PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DMing Marathon Sessions

rusty2667
2014-03-15, 04:12 PM
Our group meets infrequently, but the sessions are pretty lengthy (once a month for 8 hours with breaks). So far this has worked surprisingly well. The players that are susceptible to mentally checking out are engaged throughout the three sessions we’ve now had (I’m making a concerted effort to keep these players engaged and it seems to be working).

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to meet this month. The players now want to make the next session a two day event.

Any advice on how to approach this? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks!

Group/Campaign Fun Facts:

4e homebrew world.
All players are 2nd level.
Alignments vary between Unaligned and Good.

1) Half-Elf Druid. IRL: my niece. 15 years old. Note-taker/bookkeeper of the group. If things get hairy, she’s the first to run.

2) Minotaur Invoker of Tempus. IRL: my nephew. 19 years old. Loves war games, very introverted. Normally very quiet, he can be quite clever if not overcome by shyness.

3) Half-Elf Warlord. IRL: my niece. 26 years old. Loves roleplaying, talented writer. She’s also pregnant, she’ll be 7 months preggers when we play next. (Any special considerations for pregnant players?)

4) Human Monk. IRL: my nephew-in-law. 26 years old. He’s DMed for the group before, very enthusiastic to play.

5) Elf Fighter. IRL: my sister-in-law. She’ll kill me if I list her age. In my past campaigns, she’s the one most likely to check out. Amazingly, she’s very motivated to be playing in this campaign.

6) Human Thief. IRL: my older brother. 43 years old. The most intelligent/experienced player in the group, playing the dumbest character in the group. Also has DMed many times.

There’s an interesting dynamic here because the other players tend to turn to him for answers. His answers are usually wrong (he nearly killed himself and the monk when he decided to take on BBEG by himself in our last session. High rolls saved them though.)

7) The DM. IRL: Me. 40 years old. The crazy uncle/brother.

Campaign Overview:

Tempus has informed the group (via the Invoker) that a doom will endanger the whole region. They will know that this doom is eminent “WHEN THE WHITE PROPHET COMES TO TURMAN'S DOOR. THE PROPHET WILL SPEAK BUT NOT MOVE HIS LIPS.” Meanwhile the players are tasked to prepare for this doom any way they can. Currently, they are taking on side quests.

The “doom” is a Black Dragon (her age will be determined by the group level when they face her) and the “white prophet” is an albino pygmy Lizard Man who’s mute. Unlike the Unaligned Lizard Folk of his tribe, he is Lawful Good. The players know none of these facts, yet.

Knaight
2014-03-16, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, we won’t be able to meet this month. The players now want to make the next session a two day event.

Two long sessions, one one day, the next the next day might work. Something like a 24 hour game? That's a bad idea, and I strongly recommend avoiding it, particularly if the pregnant player is more prone to fatigue than normal (obviously the side effects of pregnancy vary and this may not be an issue).

rusty2667
2014-03-16, 05:55 PM
Two long sessions, one one day, the next the next day might work. Something like a 24 hour game? That's a bad idea, and I strongly recommend avoiding it, particularly if the pregnant player is more prone to fatigue than normal (obviously the side effects of pregnancy vary and this may not be an issue).

We will not be pulling an all-nighter. I'm 40 y.o, unless it's a life/death issue I won't pull an all-nighter for anything/anybody.

Fatigue will probably be an issue with the pregnant player (she'll be at 7 months by then). I may consider shortening each session or taking longer breaks.

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-03-17, 07:08 AM
I used to run a long game due to our group's irregular schedule - and I split it up for meals.

It might be tempting to have food at the game table - but it makes a good break to walk away, cook and eat food, chat, have a beer maybe - then go back to the table.

I found that worked really well - it also let me as the GM take stock of where we were in the session, and work out what needed to happen next.

As GM, I'd also say you need plenty of water. Me, I always lose my voice over a day of talking at length.

HammeredWharf
2014-03-17, 08:16 AM
I've DMed a few three days long games. Let's see...

1) Improvise. The players are likely to wander off the rails during a two hours long session. They'll almost surely wander off the rails during a two days long one.
2) Take breaks. Even for a player, focusing on a D&D game for two days straight can be pretty hard. For a DM (/me as a DM) it's near-impossible.
3) Take breaks in-game, too. Break up dungeons with RP moments and exploration. This is, of course, generally a good thing to do no matter how long your sessions are, but having ten hours of combat is much more taxing if those ten hours are in a row.
4) Flesh out the setting. This is mostly tied to 1), but it's very important to at least have some idea of what's where if your players decide to wander off or something really unexpected happens.

When I DMed those long sessions, I wrote down general campaign outline, some major NPCs and their stats, many smaller plot hooks and several encounter ideas. I winged the rest. It worked quite well.

ElenionAncalima
2014-03-17, 09:18 AM
Definitely agree that you should be ready to do a lot of improv.

