PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder-mounted Repeating Crossbow. Is it possible?

battlemindjase
2014-03-15, 09:43 PM
So I am currently playing a level 8 Elan Ardent in a game. I have access to all books except Eberron, Faerun, and the BoED and BoVD. My character has become similar to Iron Man (flying, tough armor, Concussion Blast power). I was wondering if I could get something similar to Warmachines minigun mounted on his shoulder.

Best analog I can think of is a shoulder-mounted (hands free) repeating crossbow. With my given source material, is this possible to do?

Nihilarian
2014-03-15, 09:52 PM
I don't think it can be done without Eberron.

Edit: a +1 Dancing repeating crossbow would probably work best.

The Grue
2014-03-15, 09:59 PM
Isn't there a homonculus which is basically an animated crossbow that sits on your shoulder?

Nihilarian
2014-03-15, 10:05 PM
Isn't there a homonculus which is basically an animated crossbow that sits on your shoulder?The Arbalester.

... From Magic of Eberron.

The Grue
2014-03-15, 11:02 PM
Right. Carry on, then.

avr
2014-03-15, 11:37 PM
If you have a psicrystal you might be able to adapt the ballista rules to let it fire a crossbow larger than itself. Since it's Diminutive, a Small crossbow should be possible.

Or you could just give it a Diminutive crossbow. Pretty sad base damage though.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-15, 11:41 PM
A Quick Loading crossbow will hold 100 shots. Put that on a repeating crossbow and you have a start.

Not sure how to get it to sit on your shoulder and fire. A variation of the Dancing ability maybe?

EDIT: +1 Dancing, Quick Loading, Repeating crossbow with those alchemical fire bolts. That's as good as it gets I think.

Worira
2014-03-15, 11:54 PM
Well, there's a Warforged component in the Eberr-

Hmm.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-03-15, 11:56 PM
Don't forget with Dancing, its not automatic, you still need to use your actions to use it. Maybe a Custom item of At-Will Cloud of Knives? At least gives you a FA ranged attack. Just fluff it.

Windstorm
2014-03-16, 12:26 AM
Isn't dancing Melee only?

Assuming quick-loading and repeating, all that is really missing is a way to aim and fire.

I suppose you could borrow from the command word costs from the item creation section of dmg, but aiming without penalty is the tricky part

Ziegander
2014-03-16, 12:33 AM
What about an intelligent, quick-loading, repeating crossbow? Can it fire itself?