PDA

View Full Version : Being the BBEG

.Zero
2014-03-14, 08:28 PM
Some weeks ago my mind was enlightened by the Joker Bard concept and now I'm wondering: is it possible for a PC to be the campaign evil, recurring, final boss?
I'm gonna show you what I have in my mind:

Let's say you're playing a campaign with your party. One day you eventually betray your comrades and become the BBEG. From now on your campaign is split into two: on one side there'll be you're party and on the other side ther will be you, alone, eternally facing your ex friends through the end. Above everyone else ther'll be the DM, guaranteeing the regularity of the challenge.

Now: do you think this is doable or this would probably end up being the most stupid thing you'll ever see?
And if it is doable how would you handle the situation as the BBEG? Which tactics will you use, and how will you torment the party?

The best i tought was being a Thrallherd. I think it's very well fitting the role of the evil mastermind tempting to enslave the whole world and its class features are just too perfect for this purpose: total disposal over an infinite number of totally willing servants (with class levels!!!) makes you an absolute tyrant and a pain in the ass for everyone. And maybe this method is the only "non totally cheesy" way for a PC to be a Thrallherd, though I'm not certain of how could you efficiently protect yourself from the scry'n'die...

And how to PLAY this crap? I mean, you just can't sit on the table together with the party and let them see you're evil plans and deals... i think the most effective way is a play by chat campaign, but I'm not sure. Maybe this is the less important problem or maybe this is the most important, i don't know.

Thoughs? Suggestions? Insults?

NoACWarrior
2014-03-14, 08:52 PM
For what you are suggesting, a single PC could possibly be the BBEG, and the party may have to be split (with different sessions).

The issue is that the BBEG's CR rating is borked because the separated PC now has to face a full adventuring party, and unless he has some type of advantage, like NPC doppelgangers, or 3-4 more class levels than the PCs, the PCs may faceroll him.

Its inconvenient to have to run two sessions, but IF the player wants to spend twice as much of your DM time, he or she can. Alternatively you could ALSO have the player roll a new character as a replacement who is opposed to the BBEG, so that the player puts in the additional effort to mirror your double sessions.

Vhaidara
2014-03-14, 09:02 PM
Before my group switched DMs, I was going to do this. The group had one good, three neutrals, and an evil. Butbthen the evil player switched colleges, so he had to drop. He had just switches from wizard to dread necro, and I was going to have him be the final boss. So I told him to level his character up to 24, add in the lich template, and pick up divine rank 0. Then I gave him 40HD of major minions to work with, distributed among at least 3 major minions. Then I would control the undead hordes while he got to directly run the boss and the big minions in the boss fight.

Brookshw
2014-03-14, 09:32 PM
Insults?

You look horrible in green. I'm also partially color blind and can't really see green well so, ya know.

Otherwise it can work, hope the groups down first though. Big challenge is dm face time, you'll probably need a lot more to be able to plan fast enough. Could be annoying when you're all sitting around the table. If you can do some off screen via notes or between sessions would be better. Another bit would be not really fair maybe for you to be present while the party is doing, well, anything as it would give you metaknowledge the character wouldn't have.

Could work, be careful.