PDA

View Full Version : Abyssal Arcane Destroyer 2.0

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-02, 09:36 PM
This is a redux of an old class I made a while back, I've decided recently I want it to have more caster level progression. So PEACH, please.

Abyssal Arcane Destroyer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_22.jpg
Karrik the flesh-ripper does away with a pesky do-gooder

HD: d6

Requirements
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Empower Spell, Maximize spell, Spell focus (evocation)
Arcane Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3 spells of the evocation school that deal hitpoint damage, one of which must be of 3rd level or higher.
Special: Must witness a powerful demon fighting another creature (demon or otherwise) while spending a week in the Abyss.

Class-Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Proffession (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Demonic Might|--
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Resist Destruction +1|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Advanced Learning, DR 1/cold iron|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Resist Destruction +2|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Empowered Evocation|+1 level of spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Resist Destruction +3, DR 2/cold iron|--
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Advanced Learning|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Resist Destruction +4|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|DR 3/cold iron|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Power of the Demons|+1 level of spellcasting class
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Abyssal Arcane Destroyers are proficient with a single martial weapon, but no armors or shields.

Demonic Might (Su): Through the brute force of the Abyss, the 'AAD' may add his strength modifier(if positive) to the damage roll of any evocation spell they cast that deals hitpoint damage. In cases of more than one attack roll (if any) is made during the casting of a spell, each attack roll adds the 'AAD's strength modifier. (ex. scorching ray or magic missile)

Spellcasting: At every abyssal arcane destroyer level except 1st and 6th, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became an abyssal arcane destroyer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of abyssal arcane destroyer for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Resist Destruction (Ex): At 2nd, an abyssal arcane destroyer gains a bonus against that which he controls best. He recieves a +1 profane bonus to saving throws against spells of the evocation school. At 4th level this improves to +2, at 6th level it improves to +3 and at 8th level it improves to +4.

Advanced Learning: At 3rd level and again at 7th, an abyssal arcane destroyer may add a single spell to his spells known(or spellbook). This spell can be of the highest level spell he can cast and must be of the evocation school. These spells can be replaced with another evocation spell of the same or lower level in the normal way sorcerers can. If not a sorcerer they cannot switch them out.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 3rd level, the abyssal arcane destroyer gains a similar resistance to blows that demons have. They gains damage reduction 1/cold iron. This improves to DR 2/cold iron at 6th level and DR 3/cold iron at 9th level.

Empowered Evocation (Su): at 5th level, evocation spells cast by the abyssal arcane destroyer are treated as empowered spells and do not take a higher spellslot. This ability is usable 3 + main casting stat (Int for wizards, Cha for sorcerers) times per day.

Power of the Demons (Su): At 10th level you realise the destructive force of the Abyss and its inhabitants. 3 times per day plus your casting stat (Int for wizards, Cha for sorcerers) you may cause a damage dealing evocation spell you cast are treated as maximized and empowered without taking up higher spell slots. This ability's use limit overlaps that of empowered evocation.

Ex-destroyers: Should an abyssal arcane destroyer ever sway from his chaotic evil alignment, he loses all special abilities, but retains saves, base attack bonuses, spell per day/spells known and proficiencies. Also, if they should ever happen to becomes of Lawful good alignment, they are attacked by 1d4+1 balors. Although this may be averted with an atonement spell cast by a lawful good cleric of at least 15th level.

Catch
2007-02-03, 12:00 AM
Empowered Evocation and Power of the Demons is flat-out over-the-top. If you limit it to X times/day then the class would be fine, but getting a constant maximization effect to your evocations is not a fair trade for the loss of only two spellcasting levels.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-03, 12:12 AM
Empowered Evocation and Power of the Demons is flat-out over-the-top. If you limit it to X times/day then the class would be fine, but getting a constant maximization effect to your evocations is not a fair trade for the loss of only two spellcasting levels.
Do you have a suggestion for how many times per day it should be usable?

Catch
2007-02-03, 12:22 AM
Do you have a suggestion for how many times per day it should be usable?

Three tends to be the standard number. I'd start off with three times per day for the Empower effect, and then at tenth level, it's useable five times per day, along with three uses of Maximize, though that has the potential for abuse. The balancing point for spellcasting prestige classes is bonus ablities versus spellcasting levels. The more spellcasting levels you sacrifice, the better the abilities you get as compensation.

I reccomend doing a bit of playtesting to see how the class works out. Run a few sample encounters and see how the data comes up.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-03, 02:33 AM
Three tends to be the standard number. I'd start off with three times per day for the Empower effect, and then at tenth level, it's useable five times per day, along with three uses of Maximize, though that has the potential for abuse. The balancing point for spellcasting prestige classes is bonus ablities versus spellcasting levels. The more spellcasting levels you sacrifice, the better the abilities you get as compensation.

I reccomend doing a bit of playtesting to see how the class works out. Run a few sample encounters and see how the data comes up.
Ahh, luckily I'll be hanging out with my friends tomarrow. We can run a test adventure with one. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2007-02-03, 03:34 AM
I love it. Maybe they should have a d6 hit dice instead of 1d4, associating with demons....

I agree with Catch, those two are too overpowered, but without em it would be underpowered limit them slightly, and I think it's pretty even.

Also, under spellcasting it says all odd levels +10th, but on the table it says all levels except 1st and 6th. I'm not sure, but just odd levels seems a little underpowered for a casting class, but with the empowering and maximization 8/10 of them may be slightly overpowered. Maybe lower it so you don't get new spells 1st, 5th, and 9th, but you do 2-4, 6-8, and 10?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-03, 01:17 PM
I love it. Maybe they should have a d6 hit dice instead of 1d4, associating with demons....

I agree with Catch, those two are too overpowered, but without em it would be underpowered limit them slightly, and I think it's pretty even.

Also, under spellcasting it says all odd levels +10th, but on the table it says all levels except 1st and 6th. I'm not sure, but just odd levels seems a little underpowered for a casting class, but with the empowering and maximization 8/10 of them may be slightly overpowered. Maybe lower it so you don't get new spells 1st, 5th, and 9th, but you do 2-4, 6-8, and 10?
Woops, I forgot to alter that from the old version.
Edit: And I've reduced empowered evocation and power of the demons to a certain amount of times per day.