PDA

View Full Version : My Ideal Superman Game

ThatNickGuy
2014-03-15, 10:48 PM
http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/my-ideal-superman-game-part-2-side-quests/

Technically, this is Part 2 of a series I've been posting on my blog. There's a link to Part 1 right at the beginning of this, however.

With the success of the Arkham games and Arkham Knight being the end of the series, I've wondered if perhaps it's time we finally get a proper Superman game. I'm a huge fan of the Man of Steel myself, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on what I would personally love to see. This is thoughts both as a long-time gamer of 30 years, and a comic book fan of 20 years.

What do you guys think? I'm aware it's still rough, but I think it has a lot of potential.

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-15, 11:25 PM
As long as there are no parts where I have to fly through a bunch of rings..................... :smallsigh::smallamused:

ThatNickGuy
2014-03-15, 11:32 PM
As long as there are no parts where I have to fly through a bunch of rings..................... :smallsigh::smallamused:

If I were in charge, that would never - EVER - happen.

Wellllll...except maybe as a very quick in-game joke.

MLai
2014-03-16, 11:09 PM
Yes a Superman fight should definitely about Superman trying to "contain/arrest" the menace in question, while preventing collateral damage to the public. The game mechanics should flow into this, rather than preach it artificially. Superman should act more like a cop in a police procedural action game, than some bruiser in a brawler game.

If you design the game action mechanics with that mindset, you would avoid the pitfall of "Well I can't design a game with a responsible Superman, because that would be confining the player, and be boring." You'd know that's an incorrect assumption because you wouldn't automatically think that way if you wanted to create a Cops TV game.

I don't think it should be automatic "Game Over" if your Supes fail to avert a minimum number of disasters/crimes. But go ahead and install a Superhero Reputation meter. Go ahead and have citizens react negatively to a compassionless Supes, viewing him as more of a dangerous vigilante than the heroic guardian. Go ahead and give the player the "antihero" story branch and "bad ending". Maybe you can show this visually by having a Supes with a mean scowling face and a darker suit coloration.

Fighting mechanics... I'm thinking use DBZ games as inspiration? So there would be 2 settings which would alter the player's combat tactics... the Metropolis setting where the player's priority should be protecting the populace and buildings when fighting, and then the alien/deserted/B-ship settings where Supes can cut loose.

Mando Knight
2014-03-16, 11:32 PM
Maybe you can show this visually by having a Supes with a mean scowling face and a darker suit coloration.

Or a crown. And laser-eye-beams burning the sweater that Jimmy gave him.

ObadiahtheSlim
2014-03-19, 02:28 PM
Or a crown. And laser-eye-beams burning the sweater that Jimmy gave him.

Classic Super Dickery!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DCBQ3nptxo0/THRTdd3kzWI/AAAAAAAADcA/fRh19mi6lWk/s1600/Jimmy_Olsen_30a.jpg