PDA

View Full Version : Plants a flag!

CyberThread
2014-03-15, 04:08 PM
So I am making a bold statement, I will not post any! new threads, until I make that hairy spider build, and make an archtype up, for others can maybe use.

I will plant my flag here! An keep a running journal of my efforts of building this new story archtype!

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-15, 08:07 PM
The largest problem is getting that Int score. Preferably with either an LA 0/1 template or within WBL of a very low level character. Crack that code and the whole thing will open up.

CyberThread
2014-03-15, 08:30 PM
The largest problem is getting that Int score. Preferably with either an LA 0/1 template or within WBL of a very low level character. Crack that code and the whole thing will open up.

Fiendish” is an inherited template

Fiendish creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype.

Lesser versions of extraplanar creatures, lose benefits of outsider status,and become native to the material plane

Lesser Fiendish or Celestial Hairy spider

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-15, 11:09 PM
Behold! The first steps are taken.

CyberThread
2014-03-15, 11:18 PM
for this build though, we will be using the awaken vermin from master of flies, as that is much more reasonable to acquire from a DM, then a host of stuff to ramp up that INT.

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 01:14 AM
Isn't there some way to abuse having 8 limbs and a bite attack?

Improved unarmed strike + multiweapon fighting + multidexterity + weapon finesse, maybe?

CyberThread
2014-03-16, 01:48 AM
I can do some research on anthromorphic octupus builds

Curmudgeon
2014-03-16, 05:06 AM
Improved unarmed strike + multiweapon fighting + multidexterity + weapon finesse, maybe?
Multidexterity (3.0 feat) has been removed with no replacement in 3.5 D&D.

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 05:09 AM
The general opinion on such matters is that if a feat from 3.0 has not been updated or explicitly removed, it can be used in 3.5.

Andezzar
2014-03-16, 05:11 AM
Isn't there some way to abuse having 8 limbs and a bite attack?

Improved unarmed strike + multiweapon fighting + multidexterity + weapon finesse, maybe?A higher number of limbs does not increase the number of attacks you get with an Unarmed Strike improved or otherwise.

The general opinion on such matters is that if a feat from 3.0 has not been updated or explicitly removed, it can be used in 3.5.It has been implicitly removed here (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD35_update_booklet.zip). Ambidexterity does not exist any more and Multidexterity is the same as Ambidexterity for creatures with more than two arms.

Incidentally the hairy spider would not even qualify, because it has 8 legs but no arms.

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 05:56 AM
I stand corrected.
If you can't abuse eight-armedness, what else can you do? Maybe a Lurk, from complete psionic?

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 03:06 PM
Or maybe a cleric. Go with spider domain. Then explain how you're casting somatic spells with your legs. Then dodge books thrown by the DM.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-16, 03:16 PM
A higher number of limbs does not increase the number of attacks you get with an Unarmed Strike improved or otherwise.

Girallon's Blessing, maybe?

Andezzar
2014-03-16, 03:22 PM
Girallon's Blessing, maybe?Girallon's Blessing gives you additional claw attacks. It does nothing to your Unarmed Strike.

A hairy spider with that spell though would not have any problems with providing somatic components though.

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 03:40 PM
Surrogate spellcasting is better, IMO. It lasts all day, also applies to verbal components, and the 13 WIS requirement will be easy as pie to get.

EDIT: Hairy spider cleric of lolth, with Surrogate Spellcasting and Eschew Materials. If you want cheese, apply skitterhaunt + sentry ooze, and then cast awaken ooze on the small spiderblob. You now have +10 to Wisdom and +10+1d3 to Charisma, as well as 3d6 intelligence.

Snowbluff
2014-03-16, 03:53 PM
I'm actually interested in this. My buddy is running a game for the tenants in my house, and I want to bring a fire breathing spider. I would prefer minimal LA and HD.

Zombulian
2014-03-16, 03:54 PM
Spell Flower for tons of touch attacks in one round?

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 03:55 PM
I'm actually interested in this. My buddy is running a game for the tenants in my house, and I want to bring a fire breathing spider. I would prefer minimal LA and HD.

Dragonfire adept. Not my idea, someone in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337086) thread mentioned it. You can get away with +1 LA if your DM allows the symbiotic template, or even +0 LA if you can talk him/her into allowing a spider to gain intelligence bonuses based on age.

