PDA

View Full Version : The Epic Goose Chase IC [High OP group]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-15, 05:22 PM
The Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1LxRPYGTFckK997LBixdbMy6M4ctTbZRJquT8owSXO-8/edit)
You may talk to the local authorities and witnesses who are still present. State all methods of searching you use and I will reveal things on the map.

The information I gave pre-game is as follows:
- An small being in magic full plate ran before the explosion happened.
- The building has religious significance to all of the gods
- None of the level 10-15 police force has found tracks or a sign of what caused the explosion

greenpotato
2014-03-15, 08:57 PM
Sandrose gets to work, gingerly picking through the remains of the building.
Questioning the witnesses was something she could leave to the others, her expertise would be better used examining the wreckage.

Knowledge Engineering [roll0] to try and determine where the explosive was that damaged the cathedral based on the debris.(synergy bonus from craft architecture?) Search [roll1] to look for any remnants of the explosive device, also keeping an eye out for anything that seems out of place in the wreckage.

supernerd
2014-03-15, 09:55 PM
Clen flies about, following the people with good searching skills. He hums along the way, keeping it up even as they are finished, allowing those on his side to see beyond the veil.

Revealing Melody: Non-concentration Virtuoso Perfoemance. Team True Seeing for as long as I perform.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-15, 11:17 PM
Map updated 2 new clues discovered.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-03-15, 11:48 PM
Jarn simply stands still a moment, allowing his senses to wander, his instincts to speak to him. He lifts his head, sniffing at the air, then takes a moment to focus his vision and simply looks around himself. This many people on the scene will muddy scents, confuse tracks, he murmurs to himself. Can't be helped, I suppose.
Are there any unusual scents in the area? Or anything worth noting in the Ethereal Plane?
More specifically I'm looking into the Ethereal Plane with my continuous True Seeing effect and using my scent ability to help inform my other senses.
[roll0] to see if I've heard of anything similar to this having happened in the past and a quick [roll1] to see if the explosion was magical in nature. And why not a [roll2] check to see if maybe I can identify what caused the explosion of it wasn't magical. (Maybe it smells like a certain mix of plant matter that might be explosive? Who knows.) And finally a simple [roll3] in relation to my looking into the Ethereal Plane.

alanek2002
2014-03-16, 12:29 AM
Sharsolis looks at the blood, as an idea dawns on him.

He asks the local guardsmen if the blood was from an injured local, to their knowledge.

If the don't know, or confirm that it is not, the below happens.

"This may be a waste if they came prepared, but It's worth a shot." He says. He then begins muttering under his breath, repeating "Discern location (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/discern-location--2497/) Discern location Discern location -This will take a while - Discern location Discern location Discern location..."

Most likely won't work, but if it does it will give us what town he fled to. It'll take an 8th level spell though...

And if it is a victim, Jarn should be able to find where they dragged themselves.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-03-16, 12:42 AM
After having ruminated for a bit Jarn carefully makes his way to the minuscule man near the pool of blood. With a casual stretch and a sinuous motion he dips a claw into the blood, without stooping or bending in the slightest, and bringing a drop to his face, takes a deep inhalation through his nose, fixing the scent in his memory. Finally he dips the claw in his mouth, taking a small taste.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Any/All to identify the type of creature who "donated" the blood based on scent and flavor.

Silver Night
2014-03-16, 01:51 AM
Sardonyx eyes the scene, "I have Discern Location available. I will first try to understand what happened here."

Survival: [roll0] to reconstruct the scene and gain any information about those present that is available.

Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2] for information about who might have motive, and anything present that might narrow that down.

Search [roll3] for other clues

Diplomacy [roll4] and Gather information [roll5] for interviewing witnesses.

Pending the outcome of all that, Sardonyx will dig into his divination grab bag

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-16, 01:53 AM
Sharsolis looks at the blood, as an idea dawns on him.

He asks the local guardsmen if the blood was from an injured local, to their knowledge.

If the don't know, or confirm that it is not, the below happens.

"This may be a waste if they came prepared, but It's worth a shot." He says. He then begins muttering under his breath, repeating "Discern location (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/discern-location--2497/) Discern location Discern location -This will take a while - Discern location Discern location Discern location..."
The guards have seen nobody injured leave the ruin, and point out that the explosion would not leave wet blood when all of the other victims have been incinerated.
Most likely won't work, but if it does it will give us what town he fled to. It'll take an 8th level spell though...

And if it is a victim, Jarn should be able to find where they dragged themselves.

