PDA

View Full Version : Creating a spell system

maniacalmojo
2014-03-14, 11:02 PM
I am in the works of creating my own RPG system that is somewhat a cross between the story telling system of white wolf and the system of D&D.

I love D&D but i really hate casters. The mechanics of how casting works really bugs me. A level 20 wizard should not run out of spells for instance and low level players should be able to recover magic outside of sleeping for eight hours.

I want to change up how the casting classes work and want to do it in a way that is balanced, fun and viable.

Things i have incorporated for reference
Sorcerers and wizards are now very different. Sorcerers use expressive magic which is very primal and sudden. They can cast on the turn they prepare the spell and the spells are all simple but powerful. In comparison a lot of it is similar to what evocation and illusion attempted to be.

Wizards have to make a concentration roll to cast a memorized spell or a deciepher script and spellcraft to cast from a spellbook. They must take a number of turns equal to the spell level to cast a spell. Certain metamagics will help lower the casting time to an extent. There is always a chance of arcane failure.

Summoning has been removed. You are able to make a contract with certain creatures which requires a ritual an explicitly written contract and the creature will not fight to the death. If you attempt to abuse the creature (sending it through a dungeon to test for traps for instance) It can opt out and dispell itself. If you attempt to bind it and force it to listen it can fight back, the contract will be void at this time and the recipient will take damage along with be unable to use spells for a time.

Fly/Invisiblity/plane shift/rope trick and other similar abused spells will not be implemented or will be implemented later on at further spell levels.

Loasty625
2014-03-15, 03:32 AM
In Tome of Magic as Showcasters gain access to higher powered mysteries they also become more adept at using their lower-leveled mysteries. The casting loses its different components, and eventually the simplest mysteries become at-will spell-like abilities.
I've often thought that my Wizards, and heck, even my Sorcerers ran out of spells too often, and I considered home-brewing a Sorcerer class that used something similar to the Shadowcaster's method.
I've only played D&D, and a little Mutants and Masterminds, so I'm not sure when I say this, but doesn't pathfinder work with daily spells, encounter spells, and at-will spells? That system may appeal to you more.
Also, there is a Variant rule system on pg 57 of Unearthed Arcana titled "Recharge Magic". In that variant every caster is sort of like a spontaneous caster, and you have no limit of spell's per day, but a recharge time instead. For the most part the longest you'd ever have to wait for a spell to recharge is 1d6+1 rounds, though many spells have their own specific recharge time listed on a giant chart to balance the game.
This variant could work for D&D, and could also become the base for whatever system you invent.