PDA

View Full Version : Questions and help (undead wizard)

x-Anarion-x
2014-03-15, 06:51 AM
Greetings,

My necropolitan wizard/beguiler is about to start on his quest for havoc, destruction, candy and knowledge.

First: Familiars, I thought I had read somewhere that undead wizards can only get certain familiars (rat and a bat) because other animals might shun you.

Second: I al building towards an Ultimagus. If I ever get that far I wonder if the prestige class of Archmage is a good follow up. And if yes why so (because I think 3 feats is very expansive and because the Ultimagus special power is ,somewhat, all about metamagic feats)

Third (actually 2.5): Does the Archmage prestige class advance both arcane caster levels? (as in will my wizard as well as my beguiler casting power increase if I take the Archmage OR will only 1 advance?)

4th (actually 3.5... but 3.5 owns 4.0 anyway so....): Does an undead wizard need to rest 8hours to be able to prepare his spells? (Seems a bit odd as an undead does not tire and is immune to mind effecting spells, and I think that being mentally tired/not rested is pretty much the same as being effected by a mind effect)

Regards,
Anárion

TuggyNE
2014-03-15, 07:20 AM
Third (actually 2.5): Does the Archmage prestige class advance both arcane caster levels? (as in will my wizard as well as my beguiler casting power increase if I take the Archmage OR will only 1 advance?)

Only one.

4th (actually 3.5... but 3.5 owns 4.0 anyway so....): Does an undead wizard need to rest 8hours to be able to prepare his spells? (Seems a bit odd as an undead does not tire and is immune to mind effecting spells, and I think that being mentally tired/not rested is pretty much the same as being effected by a mind effect)

Curious, this exact same question was asked just a few hours ago. The answer is yes, they must rest; it need not be sleep, of course, but "restful calm" is still needed.

The reason is essentially the same as the reason undead cannot simply ignore damage dealt while casting spells but must use Concentration same as anyone: there are certain mental functions that they still have identical to any mortal character — indeed, that any non-mindless creature has, even aberrations and outsiders. (Possibly some mindless too; I'm not sure if there are any creatures with mental nonabilities that can cast or use SLAs.)

docnessuno
2014-03-15, 10:52 AM
Second: I al building towards an Ultimagus. If I ever get that far I wonder if the prestige class of Archmage is a good follow up. And if yes why so (because I think 3 feats is very expansive and because the Ultimagus special power is ,somewhat, all about metamagic feats)

If you want to progress your dual-casting you can take a look at the Legacy champion PRC, and use it to advance Ultimate Magus features.
You will need to check with your DM tho, because advancing PRCs past their maximum level is regarded as a grey-area in the rules.

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-15, 02:14 PM
First: Familiars, I thought I had read somewhere that undead wizards can only get certain familiars (rat and a bat) because other animals might shun you.

This is not a general rule for undead spellcasters. Rather, it is a rule specific to vampires.

Vampire sorcerers and wizards retain their class abilities, but if a character has a familiar other than a rat or bat, the link between them is broken, and the familiar shuns its former companion. The character can summon another familiar, but it must be a rat or bat.

Story
2014-03-15, 02:32 PM
Vampires can't have familiars specifically designed for the undead? Talk about RAW dysfunction.

Andezzar
2014-03-15, 03:08 PM
Only one.Sadly the Archmage does not progress the caster level at all, unless the Archamage takes High Arcana (Spell Power) and sacrifices a 5th level spell slot.

Spells per Day/Spells Known

When a new archmage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he became an archmage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of archmage for the purpose of determining spells per day.No mention of caster level increase here.

TuggyNE
2014-03-15, 06:55 PM
Sadly the Archmage does not progress the caster level at all, unless the Archamage takes High Arcana (Spell Power) and sacrifices a 5th level spell slot.
No mention of caster level increase here.

I roll to disbelieve! SAN check!

Andezzar
2014-03-16, 12:39 AM
Failed! ;)

The DMG has the same line and the Errata do not change anything. The Arcane Trickster has the same problem.

The Eldritch Knight and most other PrCs in the DMG that advance casting are worded thusly:

From 2nd level on, when a new eldritch knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.This would also mean no CL increase, however the text continues:
This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
So the rule contradicts itself. Take this as you will.
Newer PrCs make it much clearer:

At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
On the other hand none of the PrCs in Complete Arcane get an increase in caster level. I guess something else is broken with the PrCs in that book.