After having ruminated for a bit Jarn carefully makes his way to the minuscule man near the pool of blood. With a casual stretch and a sinuous motion he dips a claw into the blood, without stooping or bending in the slightest, and bringing a drop to his face, takes a deep inhalation through his nose, fixing the scent in his memory. Finally he dips the claw in his mouth, taking a small taste.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Any/All to identify the type of creature who "donated" the blood based on scent and flavor.

Your knowledge religion tells you that a giant is one of the head clergy members of this cathedral.

2 more bits of information have been added to the map.

Sardonyx eyes the scene, "I have Discern Location available. I will first try to understand what happened here."

Survival: [roll0] to reconstruct the scene and gain any information about those present that is available.

Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2] for information about who might have motive, and anything present that might narrow that down.

Search [roll3] for other clues

Diplomacy [roll4] and Gather information [roll5] for interviewing witnesses.

Pending the outcome of all that, Sardonyx will dig into his divination grab bag

The time of the event is an hour before a service was being held. People with a motive would include atheists and jealous people from other nations. Witnesses describe the same person you have heard of and the explosion sounding very loud, but ordinary. and info was added to the map.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-03-16, 02:18 AM
Well, I'm fairly certain the blood came from a giant of some kind, at any rate, the massive troll rumbles to the general assembly of detectives and onlookers. So far as I can tell the explosion was of a magical nature, if that helps anyone. Also, someone was using illusion magic in this area recently, so for all we know the fleeing suspect could have been completely different from the description, or even fictional. he continues. Moving away from the blood pool and in the general direction of the local authorities and witnesses he raises his voice to address the group as one. I also seem to recall that one of the primary Clergy here was of giant decent, yes? Has anyone seen this individual since the explosion? Has anyone been dispatched to ascertain the location and see to the protection of the ranking Clergy? Assuming they weren't incinerated, of course. They may have been the target, after all.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-16, 03:21 AM
This building was originally designed for size huge or smaller creatures and the giant (Archbishop Clarance the Twice Crowned a cloud giant who is known for wisely spending excess donations on those who needed them most) or anything large enough to conceal him was not seen leaving.

Battlechaser
2014-03-16, 03:34 AM
Amateurs. Lao muttered under his breath. The uncarnate enhanced his senses, before he methodically started to scan the room. For minutes in a row Lao would just stand there, staring into nothing. Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.

enlarged touchsight (60ft)
Enlarged psychometry: taking the full 10 minutes per 20 ft area
Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Search [roll2]
Survival [roll3]
Psicraft [roll4] to identify the spell being used
Spellcraft [roll5] to identify the spell being used
Knowledge roll to connect the clues already found and the one he finds to what Lao knows.
Knowledge arcana [roll6]
Knowledge dungeoneering [roll7]
Knowledge psionics [roll8]
Knowledge nature [roll9]
Knowledge planes [roll10]
Knowledge religion [roll11]
Knowledge architecture [roll12]
Knowledge history[roll13]
Knowledge local [roll14]
If he has the time, Lao will do a hypercognition with a 110% chance of succes. Duration in hours [roll15]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-16, 04:58 AM
More info added to map. Other then the Archbishop their was nobody of equal or higher religious power reported being there and none of the lower ranking clergy could have feasibly survived a blast that took out the building. The guards have already informed the Omniprelate (the one with more authority then the Archbishops)

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-03-16, 05:27 AM
Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.

I believe I can be of assistance, Jarn mutters as he moves to shift the rubble and clear the indicated area.
If it matters my push/drag is 896,000lbs.

supernerd
2014-03-16, 06:18 AM
Once those trained far better in discovery than he have gone around to the others, asking for any witnesses and what they saw, heard, or felt. He makes sure to keep up his humming, knowing an illusionist could appear anywhere.

That reminds me! I do have relevant skills!
Retain Revealing Melody
Diplomacy [roll0] and Gather Information [roll1] for re-interviewing the witnesses, apologizing for the inconvenience but explaining the necessity of thoroughness. Then asks them what they saw heard and felt around the crime, rather than just, "what happened." I'm looking for evidence to derive effects.

smasher0404
2014-03-16, 06:24 AM
Fartales Windspeed silently flies up into the air, and starts scanning the area for any lingering presence of evil.

Fly up 60 Feet (Takes a full round)
Detect Evil straight down

Silver Night
2014-03-16, 12:51 PM
Sardonyx attempts a divination spell to locate any trace of the attacker.

He is starting with the actual spell Divination. If he can locate a sliver of claw or something they dropped or a discarded bit of spell component or something, he can work from there.

Also, he has the scent special ability, so any interesting or unusual smells that are present he would also be looking for (Probably as part of that survival check, along with all the other trackery things.)

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-16, 04:39 PM
A few things were added a while ago and I forgot to mention it, plus their is a faint smell of goblins at points 1&2.