I would say the most important thing will be to keep a close eye on how your players are doing. If you feel people losing interest, it's time to take a break.

Also be prepared that you may not have a fully invested table at all times. When playing for 2-3 hours, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect your players to be paying attention and participating. However, in a 2 day game, that will not be realistic. People are going to have other things pop up that they need to temporatily prioritize over the game.

JeenLeen
2014-03-17, 10:07 AM

Do all of your players want to do 2 game sessions over 2 days? I would check to make sure all the players actually want to and (if you don't think it would annoy her) double-check with the pregnant lady. (My current gaming group has 2 pregnant ladies in it, one being my wife, and I can tell it can be tiring.)

Are you up for DMing such a game 2 days in a row? This is both your own morale/fatigue as well as how much material you have prepared. Of course you can wing stuff that comes up by surprise, but it sounds like you have a plot in mind, so it could be difficult in one way or another if the players finish all the material you have prepped or if you don't have enough time between games to prepare the 2nd day's material.

If everyone wants to, then it sounds like a fine plan. I don't think much more would need to be done than you would do for other games. Maybe try to schedule one at something like 10 AM - 6 PM, and the other at 2 PM - 10 PM, to give people more personal time between games, at least if that works for folks' schedules.

John Longarrow
2014-03-17, 01:15 PM
I'd recommend having a set of "Off the rails" encounters to tide you over while you get things back towards where you need to go. As an example of what I mean:

Party needs to go north. They have 3 general ways they can go, to the east in the undead infested area, straight north through the fey infested forest, or to the west through the human dominated areas.

For each I would have 4-12 "Random Encounter" cards that detail level appropriate challenges they can face.

This way, regardless of which way they go I can pull out something quickly when I want them to face it.

NOTE: This includes RP based encounters (such as roudy pixies) as well as straight combat (lycanthropes attack by night) encounters.

imaloony
2014-03-17, 02:03 PM
Our group is lucky if it can meet twice a year, so our session usually last 2-3 days (Stopping for food, for the DM to catch his breath, to sleep, ect)

Basically, don't try to push your limits. Even if it's an exciting/important moment, if you feel yourself hit a wall, call a break, send people to bed and restart in the morning. If people start to get restless and zone out, this could also be a good time to call a break. Have plans in advance for food or else food runs could take unnecessarily long.
Most of all, just keep in mind that after being cooped up together for such a long time, tensions can run high and tempers can run short, so just be very careful about stepping on toes.

Stoneback
2014-03-17, 02:08 PM
The sudden p appearance of baby humans tends to strain any gaming continuity- if your pregnant relative will go for it, take this opportunity to play the heck out of it. You may be losing her soon to her job helping the noob to level up.

rusty2667
2014-03-17, 05:15 PM
First, thanks for the feedback! If you have any anecdotes (good or bad) regarding this topic, then please share.

Moving on...

It might be tempting to have food at the game table - but it makes a good break to walk away, cook and eat food, chat, have a beer maybe - then go back to the table.

Agreed. I learned a long time ago to avoid the sugar crash. I also learned last session that even having two drinks can lead to mental exhaustion (I'll miss you most of all, rum&coke.:smallfrown: )

I'll push for definitive meal breaks, but will probably be politely ignored by my players. Eh, to each their own.

Maybe try to schedule one at something like 10 AM - 6 PM, and the other at 2 PM - 10 PM, to give people more personal time between games, at least if that works for folks' schedules.

We meet at brother's house for each session. This involves a two hour road trip for over half the group (including me). So everyone ends up spending the night.

We should declare a time on the first night for stoppage to avoid burn out.

For each I would have 4-12 "Random Encounter" cards that detail level appropriate challenges they can face.

Great idea! Thanks!

4) Flesh out the setting. This is mostly tied to 1), but it's very important to at least have some idea of what's where if your players decide to wander off or something really unexpected happens.

This reminds of what an old acting teacher I had used to say "do your homework and when performance time comes you ignore it. Just deal with what's in front you." I'm paraphrasing, probably poorly.

... take this opportunity to play the heck out of it.

I'd like to end the first night with a cliff-hanger, but the second night should have a sense of resolution of some of the major story. Like revealing the identity of the White Prophet and the Doom (I'm referring to the spoiler in my O.P.)

Is this an example of what your talking about?

ETA

roudy pixies

This gives me an idea of beer-swilling, teamster pixies...

veti
2014-03-17, 05:49 PM
At university we used to have 'games weekends', and sometimes one DM would run for 24 hours or more (with breaks). It's gruelling work even for the players, and we were pretty damn' keen in those days. The longest session I've ever run is about 10 hours, again with breaks.

People's attention will wander. I suggest having diversions at hand that people can take time out to play with, without getting too distracting/taking their mind off the game. Balloons are always nice. Any new sourcebooks, supplements or whatever you want to share with the players - just leave them lying about. And, of course, you'll need a small selection of local takeaway menus - at least 2 or 3, to give people some choice.