PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Magic item idea: grassblade

Stoneback
2014-03-15, 02:37 PM
Adventure Time and other cartoons spark my imagination sometimes.

There is a magic sword in one made out of a large blade of grass. It wraps around your wrist when you need to put it away and springs to sword shape when you need it. It can also bend a little to use like a plumber's snake or something.

I suppose this is just a sword +1 with a little re-fluffing. And it could be used by Druids. What do you think?

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-15, 02:40 PM
If memory serves, it also can do some minor shapeshifting, such as becoming a buzz saw and snaking around obstacles. And can't it also self-regenerate?

necroon
2014-03-15, 04:07 PM
Technically speaking it's a cursed magical item as well. At least as far as it's "crafter" is concerned. I think the cursed part was worse before Finn just accepted the blade and than it seemed to let up a bit so maybe something like that?

I'd think allow the user to act as if one of their hands was a tentacle with 5' foot reach and restrict any form of fine manipulation. Opening a door would be fine whereas picking a lock would not. Otherwise +1 Enhancement Bonus and perhaps giving the wielder the ability to "sheathe and draw" the weapon as a free action?

Just tossing some thoughts out there.

Stoneback
2014-03-15, 08:52 PM
Sheathe and draw as a free action, and grant a limited form of reach +5'. And yeah, can't get rid of it without a remove curse.

Also make it vulnerable to plant-based attacks.

Buufreak
2014-03-16, 10:59 AM
Blade of Grass: This enchanted foliage has been formed into a hard, usable weapon. The blade is a longsword that incurs a +1 enhancement bonus, as well as has some special qualities. The blade never leaves the users side, and when not in use, retracts around his wrist. This act of equipping and sheathing are each free actions. Further, the rigidity of the weapon can falter at the will of the user, allowing it to act as a free-forming protrusion. With this use, the blade can reach out and grasp objects at a reach of 5', but can not make complicated actions due to its lack of fingers or tangible ways of manipulation. Finally, the weapon, as an actual plant, is able to regenerate damage dealt to it at a rate of 1hp per minute, but is utterly destroyed if attacked with a means that distinctly destroys plants.
Mild aura (transmutation)

Sound good enough?

jedipotter
2014-03-16, 11:13 AM
Or...

Grassblade This weapon is a simple wooden braclet. As a swift action the welder can cause blades of grass to grow out of the braclet and form into a sharp sword. The sword has an enchancment bonus of +1. The sword can not be disarmed or dropped, but the welder can end the effect as a standard action. The grass blade then quickly browns, dies and falls off. Finally, the weapon, as an actual plant, is able to regenerate damage dealt to it at a rate of 1hp per minute, and is effect by spells that effect plants.

Moderate conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, plant growth; Price +1 bonus.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-16, 01:13 PM
Or...

Grassblade This weapon is a simple wooden braclet. As a swift action the welder can cause blades of grass to grow out of the braclet and form into a sharp sword. The sword has an enchancment bonus of +1. The sword can not be disarmed or dropped, but the welder can end the effect as a standard action. The grass blade then quickly browns, dies and falls off. Finally, the weapon, as an actual plant, is able to regenerate damage dealt to it at a rate of 1hp per minute, and is effect by spells that effect plants.

Moderate conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, plant growth; Price +1 bonus.

You should probably also include Magic Weapon in the requirements.

Stoneback
2014-03-16, 03:30 PM
Wow! Awesome write ups! So stealing them. My son will be thrilled when his paladin is "cursed" with one.