Mousedigits
2014-03-16, 11:37 PM
Could someone remove this? Loa pointed at the rubble in front of the treasure room.

I got ya.

[roll0]
If this doesn't help, I smash it with my hammer to loosen it, dealing:
[roll1] damage.
Also, if it matters:
Light load:954368
Medium load:1908736
Max Load/above head:2867200
Off ground:5734400
Push/drag:14336000
EDIT: Damn, that STR roll sucked.

Mousedigits
2014-03-16, 11:42 PM
Whoops, forgot full attack. Lemme roll more damage to the rocks :D

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
All but the last one (gore) are bludgeoning, if it matters.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-17, 12:51 AM
Divination: "Drinks and congratulatory money are in his hands he fights to keep it from the ones who have planed."

razorback
2014-03-17, 08:39 AM
Earon was lounging at his apartment, drinking his kaf and reading through some papers regarding an archeological site found near Cithus that held some tantalizing information regarding elven communities that looked to be at least 10,000 years old when he heard the knock at his door. When opened, Tengana Alliastron, a local constabul, burst in and told him of the news of the attack and asked him to come. Changing quickly into his travelling clothes and grabbing his equipment, he jumped on Tengana's carpet as he was told what little details were known on their short trip there.
Arriving to the confusion and not seeing anyone in charge, he made a slight face at Tengana as he went looking about the scene to see if he could garner any new clues.
After listening to the witnesses being reinterviewed by the pixie, interjecting a few questions of his own and asking each several of the same questions coached a certain way so as to gain any last bit of information that may be hidden, he looks at the bloody stain, breathing in deeply of the scent. Looking at the mark left on the wall from the claws, he pulls out a magnifying glass to see if there are any fragments left from the claw that may be imbedded in the wall.

Aiding in diplomacy and gather info with Clen, along with some sense motive
Diplo
[roll0]
Gather Info
[roll1]
Sense Motive
[roll2]

Search to find any remnants of the claw that slashed into the wall. Using 1 Inspiration Point to use Cunning Knowledge.
[roll3]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-17, 11:18 AM
It's a long shot, but the reason there could be no remains of a claw left could mean that it was a spell or type of energy in a claw shape or the area was dusted after the giant was killed, to avoid people finding out about it.

Battlechaser
2014-03-17, 12:10 PM
Thank you. Lao neared the door and started to study it.

continuing psychometry, true seeing, touchsight
Spot [roll0]
Search [roll1]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-17, 12:28 PM
In the wreckage when it is removed you see a small hill of coins and a few artifacts from all of the deities the cathedral is dedicated to.

Silver Night
2014-03-17, 11:11 PM
Sardonyx attempts Discern Location targeted on the goblin whose scent he has detected.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-18, 12:13 AM
You can now find his geographic location on a map, but his specific location is not relieved.

razorback
2014-03-18, 09:17 PM
Going up to some of the officers, he asks.
"So, the small individual, he ran away before or after the explosion? Also, I don't see any bodies about. Were the removed or were they missing? It would seem an explosion of this magnitude would have killed any bystanders, but I don't see remains."
Looking at everyone he says loudly "Everyone, Everyone helping out with the investigation, gather round." Once a majority have gathered, he continues "It seems we are thin on clues or evidence. There is some blood over there. Do we have any diviners with us? Or, anyone else who has such talents? Perhaps we can discern where the body or bodies went. Anyone have any other insights they wish to include with the group? Time is growing long and the trail is growing colder by the moment people."

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-18, 09:44 PM
"I'm afraid everyone inside was incinerated whole their are some bodies out back who were likely receiving donations and were crushed by rocks, but nobody else was near enough to be crushed."

Silver Night
2014-03-19, 01:04 AM
'Do we know they were incinerated, or is that just a guess? We may have suspects or still living victims if we don't know for sure. I have performed some investigation, and I have picked up the scent of goblins inside. I have localized the goblin in question to a geographic area with divination.'

Sardonyx described everything he has discovered so far,'So, I can perform further divinations, given suitable targets. Time is, as you mentioned, of the essence. Our quarry widens their lead, but we must make sure it is the correct trail we follow, as much as we can be sure.'

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-19, 02:14 AM
"Yes that was a guess I supose cause I cannot prove they were incinerated, but if iyo can locate a suspect some of you can find him while the others investigate." (the low and high op parties may split as soon as I have time to make a new thread)

supernerd
2014-03-19, 09:57 AM
Clen calls out to those who have gathered, "Before we follow separate paths, I would like to leave us with a few parting words! There are times when the world needs courage, and let us be the ones to bring it. I wish only for the upholding of peace, but we shall fight today for the years of peace. May we follow grand paths."

