PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bloodline Critiques Desired

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-15, 08:58 AM
Cooking up a custom Bloodline for a DFA. Tell me what you think. Note the character will be a Pseudodragon.

Thanks in Advance!

Shadow Dragon Major Bloodline

1st +2 on Hide Checks
2nd Draconic Heritage-Shadow Dragon
3rd Intelligence +1
4th Draconic Resistance-Negative Energy
5th Shadow Dragon affinity +2
6th Draconic Senses
7th +2 on Move Silently Checks
8th Draconic Skin
9th Constitution +1
10th Draconic Skin Knowledge (DM)
11th Shadow Dragon affinity +4
12th Draconic Aura-Energy
13th +2 on Jump Checks
14th Draconic Toughness
15th Charisma +1
16th Draconic Knowledge (DM) Breath Weapon
17th Shadow Dragon affinity +6
18th Draconic Claw
19th +2 on Use Magic Device Checks
20th Negative Energy Drain Immunity

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-15, 09:54 AM
While it has at least a theme this looks like a shameless attempt to cram in as many bonus feats as possible, all tailored to your build.
And that's the problem, a bloodline should be somewhat generic, not made to fit one build (and this one fits skintight).
If your DM allows it go wild. I certainly wouldn't.

Kazudo
2014-03-15, 10:10 AM
Unearthed Arcana has some "guidelines" for making your own bloodline. It goes something like: (from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#creatingOtherBloodlines))

Character
Level Major Trait Gained
1st Skill boost 1
2nd Special 1
3rd Ability boost 1
4th Special 2
5th Affinity +2
6th Special 3
7th Skill boost 2
8th Special 4
9th Ability boost 2
10th Special 5
11th Affinity +4
12th Special 6
13th Skill boost 3
14th Special 7
15th Ability boost 3
16th Special 8
17th Affinity +6
18th Special 9
19th Skill boost 4
20th Special 10

Most (if not all) of the other dragon major bloodlines gain Alertness at level 2, Energy Resistance 5 at level 4, Natural Armor +1 at level 6, Energy Resistance 10 at level 8, a Spell Like Ability at level 10, another Natural Armor +1 at level 12, Power Attack at 14th, a Breath Weapon at 16th, +1 Natural Armor at 18th, and an Energy Immunity at 20th.

When creating a new bloodline, use those described above as guidelines for appropriate special abilities.

Now, this isn't necessarily how it needs to go, because of Rule 0. However, the above method is the best way to balance bloodlines.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-15, 12:49 PM
Unearthed Arcana has some "guidelines" for making your own bloodline. It goes something like: (from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#creatingOtherBloodlines))

I did follow the skill, special, ability, affinity pattern. As for the "use..above as guidelines" bit, I am going with "The bloodlines described here are by no
means a comprehensive list of all possible permutations. You might choose to create bloodlines of creatures not included here, to create more specialized celestial, demon, or devil bloodlines, or even to create more potent versions of the bloodlines here for use in your game."

Mainly I want to verify the RAW legality of what I have going, and ask for help improving optimization and synergy while maintaining the theme.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-15, 12:52 PM
While it has at least a theme this looks like a shameless attempt to cram in as many bonus feats as possible, all tailored to your build.
And that's the problem, a bloodline should be somewhat generic, not made to fit one build (and this one fits skintight).
If your DM allows it go wild. I certainly wouldn't.

Yes this is a shameless attempt at optimization, the DM voiced the opinion that my race/class combination was under par. It was suggested that if I was keeping Pdragon/DFA that I needed to crank up optimization.

Kazudo
2014-03-15, 01:03 PM
Well, I mean, if you're just gonna do what you want and pose it to your DM, that's up to you. If the DM likes the bloodline, then have fun with it!

I was merely posting my 2cp on the matter.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-15, 01:31 PM
Well, I mean, if you're just gonna do what you want and pose it to your DM, that's up to you. If the DM likes the bloodline, then have fun with it!

I was merely posting my 2cp on the matter.

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, just clarifying my needs. I am happy that you took the time to respond. Basically, as long as it's RAW the DM will probably approve it. Thus, I am attempting to squeeze as much out of it as I can and looking for advice in doing so.