PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Ups, ive brought a warlock into the sinister spire

Ketiara
2014-03-15, 07:00 PM
And ive done so because its a very easy and straightforward class to play, with the potential to either cheese or just dvance min maxed as you please (granted that the DM (me) allows him to do so, wich I do)

The thing is Im dm'ing for a player that needs to be very low maintenance and VERY easy to play. Anyways this is probably not important to my question, but if it is let me know.

So... How can I make this Warlock viable in sinister spire module... I was SOO occupied in having a warlock in the game, because he gave alot of versatility to my game...
so the thing is my guy loves the warlock class so far.. but many encounters in the spire is constructs that is immune to magic thus making the lock useless dmg wise... so how would you as a player make him viable, granted you had the knowledge of what you were to face, and the gold you has at lvl 6. What invocations and skills, etc would you go with?
keep in mind you are lvl 6 you have around 9k gold (you started at lvl 5 and have 1 lvl advancement gold to spend).
I am the dm, and I want my players to shine, and I know this will shine against the glass golem with the shatter... but id like him to participate atleast... Ive allowed him to change invocations and shop around untill he finds his path... but perhaps you could help.. especially against golem with a 4 man party with a gish, half.minotaur fighter and a pelor cleeric

The Grue
2014-03-15, 07:24 PM
Constructs getting you down? Mammon's Warlock Rewrite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226021) presents a variant of Hammer Blast.

Hammer Blast
Least; 2nd [Eldritch Essence]
You transform your eldritch blast into a hammer blast. When used against constructs, a hammer blast does not allow spell resistance and deals an additional 2d6 damage. A hammer blast deals full damage to objects.

Since the language used is "does not allow spell resistance" rather than "overcomes spell resistance", this Hammer Blast variant is not subject to spell immunity.

Spells that do not allow spell resistance are not affected by spell immunity.

Ketiara
2014-03-15, 07:37 PM
Constructs getting you down? Mammon's Warlock Rewrite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226021) presents a variant of Hammer Blast.

Since the language used is "does not allow spell resistance" rather than "overcomes spell resistance", this Hammer Blast variant is not subject to spell immunity.

I agree that the hammer doesnt allow spellresistanc, but what allow me to use it against a golem?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-15, 07:38 PM
I agree that the hammer doesnt allow spellresistanc, but what allow me to use it against a golem?

Golems are only immune to things that allow SR or saves if I recall.

The Grue
2014-03-15, 07:48 PM
Golems are only immune to things that allow SR or saves if I recall.

Correct. Golems effectively have spell immunity; they are immune, except where noted, to any spell or SLA that allows spell resistance.

Variant Hammer Blast does not allow spell resistance. Also, it does an extra 2d6 damage to constructs.

Tulya
2014-03-15, 08:54 PM
While 3e Magic Immunity flat out denied all magical and supernatural effects barring specific cited exceptions (X is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as follows:), 3.5e transitioned to only restricting the effects of spells and spell-like abilities which allow spell resistance (X is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance). As long as you find a way to produce SR:No effects, you can use them normally against creatures otherwise Magic Immune.

The Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage Species) can accomplish that, though it depends on accepting Eldritch Blast as an "innate spell-like ability".

Ketiara
2014-03-17, 08:18 AM

Am I missing that its homebrew? Because the Hammer Blast I found in CM didnt say anything about constructs, extra dmg any any of the above.

EDIT: yes I was missing it was homebrew.

EDIT: so any alternatives that isnt homebrew?

Big Fau
2014-03-17, 10:08 AM
EDIT: so any alternatives that isnt homebrew?

Supernatural Transformation (Savage Species), but as was mentioned above it's highly debated if the Warlock's EB counts.

FWIW, the Warlock is described as getting his EB from one of two different sources: A pact with an outsider, or inherited from an ancestor who did. With the latter it qualifies, but the former doesn't.

Ketiara
2014-03-17, 03:46 PM
Supernatural Transformation (Savage Species), but as was mentioned above it's highly debated if the Warlock's EB counts.

FWIW, the Warlock is described as getting his EB from one of two different sources: A pact with an outsider, or inherited from an ancestor who did. With the latter it qualifies, but the former doesn't.

Well im the dm and decide to allow it... He is a ranged warlock and very inexperienced so removing all the SR will only make his rounds faster and easier for him. And it won't boost his dmg too much.