The pixie channels some of his divine energy into his pep talk, bringing out the vigor and determination or himself and his allies.

Hero's Leadership everyone within thirty feet (High OP group and Low OP if Dr. Orpheus let's them): 180min: Three Hours: +18 Morale to hit [roll]18d8[roll] Temp HP.

supernerd
2014-03-19, 09:59 AM
[roll0] This should work...

Silver Night
2014-03-19, 12:52 PM
'Aye, some of us can go where I've located the possible suspect. Does anyone have a map so I can show you where I've tracked them?'

Mousedigits
2014-03-19, 01:42 PM
I can go buy one real quick.
*Buys map*
All right, here you go.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-19, 04:01 PM
Remember there is no monitary system in this nation. However you can requisition a map for free.

Silver Night
2014-03-20, 12:35 AM
'It looks as though our quarry, or at least witnesses, may be located in a town, called Six Stumps. I would like to follow them there immediately, and see what we might learn. Do any of you know of this place?'

Sardonyx sees what he can recall.

Lore (works like Bardic Knowledge): [roll0]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-20, 12:59 AM
You recall a legend of the six stumps for which the town is names which describes these stumps in enough detail that someone could teleport with only a small miss chance.

greenpotato
2014-03-20, 02:50 AM
"Six stumps? Hmmm, I can use greater teleport to travel there, who is coming with me? We better leave with haste before the trail cools" Sandrose says.

supernerd
2014-03-20, 03:03 AM
Clen Pondered the legend for a moment, "I think I may know where that is; I can greater teleport too. I'll be coming along regardless, but the least I can do is offer a few more points of description." He then extends his hands for others to take.

Knowledge History/Geography on the stumps for a greater teleport.
History: [roll0]
Geography: [roll1]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-20, 09:17 AM
It looks like the high OP thread will follow this goblin. Smasher0404, Ishcumbeebeeda, Battlechaser, and Battlechaser unless all four refuse are assumed to join you in the teleport. In the Low OP thread you stay at the crime scein until you find another trail or lead to follow.

alanek2002
2014-03-20, 10:10 AM
"I'll meet you there." Sharsolis says. "I would join you on your teleport, but I would interfere with it should I stand too close."
Knowledge: Geography[roll0]

Casting plane shift, then greater plane shift to return near that town when we all leave. Cleric don't get teleport, who knew?

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-20, 10:39 AM
Reminder this is a far off land and LE goblinoids are the most excepted race here you end up inside a hex of stumps facing a small number of wooden shacks in the distance.

smasher0404
2014-03-20, 11:37 AM
Swift Action change of aura to Motivate Intelligence
Knowledge Local to find out any more information about the area [roll0]

Battlechaser
2014-03-20, 12:19 PM
Six stumps? What are they the remnants of? Lao pondered as he studied his environment.

continuous true seeing, mind blank, incorporeal
Active: touchsight (enlarged) 60 ft
What is the bonus I would get from motivate intelligence?
Knowledge arcana [roll0]
Knowledge religion [roll1]
Knowledge geography [roll2]
Knowledge planes [roll3]
Knowledge religion [roll4]
Knowledge nature [roll5]
Knowledge psionics [roll6]
Knowledge architecture [roll7]
Knowledge dungeoneering [roll8]
Listen [roll9]
Spot [roll10]
Search [roll11]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-20, 01:11 PM
The stumps appear to be of alder trees they are rumored to have spawned an evil spirit which has been killed by an elven hero that was given no reward from the goblins that live there.

smasher0404
2014-03-20, 01:34 PM
any of my minor auras give a +13 bonus

Silver Night
2014-03-21, 11:35 AM
Sardonyx casts Conviction, Mass on those present

+5 morale to saves for 220 minutes

He uses a Pearl of Power to regain the spell

alanek2002
2014-03-21, 01:12 PM
Sharsolis is standing a few feet away, sighing as he see's the blessings being cast.

"One of the few downsides of a selective antimagic field..."

"Sardonyx, can you find the scent?" He asks, looking around warily.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-21, 04:12 PM
You can see that some goblins heads turn in the distance with the flash of some of the spells, but then go back to their own business.

Silver Night
2014-03-21, 05:13 PM
Sardonyx grunts and trues to find any traces of their suspects. 'If I can't find traces, I expect those goblins there will be a suitable starting place.

Survival [roll0] I guess it would be? To use tracking including the scent ability.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-22, 02:48 AM
The goblins scent leads into the town and cause you can track so well you can track him to a particular part of town, but the goblins watch you suspiciously.

