combat (a maximized cure which takes 10 rounds to cast, no thank you), and OOC time matters only a little.

With the people I used to game with, they would argue if the fluff was inconsistent and argue to make things universal / consistent. This sometimes would lead to 2 hours of talking with little in game progression just to make things consistent.

SinsI
2014-03-14, 08:09 PM
Command word item of Cure Minor Wounds is 0.5*1*1800 gp = 900 gp for unlimited out-of-combat healing for the whole group.
If it is limited to only caster that already has that spell, you can shave another 30% off it, bringing the cost down to 630 gp - less than a wand of Lesser Vigor would cost.

Sylthia
2014-03-14, 08:22 PM
I think what we are getting on is whether you apply the same logic to other spells. If it's only healing maybe you should give another fluff explanation to make sense "you can better concentrate on your connection to your god when you channel positive energy, when you cast a cure x wounds as a 1 minute cast time you can maximize it". Its consistent in that it can't be used in combat (a maximized cure which takes 10 rounds to cast, no thank you), and OOC time matters only a little.

With the people I used to game with, they would argue if the fluff was inconsistent and argue to make things universal / consistent. This sometimes would lead to 2 hours of talking with little in game progression just to make things consistent.

I could reshape the fluff to extend the cast time. Luckily my group are not as big of Munchkins as some.

The Grue
2014-03-14, 08:32 PM

The Pathfinder version is Infernal Healing. It's a Wiz/Sorc spell, because Arcane casters needed better spells right?

Pex
2014-03-14, 10:18 PM
My group does this for any source of healing. It still uses up resources, so we're not getting away with anything. It lessens the amount of times we need to "rest for the night". Our daily healing resources last longer, the warriors who need the hit points have them, spellcasters don't nova unless it's the BBEG fight, so we adventure more during the game day.

Sylthia
2014-03-14, 10:43 PM
My group does this for any source of healing. It still uses up resources, so we're not getting away with anything. It lessens the amount of times we need to "rest for the night". Our daily healing resources last longer, the warriors who need the hit points have them, spellcasters don't nova unless it's the BBEG fight, so we adventure more during the game day.

That was my reasoning when implementing the rule.

Coidzor
2014-03-14, 10:51 PM
Infinite Cure Minor Wounds might be a better way to do it within the rules. Or just create a houserule that allows them to heal to full HP from taking 5 minutes to rest. That way any time they have time inbetween combats they can just skip ahead a few minutes and they're healed, but if they're on a timer or want to press on while their shorter duration buffs are still up, then they have to live with their HP totals and whatever fast healing they have.

Invader
2014-03-14, 11:04 PM
I've been in lots of groups where this was a common rule.

Say the target isn't exerting himself outside of combat as opposed to how it is while they're fighting and his body is better able to utilize the healing magic.

Kudaku
2014-03-15, 06:24 AM
The Pathfinder version is Infernal Healing. It's a Wiz/Sorc spell, because Arcane casters needed better spells right?

Actually Infernal Healing is on the cleric/oracle, wizard/sorcerer, magus, summoner and witch lists.

Sylthia
2014-03-15, 07:33 AM
Actually Infernal Healing is on the cleric/oracle, wizard/sorcerer, magus, summoner and witch lists.

Which source book is that spell from?

Kudaku
2014-03-15, 07:35 AM
It's on page 295 in the Inner Sea World Guide, though I'm reasonably sure it was printed somewhere else before that.

HammeredWharf
2014-03-15, 07:38 AM
I'd use the average value to avoid unnecessary houserules.

SiuiS
2014-03-15, 07:43 AM

How about awaken?

You're abstracting it wrong.

A character can optimize for infinite noncombat healing with nothing more than being a [healing class] and having a [feat or item]. So why not say players who don't optimize can do the same? The value of infinite out-of-combat healing is one broad decision along lines of class or basic build focus. That's it.

It's stupid to say no, your class can't heal well, instead of a healer you should have played a dragon shaman or dragonfire adept or dread necromancer or just bought some wands. It's within the realm of power of a T3 character of that level. Let them have it.