Invader
2014-03-16, 04:33 PM
Did you post this and then like an hour later make 2 new posts anyway lol :smalltongue:

Zetapup
2014-03-16, 04:56 PM
Fuse arms could be handy (bah dum tish) if you can figure out a way to count the limbs as arms or tentacles.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-16, 05:22 PM
Girallon's Blessing gives you additional claw attacks. It does nothing to your Unarmed Strike.

A hairy spider with that spell though would not have any problems with providing somatic components though.

What I meant is that if the spider's limbs count as arms you gain a bunch of claw attacks.

Andezzar
2014-03-17, 01:06 AM
What I meant is that if the spider's limbs count as arms you gain a bunch of claw attacks.You may want to reread the most recent version of the spell in the SpC. No matter how many arms you normally have, you get two additional arms and 4 claw attacks. It is unclear if all 4 are primary if you don't normally have any arms.

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-17, 01:52 AM
Ardent could be a good option. What about Pyrokeneticist? That thar PrC that gives a flaming whip?

Inevitability
2014-03-17, 12:13 PM
I just checked it out, and when I saw the entry requirements...

Requirements
To qualify to become a pyrokineticist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment
Any chaotic.

Skills
Concentration 8 ranks, Craft (alchemy) 1 rank, Knowledge (psionics) 2 ranks.

Psionics
Must have a power point reserve of at least 1 power point.

Special
Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-17, 12:23 PM
Now there just needs to be a PrC with the special requirement: "Must have killed a man just to watch him die"

What would we call it? The Psychopath? :smallbiggrin:

Segev
2014-03-17, 12:33 PM
Regarding getting use out of all 8 limbs...isn't there an "opposable" tag you can apply to melee weapons, letting animals without "hands" wield them? I think it's in Savage Species. Might be in Masters of the Wild.

Snowbluff
2014-03-17, 12:35 PM
Now there just needs to be a PrC with the special requirement: "Must have killed a man just to watch him die"

What would we call it? The Psychopath? :smallbiggrin:

The assassin does that.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-17, 12:38 PM
The assassin does that.

No, per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm) the assassin kills someone so that they can join the assassins.

Killing someone for no other reason than just to watch them die is a whole different thing. Way more psycho.

Inevitability
2014-03-17, 01:37 PM
Assassin is still more psycho.

'Psychopaths' kill someone for no other reason than to watch him die.

Assassins kill someone for no other reason than to become better at killing people.

As you see, assassins are clearly more psychotic. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2014-03-17, 01:45 PM
No, per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm) the assassin kills someone so that they can join the assassins.

Killing someone for no other reason than just to watch them die is a whole different thing. Way more psycho.

It's no different that what the pyrokineticist is doing.

"Burn this to watch burn, but you're really doing it to enter the PrC."

"Kill a guy to enter the PrC, but you're really doing it so these guys can watch you kill him."

MadGreenSon
2014-03-17, 01:52 PM
It's no different that what the pyrokineticist is doing.

"Burn this to watch burn, but you're really doing it to enter the PrC."

"Kill a guy to enter the PrC, but you're really doing it so these guys can watch you kill him."

I guess I shouldn't complain, at least with these PrCs you're getting something out of it. I've had a few games where characters committed arson and murder for no really clear reasons beyond sometimes "I was drunk, it was there".

Snowbluff
2014-03-17, 01:55 PM
I guess I shouldn't complain, at least with these PrCs you're getting something out of it. I've had a few games where characters committed arson and murder for no really clear reasons beyond sometimes "I was drunk, it was there".

A lot of the solutions my fellow adventures come up with usually involve burning everything down. *shrugs*

MadGreenSon
2014-03-17, 01:57 PM
A lot of the solutions my fellow adventures come up with usually involve burning everything down. *shrugs*

Heh. PCs are fun that way. I ran a game where the (surviving) group coined the phrase "friends don't let friends drink and Undermountain" :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2014-03-17, 02:32 PM
You guys can make the vermin Fiendish with the savage progression. 1 ECL.

CyberThread
2014-03-17, 04:07 PM
Yes, but you don't get the 3 int status, anywhere in that verison.

Inevitability
2014-03-18, 09:23 AM
I think Snowbluff meant this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031114a) version, which does have a minimum intelligence.

CyberThread
2014-03-18, 11:53 AM
aww yes, we covered that bit also, that low of an INT, unless we increase it with loads of templates, or ask the DM for extra help, is much harder, then just having a lord of flies awaken us.