Silver Night
2014-03-31, 10:48 AM
Sardonyx

"Perhaps some questioning of the locals will help us find out quarry. I can only narrow the location to which part of town he or she might be in. Does anyone speak goblin?"

Knowledge (Local) for info on these goblins: [roll0]
Spot [roll1] for anything suspicious or interesting in the part of town where our quarry fled.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-31, 01:36 PM
There are a few signs of these goblins being violent almost every alleyway and under every raised porch has a skeleton of varying race. They are not animated, and look to be just kicked out of the way for carts to move through the road. To someone who does speak goblin you need to give some detail about the person other then scent because the goblins don't have a developed enough nose to know who you are trying to find based on smell.

smasher0404
2014-03-31, 09:00 PM
Fartales Windspeed silently turns invisible, gently floating back up into the air.

Fartales uses his invisibility spell-like ability first, and then flies up 60 ft to catch as many goblins in possible into his detect evil area. In addition he keeps an active lookout for any suspicious activities

Move Silently Roll [roll0]
Spot Roll [roll1]
Search Check for Foot Prints (With motivate intelligence bonus) [roll2]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-03-31, 09:17 PM
The goblins are clearly the traditional lawful evil that they often are, but the footprints are too many to find a particular set, it may have been a hours or days sense the goblin you are looking for has walked this road.

Silver Night
2014-04-01, 12:37 AM
Sardonyx

"The divination I did mentioned drinks - perhaps he is in a tavern or the like." He raises his voice, and tries common and then infernal and draconic (in case perhaps there are any priests or arcane types who might speak one of them about), "We are pursuing a fugitive who may have recently teleported in near where we landed. Any information would be both appreciated and rewarded."

Diplomacy (if anyone even understands him): [roll0]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-01, 09:49 AM
Goblins point you in many different directions when questioned further they readily admit that they are pointing to a criminal, but there are many different ones in town and none of them happened to see one teleport.

smasher0404
2014-04-01, 08:44 PM
Fartales Windspeed flies back down to the ground and lightly attacks the ground

In a sudden puff of smoke, Fartales Windspeed appears in front of his comrades once more and speaks in a warm jovial voice (after casting Tongues on himself).

"Good Morrow good Goblinfolk. As my comrade has stated we are hunting for a fugitive. If we may ask for your kind cooperation in apprehending this fiend, may I cast a spell on one of your number in case said fugitive returns to these parts? I give my word that it will do no harm to anyone, it will only allow us to keep an eye on the area through you. He appears to be of the same size as you and was last seen fleeing the scene in a set of full plate armor"

Swift Action aura switch to Motivate Charisma

Diplomacy to convince them of this proposal [roll0]
Spell Expended:Tongues

Battlechaser
2014-04-02, 07:49 AM
Lao let his companions do the talking. He just studied the filthy goblins and their environment.

listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Sense motive [roll2]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-08, 07:32 PM
Most goblins tell you that the only people that could afford to have plate mail would not wear it because they are crime bosses who would rather be stealthy some seem like they could know more about the criminal activities of this town, but will not without a reason.

Silver Night
2014-04-11, 10:48 PM
Sardonyx

"Perhaps offer them gold for information. If most here can't afford plate, then it likely wouldn't even require much gold - those that seem to know more. I can use a Zone of Truth, if it seems as though it will be helpful."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-04-11, 11:07 PM
Crouching near Sardonyx so as to have as private a word as one of his mass can, Jarn mutters Save your resources, Hunter. All within 75' of my person are subject to the enchantment of which you speak. Then, rising, he steps to the center of the crowd, careful not to crush any goblins under foot, so as to subject as many as possible to his continuous Zone of Truth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfTruth.htm) effect.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-11, 11:38 PM
A goblin detects and tries to dispel this Zone of Truth effect with a caster level check of [roll0]

smasher0404
2014-04-11, 11:58 PM
Fartales Windspeed, startled by the sudden flow of spellcasting, mutters "I guess the diplomatic solution isn't going to work anymore" and turns invisible

Initiative(If Necessary) [roll0]
Spellcraft to identify the spell that dispelled the zone of truth: [roll1]
Move Action:Close distance to 15 feet with the goblin that cast the spell if possible to do so at half-flight speed (30ft)
Move Silently Check(If Necessary): [roll2]
Readying Standard Action to cast Withering Palm on caster if the caster attempts to cast a spell that I identify to cause damage to an ally

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-12, 10:52 AM
You identify the greater dispell magic spell, but must make a listen check to find where the caster is.

smasher0404
2014-04-12, 01:07 PM
But first a question: Doesn't Greater Dispel Magic limit the bonus to the Caster Level check to +20?

