PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion

Rev666
2014-03-15, 08:17 PM
In my latest game I've recently been afflicted with lycanthropy (wererat) and I've got levels in ranger. When I hit 4th I get an animal companion but my DM has said its going to be a dire rat. I know the DM has final say but do you think I have any right in this seeing as its my character and I dont want a dire rat companion?

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-15, 08:20 PM
Depending on the fluff behind lycanthropy, natural animals might not like it. However, are you trying to get rid of the curse, or control it? Given your usage of the term afflicted I assume so.

On the one hand, no, the DM probably shouldn't be making choices for you, but I assume they are doing it this way to reflect the idea that it is a curse, not a boon. However, if you do get it lifted, just get something you prefer. After spending so much time trapped in your own body as you acted like a monstrous rat, devouring anything and everything with no regard for life, I think you could easily say that you don't want a reminder following you around that you have to take care of.

Segev
2014-03-15, 08:27 PM
The class feature refers to the Ranger as the one selecting the animal from the available list. While the DM could rule 0 it, it is technically your choice by the RAW.

That said, the best solution isn't to argue the rules with him, but to talk to him about why you don't think this sounds like fun. It's your character; as long as you're not ruining the fun of the other players with your preferred choice in animal companion, it really is probably best for you to get to pick.

Now, maybe your DM has something plot important in mind, in which case you might want to tolerate it for a bit, see where it goes. Ask him about it. Be frank, and honest. If the DM is not just trying to force it because he thinks it's the most appropriate and thus fun for him, role play your character's frustration with this. Maybe drive away the animal companion.

If the DM is truly insistent for no reason other than "it's the DM who gets final say" and he wants it to be a dire rat...you can always choose to stop taking ranger levels before you get that level. Or take an ACF that sacrifices the animal companion, if you can find one. Switching to psychic warrior or fighter for a bit could work, depending on what your character concept is.

But talking to the DM and asking him why he's insisting on this is the right place to start. Be open to it if he has something more than thinking it is "appropriate" or just liking it personally; if not, explain to him why this isn't fun for you.

Rev666
2014-03-15, 08:29 PM
Depending on the fluff behind lycanthropy, natural animals might not like it. However, are you trying to get rid of the curse, or control it? Given your usage of the term afflicted I assume so.

On the one hand, no, the DM probably shouldn't be making choices for you, but I assume they are doing it this way to reflect the idea that it is a curse, not a boon. However, if you do get it lifted, just get something you prefer. After spending so much time trapped in your own body as you acted like a monstrous rat, devouring anything and everything with no regard for life, I think you could easily say that you don't want a reminder following you around that you have to take care of.

Im trying to control it. My character wasnt too nice beforehand (so the shift to evil isnt a stretch) and the bonuses in hybrid form are greatly beneficial (Im the scout so no one sees me change anyway).

My main beef is that while im happy accepting some things are out of my hands, its my character and I should get to play it my way. Itd be the same as if my DM told me I had to pick archery for my ranger combat style even if I didnt want to.

TuggyNE
2014-03-15, 08:34 PM
My main beef is that while im happy accepting some things are out of my hands, its my character and I should get to play it my way.

I suggest explaining why this doesn't make sense (or is, at least, not essential) in-character, rather than focusing on mechanics, since it sounds like the DM will be more sympathetic that way.

Rev666
2014-03-15, 08:38 PM
The class feature refers to the Ranger as the one selecting the animal from the available list. While the DM could rule 0 it, it is technically your choice by the RAW.

That said, the best solution isn't to argue the rules with him, but to talk to him about why you don't think this sounds like fun. It's your character; as long as you're not ruining the fun of the other players with your preferred choice in animal companion, it really is probably best for you to get to pick.

Now, maybe your DM has something plot important in mind, in which case you might want to tolerate it for a bit, see where it goes. Ask him about it. Be frank, and honest. If the DM is not just trying to force it because he thinks it's the most appropriate and thus fun for him, role play your character's frustration with this. Maybe drive away the animal companion.

If the DM is truly insistent for no reason other than "it's the DM who gets final say" and he wants it to be a dire rat...you can always choose to stop taking ranger levels before you get that level. Or take an ACF that sacrifices the animal companion, if you can find one. Switching to psychic warrior or fighter for a bit could work, depending on what your character concept is.

But talking to the DM and asking him why he's insisting on this is the right place to start. Be open to it if he has something more than thinking it is "appropriate" or just liking it personally; if not, explain to him why this isn't fun for you.

Its a core only game so no alternate class features and im a rogue/ranger scout hybrid so I dont want the fighters hit to skill points.

My characters m.o is to feint then attack for his sneak attack bonus. I had originally planned on getting a wolf for its free trip attacks as a way of the 2 working as a deadly pair (wolf tripping as I get in to good position to flank with while using 2 weapon style to max my sneak attack). It also fit his concept of being a lone scout, making tactical hit and run strikes.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-15, 08:56 PM
If it was a temporary thing, I could see it. As a permanent companion? Too much. Talk to your DM and tell him you are not happy he is taking control of the character away from you. If he's doing it for the reasons I suspect, offer to make it a plot hook to get a wolf that it totes okay with the whole turning into a rat thing and will understand that you are still not food in that form.