PDA

View Full Version : What do tier 1-2 do?

qwertyu63
2014-03-15, 08:26 AM
I am working on a homebrew class with tier 1-2 as my goal, so I need to know what tier 1-2 needs to be able to do. I remember reading a list of "things tier 1-2 can do" somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. So, I submit the problem to the hive mind. What do you need to be able to do to qualify as tier 1-2?

EDIT:

Maybe I should have been a little clearer. I'm aware of the power level of tier 1, and the fact that spells are what gets you there. However, I am making a new class with a new spell list. My main question here is "what do I need on that spell list to reach tier 1-2?"

Renen
2014-03-15, 08:35 AM
Here we go again:

Tier 1-2 are spellcasters
Tier 2 are basically spontaneous (sorc is T2)
and Tier 1 are basically prepared (Wizard is T1)

Spells are what make you T1-2 but its the ability to change them every day that sets out T1 as T1.

Thats basically it.

Yanisa
2014-03-15, 08:39 AM
Or from the Tier system tread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0) self:

Tier 1: Capable of doing absolutely everything, often better than classes that specialize in that thing. Often capable of solving encounters with a single mechanical ability and little thought from the player. Has world changing powers at high levels. These guys, if played well, can break a campaign and can be very hard to challenge without extreme DM fiat, especially if Tier 3s and below are in the party.

Tier 2: Has as much raw power as the Tier 1 classes, but can't pull off nearly as many tricks, and while the class itself is capable of anything, no one build can actually do nearly as much as the Tier 1 classes. Still potencially campaign smashers by using the right abilities, but at the same time are more predictable and can't always have the right tool for the job. If the Tier 1 classes are countries with 10,000 nuclear weapons in their arsenal, these guys are countries with 10 nukes. Still dangerous and world shattering, but not in quite so many ways. Note that the Tier 2 classes are often less flexible than Tier 3 classes... it's just that their incredible potential power overwhelms their lack in flexibility.
In practice that leads to what Renen says, spellcasting is game shattering and the more spells you have access too, the stronger you are.

qwertyu63
2014-03-15, 08:45 AM
Here we go again:

Tier 1-2 are spellcasters
Tier 2 are basically spontaneous (sorc is T2)
and Tier 1 are basically prepared (Wizard is T1)

Spells are what make you T1-2 but its the ability to change them every day that sets out T1 as T1.

Thats basically it.

Maybe I should have been a little clearer. I'm aware of the power level of tier 1, and the fact that spells are what gets you there. However, I am making a new class with a new spell list. My main question here is "what do I need on that spell list to reach tier 1-2?"

erikun
2014-03-15, 08:51 AM
Potentially everything.

From a T1 class, I'd expect no-save-just-lose effects, battlefield control (Wall of Stone/Solid Fog), flight, teleportation, divination, ways of bypassing skill checks (Charm Person/Knock, etc.), ways of creating minions or summoned allies, and probably an equivalent to Wish.

For T2, they'd have all the above available but only able to select two or three of them.

nyjastul69
2014-03-15, 09:14 AM

Is the new spell list comprised of homebrew spells or an amalgamation of existing spells?

qwertyu63
2014-03-15, 09:17 AM
Is the new spell list comprised of homebrew spells or an amalgamation of existing spells?

All new stuff. It's actually a truenamer fix complete remake.

Renen
2014-03-15, 09:29 AM
Oh god... yes!!!

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310418839313.jpg

Vhaidara
2014-03-15, 09:53 AM
Potentially everything.

From a T1 class, I'd expect no-save-just-lose effects, battlefield control (Wall of Stone/Solid Fog), flight, teleportation, divination, ways of bypassing skill checks (Charm Person/Knock, etc.), ways of creating minions or summoned allies, and probably an equivalent to Wish.

For T2, they'd have all the above available but only able to select two or three of them.

Basically these. And, lacking wish, actual not-spellcasting class features (druid, receiving both wild shape and animal companion).

Darkweave31
2014-03-15, 10:27 AM
I see the strongest abilities of tier 1 or 2 are abilities as abilities that can totally shift the course of a campaign narrative. For example... teleport and co can completely bypass traveling and many other obstacles. Divination spells can gather information without the need to ask around town and such. In combat they normally have options that can essentially win an encounter. Basically they alter the way the game is played in a very noticeable way when they use their more powerful abilities.