Actual Listen Check [roll0]

alanek2002
2014-04-12, 01:38 PM
Sharsolis fixes his eyes in the direction the Dispel magic came from and smiles, but does nothing. after all, Forcing mind magic on others Irks him somewhat, even the zone of truth.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-12, 05:19 PM
Yes ordinarily it would max at +20 and the listen check fails although other people can try as well DC is 39 by the way (would be 54 RAW, but that would suggest that sound only vibrates atoms in a strait line).

Silver Night
2014-04-12, 09:57 PM
Sardonyx looks around, and tries to make himself less noticable

Cast Detect Magic and eyeball the goblins for anything interesting
Concentration (if needed) [roll0]

Listen [roll1]

Move to the side 35' (half speed) and use Hide [roll2] (with Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight - though certainly using handy things in the environment to hide behind too if they are available) and Move Silently [roll3]

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-04-12, 11:16 PM
My sincere apologies if I've offended anyone, Jarn says, casually glancing around, sifting through the crowd with his Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) for the caster. I meant no offense. My Patron may have been overly... zealous when he designed his servant in this matter. No harm done though he continues, now addressing the crowd as a whole. It was a rather simple charm and it does not compel one to speak, after all. It merely assures that those words which one does choose to speak are truthful. Settling into a relaxed stance not unlike a military parade rest Jarn shrugs and continues in an easy manner. I can see that perhaps I was a little... aggressive with my attempt to help my comrades discern the truth of this matter, but one hardly needed to Dispel such a harmless effect. If you'd asked I'd have been perfectly willing to turn it off myself.

[roll0] to (hopefully) help locate the caster and a (probably pathetic) [roll1] to reinforce my kind words.:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-13, 11:17 AM
While nobody finds the dispeller you notice guards ushering goblins out of the area.

Silver Night
2014-04-17, 01:03 PM
Sardonyx

"Perhaps we should try and discover more about these bosses - at the very least, they would likely be the best informed people, locally."

Edit:

Sardonyx tries again in the languages that got some response before, "Is there somewhere we could talk to one of your leaders?"

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-24, 10:04 AM
The chiefs house is in the middle of town from what you here.

Silver Night
2014-04-24, 11:23 AM
Sardonyx

Shall we go and see if they have any more useful information?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-04-24, 10:57 PM
Given our relative statures I don't believe I'll be able to enter any of these dwellings, but should their leader agree to talk to us out in the open I'd be happy to translate for you. Assuming that this leader doesn't share a language with you, that is.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-25, 12:16 AM
The goblin chiefs hut accommodates ogres that may extort the goblins or use them for spy's being small and everything, but that's not big enough for some of you so the goblin chief speaks from the second floor balcony looking up at Jarn. "We don't have anything valuable enough for you to want."

Silver Night
2014-04-25, 02:06 AM
Sardonyx

We don't seek what you have. We hunt a fugitive who may have come through this way. Cooperation may be rewarded; assisting or hiding the criminal will be punished.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-25, 05:30 PM
"Well their are many criminals here, but I don't associate with the common folk in this town."

Silver Night
2014-04-25, 10:07 PM
Sardonyx

"Surely you have knowledge of what happens in your territory? This is no petty thief we pursue. He or she might have some connection to the more powerful, if less law abiding, among your citizenry. Perhaps as a gesture of good faith you could tell us who to speak with, or think of something that would be useful for us. The scent of goblins was at the scene, and our divinations lead us here. It would be most unfortunate if the gods believed that it was one of your number who attacked their temple."

Diplo: [roll0]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-26, 01:45 AM
"To find criminals you should talk to criminals, to show you good will I'll have have my guards lend you their local knowledge, they would be aware of a criminal organization."

Silver Night
2014-04-27, 01:26 AM
Sardonyx

That is very kind of you.

Sardonyx will try to question whatever guards are available regarding local criminal fixtures, or leave it to those with the ability to speak the proper languages if need be.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-27, 02:41 AM
Whoever asks the goblins tell you that the most theft happens near the west side of town and the most violent crime happens on the east side. If you manage not to stand out you may observe a crime after a while and follow the criminal back to their home where you can interrogate him to find out about the location of a crime boss.

Silver Night
2014-04-27, 12:39 PM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx asks the others, "Should we try the west or east?"

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-04-28, 12:18 AM
Well, unobtrusiveness isn't precisely my specialty, Jarn begins, but I suppose we should cover both sides. I tend to prefer violent crime, myself, he continues, a grin from out of a stygian nightmare crawling across his face. I'll take east. Hopefully this he goes on, becoming invisible*, is good enough. Oh and I can try to help with the west as well he says as a raven appears in the air where his shoulder would have been. The seemingly normal raven flies down to Sardonyx, hovering over its shoulder as if seeking permission to perch.

