PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Field in combat

Ryuuk
2014-03-15, 03:04 PM
I started looking at this power for a PC I'm making. However, I'm not sure if I am interpreting it right. Take the following scenario:

You have a Psion, an ally and an enemy.

The Psion is under an Inertial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/inertialArmor.htm), and within 20ft of his ally. He then manifests Affinity Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm). The enemy then acts, moves to within 20ft of the Psion and attacks. In response, the Psion uses an immediate action Mental Barrier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mentalBarrier.htm). Who is under what?

The Psion is under Inertial Armor and Mental Barrier, this is clear enough.

The ally would be under Mental Barrier, but would Inertial Armor also affect him?

Similarly, would the enemy also be under effect of Mental Barrier and Inertial Armor?

Werephilosopher
2014-03-15, 05:57 PM
So long as both the ally and enemy remain within 20 feet of you, they both benefit from Inertial Armor and Mental Barrier. Because both powers are Range: Personal and thus offer no saving throws against them, neither person can resist the effects. Interestingly, although the Psion would only gain the benefit of Mental Barrier for 1 round, "all magical and psionic effects transferred to subjects fade at the end of this power’s duration," so they gain the benefit until the Affinity Field ends, or until they move outside of the Field's range.

TuggyNE
2014-03-15, 07:27 PM
So long as both the ally and enemy remain within 20 feet of you, they both benefit from Inertial Armor and Mental Barrier. Because both powers are Range: Personal and thus offer no saving throws against them, neither person can resist the effects. Interestingly, although the Psion would only gain the benefit of Mental Barrier for 1 round, "all magical and psionic effects transferred to subjects fade at the end of this power’s duration," so they gain the benefit until the Affinity Field ends, or until they move outside of the Field's range.

I disagree on two counts; first, the inertial armor, manifested before affinity field, is not transferred, because it is not a "new" power. Second, while effects definitely fade at the end of affinity field's duration, that does not prevent them from expiring sooner, any more than it provides an absolute defense against dispel psionics, discharging a power, or any other method of ending effects. It's inclusive, not exclusive.

Werephilosopher
2014-03-15, 08:15 PM
I disagree on two counts; first, the inertial armor, manifested before affinity field, is not transferred, because it is not a "new" power. Second, while effects definitely fade at the end of affinity field's duration, that does not prevent them from expiring sooner, any more than it provides an absolute defense against dispel psionics, discharging a power, or any other method of ending effects. It's inclusive, not exclusive.

Upon reflection, I'd say you're correct. :smallredface: