PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Picking a class

Spore
2014-03-15, 05:30 AM
Greetings playground,

I will have a new group pretty soon in addition to my old ones. We will start on 1 with a Final Fantasy 8 inspired military academy that will boost us to about 3.

The twist on things is that my co players will be new to PF and D&D and most likely will choose some standard tropes and popular or obscure mangaesque character concepts. Their focus is on roleplaying and they played several tool classes on Shadowrun.

I excepted one or two tricky rogue type heroes although not two rogues because the players are communicating very good. I think about 1-2 casters with the rest being wildcards. Now to me:

I really want to complement their setup but I don't know their setup or exact play style. My ideas are constantly shifting among Oradin (although I dislike the notion as this would be my third oracle), druid, wizard, summoner, some sneaky archer (to complement their play style of avoiding encounters or setting up traps) or a melee brute when we get forced into basic combat.

I am really not sure since my DM said I shouldn't optimize. My basic thoughts:

1) Summoner Shadow Caller Fetchling: This one is a variant on the summoner and will net a very good "rogue eidolon". I fear I will outstrip the inevitable rogue in terms of scouting however. If we can get an agreement that the eidolon scouts and she does everything else the eidolon can't I would do it. I think my DM would freak at the idea on an +19 Sneak modifier on Lv 1 with the 20% concealment so the eidolon can basically hide in plain sight unless the DM states otherwise. The summoner itself would bolster the frontline with brutes and buff the party.

2) Oradin: This one is quite good in theory. The world's paladins are very liberal (breaking the law to abide to the golden rule is fine, doing good is more important than abiding laws). But we're doing mercenary work. And this would be my third oracle and I am getting pretty tired of the clerical spell list already. Also with Final Fantasy 1 being so close to D&D I feel like one girl is bound to do a "white mage" concept.

3) Wizard: Ah, the class that can outstrip entire parties. Granted this is PF, we are beginning on 1 and I am no arcane expert either I really want to use this class at least once. Still even with a mediocre Int score, some scrolls and clever spell usage I can break combat. Granted I could get creative with illusions but I am a very inimaginative person.

4) Druid: I played a druid before and I love it. It's flexible but still a T1 caster. Also with the magepunk vibe going on I have no idea how to bring a defender of nature into a mercenary group. There is a major conflict brewing up and I feel like being a sellsword is the exact opposite a druid should be doing.

5) Alchemist: I am sure the girls won't even know this class and it's baseline is terrible enough to not outstrip everyone even when optimized. Still I would love to give up the entire "Jekyll" part for just a few more extracts. I love being a potion master or brewing up explosives but I really do not like having mutagens or poisons for that matter. If anyone knows an archetype changing the class this way, tell me.

Killer Angel
2014-03-15, 05:48 AM
I'd play the summoner, mainly because i love the class. And if the group will lack heavy hitters, you can change a little your concept and cover easily the role.

docnessuno
2014-03-15, 06:15 AM
I'd play the summoner, mainly because i love the class. And if the group will lack heavy hitters, you can change a little your concept and cover easily the role.

While i love the summoner myself, it's the kind of class hat will easily outshine a low-op group in their own field of expertise.

What about a Witch focused on buffing and debuffing?
Arcane casting with a pinch of healing should get along well with any group.

Spore
2014-03-15, 06:46 AM

I know. That's the basic beauty. Also I want to make some kind of parody of Pokemon and Final Fantasy Summons. The world we play in has magical contraptions that can keep elementals to power engines (much like Eberron) so it isn't far off to make "pokeballs" out of that and summon the eidolon like that fluffwise. Somatic component: Throwing a ball, Vocal component: Go Pikachu.

Also I want to explain the eidolon's attacks in small movie proportions. Once or twice per session (because jokes get boring).

While i love the summoner myself, it's the kind of class hat will easily outshine a low-op group in their own field of expertise.

What about a Witch focused on buffing and debuffing?
Arcane casting with a pinch of healing should get along well with any group.

Yeah well. I can get my eidolon to do almost everything - just not at the same time. Building a Lv 1 eidolon isn't that time consuming so maybe if I build the hero in advance and choose my eidolon chassis. Then I will assign the three evolutions when we have the first session.

I would stick evolutionist on it but I can't really morph the eidolon until 6 (and by there we all know our roles in the party).

Regarding the witch: I thought of that. Still I feel not comfortable playing a witch. I do not like Hexes and I miss several of my favorite arcane spells.