After he's finished speaking Jarn Greater Teleports himself up into the air and then again over to a location on the east side of town that seems out of the way, but a good place from which to observe. (Teleporting because though he's invisible he's not inaudible and it seems quieter than stomping around town.)

*Benefit: The evolutionist can become invisible as the spell as a standard action, this effect lasts until any effects that would terminate invisibility occur or until it is dismissed, whichever comes first. This ability has a caster level equal to his mutator level.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once per six mutator levels. The second time it is taken, its effect improves so that creatures capable of seeing the invisible only see the evolutionist’s blurred, indistinct form, granting him concealment against them (True Seeing still reveals him as normal). The third time it is taken, the evolutionist’s invisibility does not end when he attacks.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-28, 01:31 PM
Make some checks to look for crime.

Silver Night
2014-04-28, 09:03 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Spot: [roll2]
Gather Information: [roll3] (I think those would probably be the appropriate rolls for what's basically a stake-out)

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-04-28, 10:58 PM
The bird's checks wouldn't be worth much, he's mostly so I can teleport to other group if things get violent. I'll give a [roll0], [roll1] and [roll2]. Any others that would be applicable?

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-29, 06:38 PM
On the west side a goblin is spotted shoveling a large amount of dried meat and chocolate into a bag of holding.

Silver Night
2014-04-29, 10:06 PM
Sardonyx will follow the goblin.

Lemme know if there is a survival or another hide check or something needed.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-04-30, 04:28 PM
You follow him unnoticed back to a small house.

Silver Night
2014-05-02, 03:35 AM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx watches the house for a bit longer, and if nothing else interesting happens, he approaches and knocks on the door.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-02, 09:29 AM
Nothing interesting happens and when you knock on the door the goblin does not answer.

Silver Night
2014-05-04, 01:36 AM
Sardonyx tries the door.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-04, 03:47 AM
There is a dead bolt in the door because there are not very complex locks around here.

Silver Night
2014-05-04, 12:46 PM
Sardonyx leaves, gets out of sight of the house, flies back (staying as hidden as possible among the roofs of the surrounding buildings) and lands quietly on the roof of the house. If there is no immediately apparent means of ingress there, he will use Ethereal Jaunt, and just go through the roof.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-04, 11:11 PM
Their is a chimney, but Ethereal Jaunt would work better. You can easily hear the goblins faint eating noises from inside the house.

Silver Night
2014-05-05, 01:38 AM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx uses Ethereal Jaunt to enter the house through the roof.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-05, 03:11 PM
The goblin is eating while packaging meat and chocolate in small bags along with smaller bags.

Silver Night
2014-05-06, 02:25 AM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx materializes in the room, "Hello."

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-06, 09:25 AM
The thief freaks out reflexively scrambling backward, but knocking many things over as well. It remains behind a pile of furs which were probably also stolen hyperventilating.

Silver Night
2014-05-06, 08:28 PM
Sardonyx

"Can you understand me?" Sardonyx smiles* "I am hunting a criminal, one who wears full plate, and recently came through town. If you don't know of them, I would speak to your superior."

Intimidate: [roll0]

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-07, 09:48 AM
The goblin is intimidated and blabbers in goblinfor a moment. On the other side of town there is a murdering of a merchant spotted.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-05-07, 03:10 PM
Jarn immediately teleports to just behind the murderer. Hello there little friend, Jarn says in goblin, a prodigious grin splitting his face as he suddenly becomes visible. Once you've completed your... transaction here, he continues, I've a few questions I'd like to ask you. The most important of which is whether you might have information about a recent bombing and a small, be-plated individual seen fleeing from the aforementioned bombing. Leaning slightly back, placing the bulk of his weight on abnormally long arms, Jarn relaxes, somewhat, into a grotesque version of a military parade rest. Though I would hate to be rude, so do please take your time with your current business.

Might as well throw out an [roll0], and I'll also reactivate my Zone of Truth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfTruth.htm), DC 25.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-07, 06:23 PM
"I don't know what happens outside of town I rarely go past the stumps. I can get all I need through violence inside the town." the goblin is quite flippant as he speaks. He is obviously scared, but probably has been in life threatening situations many times in his life.

Silver Night
2014-05-08, 02:29 AM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx growls in some small frustration, and then gives up on talking to the goblin for the moment, and shoots him with a throat dart.

Attack: [roll0] (for nonlethal damage)
Damage: [roll1]
Poison DC 28 Paralysis 1d4 rounds: [roll2]

Assuming it works, he will carry the goblin outside and look for the bird, and then tell it to lead him back to its master.

