PDA

View Full Version : Custom magic item creation help

questionmark693
2014-03-15, 05:25 PM
So to clear this, the DM is ok with what I'm attempting, so long as it is by the book. I want a custom item of 'quickened true strike'. My understanding is that for calculating spell level and caster level, I would need to assume a fifth level spell, so at least a ninth level caster, is that accurate?

docnessuno
2014-03-15, 05:49 PM
So to clear this, the DM is ok with what I'm attempting, so long as it is by the book. I want a custom item of 'quickened true strike'. My understanding is that for calculating spell level and caster level, I would need to assume a fifth level spell, so at least a ninth level caster, is that accurate?

Correct, but be aware that not all published items follow the guidelines exactly (so there might be an existing item doing exactly what you want with a price higher or lower than what the custom creation rules would suggest).

questionmark693
2014-03-15, 05:51 PM
Ok, good to know, thanks

Windstorm
2014-03-15, 08:02 PM
its actually covered by a specific example in the wizard's online material, where they cover what an item of true strike might cost by the pricing rules, but how small that cost is relative to the benefits it gives. final price iirc was 200k for a command-word true strike item, though it was strongly suggested it not be allowed at all.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-15, 09:14 PM
its actually covered by a specific example in the wizard's online material, where they cover what an item of true strike might cost by the pricing rules, but how small that cost is relative to the benefits it gives. final price iirc was 200k for a command-word true strike item, though it was strongly suggested it not be allowed at all.

There already is a command word True Strike item: Glove of the master Strategist. It's 1/day, but that can be extrapolated to at will by multiplying by 5.

Windstorm
2014-03-15, 09:31 PM
There already is a command word True Strike item: Glove of the master Strategist. It's 1/day, but that can be extrapolated to at will by multiplying by 5.

I'll just refer you to the article: Magic Items part 7 (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a) its under the heading "some things to avoid"

the glove is considered balanced because it has a use limit per day, a command word item has no use limit and would be severely unbalancing against most encounters.