Edit ((Forgot, can't do non-lethal with a ranged weapon. Going to need a rethink :P))

Silver Night
2014-05-09, 08:56 PM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx casts Hold Person on the goblin. If it works, he trusses the goblin up and takes him with him to find one of his compatriots that speaks Goblin. He will look for the bird to lead him back to its master.

Take 10 on Use Rope if needed: 22

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-09, 10:34 PM
He sercums to your spell and are led back to Jarn.

Silver Night
2014-05-12, 08:52 PM
Sardonyx looks in on Jarn's situation, "I've got one. If you get one, that's one more than we really need. We can let the first one to talk live."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-05-14, 11:34 AM
Nodding to Sardonyx and companion Jarn turns his attention back to his thusfar uncommunicative goblin. My associate here has just pointed out a rather interesting fact. We really only need one informant. So, he continues, reaching out and, grabbing* a goblin by the head in each hand, lifting them into the air, we'll play my favorite game. It's called "whoever gives us relevant information first doesn't get his head crushed." I know, the title is a bit ungainly on the tongue, but then what isn't in goblin, eh? So, who lives? With the last Jarn begins to slowly apply pressure to each goblin's head.

His AoO would be against AC 83, then my [roll0] and finally my [roll1]. Grappling via PbP can be a bit irksome, but I like the idea of picking them up by their heads and just crushing them. :smallbiggrin: And I wasn't sure if that's something you'd want actual rolls for, so here we are, just in case.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-16, 01:36 PM
They both begin talking as soon as you finish, but one begins slightly before the other.
Goblin 1 "I give part of my profits to someone at the Dragons Kneecap Inn"
Goblin 2 "He's a middle man for a crime lord"

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-05-19, 10:51 PM
Well, now I'm in a bit of a conundrum, Jarn says, slackening the pressure on the goblins' heads. You see, he continues, I generally like to be a man of my word, and I did imply that I'd kill whichever one of you was slowest to speak. But I have also been tasked by my Patron to investigate this bombing, and it seems that both of you may have relevant information. He gazes off into the sky for a moment, lowering the goblins to the ground, but keeping a firm grip on them both, a thoughtful expression on his face. Hmmm... AH! I know, he says, his gaze snapping back to the goblins, again raised to his eye level. I'll simply employ the services of a ... "neutral" arbiter. Turning to Sardonyx he repeats what the goblins said in common, explaining his dilemma. So, Sardonyx, what do you think?

Silver Night
2014-05-21, 10:30 AM
Sardonyx

"I'd say whichever of them provides the most useful information. I'll cast Zone of Truth so they can't lie to impress us."

Sardonyx does, indeed, cast Zone of Truth

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-21, 11:38 AM
Goblin 1 describes in this middle man in as much detail as he can although he was wearing a cloak hiding most of him.
Goblin 2 says he has been asked by the middle man to mug the family of an artificer to take his artificer books while he was out of the house.

Silver Night
2014-05-23, 03:38 PM
Sardonyx

Well, I think we should meet this middle-man. Do you both speak of the same one?

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-24, 03:15 AM
Goblin 2: "I think so."

Silver Night
2014-05-25, 01:20 PM
Well then, I expect we should go see him.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2014-05-25, 10:29 PM
Well, Jarn begins, translating for the goblins, it looks like both of you live just so long as you're useful. So, I suppose the fairest thing for me to do, he continues, setting the goblins back on the ground and releasing them, would be to slightly alter the terms our original verbal contract; instead of killing the second one of you to talk I'll simply kill the first one of you who ceases to be useful. I'm glad we could come to a conclusion wherein I can both serve my Patron and conform to the spirit of my given word, he concludes with a small, contented smile.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-27, 09:58 AM
They lead you to the Labosum Inn where it is to hard to detect anyone by scent. Goblin 1: "This is where we meet him, but I don't know when he shows up."

Silver Night
2014-05-28, 09:23 PM
Sardonyx

Sardonyx casts Chain of Eyes on that goblin, "Best you go inside and wait for him, then. I will be watching, in case you should try to warn him or flee."

Dr.Orpheus
2014-05-29, 10:21 AM
The inn has goblins walking in and out all day, but eventually you see goblin 1 tapping his bar stool with his feet in an odd pastern along with a goblin sitting next to him which does not seem to suspicious, but after taking the first sip of his second cup of grog he clenches his heart and collapses. Now goblin 2 and a few others are looking to the door.

Silver Night
2014-06-13, 11:07 PM
Sardonyx enters the inn to investigate.