PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making an effective kobold monk. Is is possible?

BizzaroStormy
2014-03-16, 05:29 AM
I'm kind of racking my brain trying to make a kobold monk viable. With stats a little better than a 20-point buy (specifically 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17) I can't find a way to make him any more effective than a human fighter NPC at the same tasks. The crippled strength means a striker build is out, the sizs and crippled strength mean the a grappler is out, and combat expertise requires a 13 INT which is impossible when i put my 15 and 17 into my DEX and WIS respectively.

Can anyone offer some insight on how to make this work?

roko10
2014-03-16, 06:37 AM
The words "effective" and "monk" should never be in the same sentence.

Tier jokes aside, though, maybe you should use Qiuggong Monk; it makes the monk some sort of a minicaster.

BizzaroStormy
2014-03-16, 06:43 AM
The words "effective" and "monk" should never be in the same sentence.

Tier jokes aside, though, maybe you should use Qiuggong Monk; it makes the monk some sort of a minicaster.

Due to the alignment restrictions, im pretty much stuck using the martial artist archetype.

Renen
2014-03-16, 07:11 AM
Use the zen archer. Its pretty daen good.

Also, effective and monk CAN be in one sentence. Ill demonstrate

"There is no such thing as an effective monk"

Yanisa
2014-03-16, 07:34 AM
The crippled strength mean the a grappler is out

Agile Maneuvers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/agile-maneuvers-combat)

Although the size is still an issue.

Sian
2014-03-16, 07:57 AM
if accepting 3.5 material, looking at Underfoot Combat -> Confound the Big Folk in Races of the Wild might be a good place to start for small monks (well ... small melee in general)

BizzaroStormy
2014-03-16, 09:30 AM
Agile Maneuvers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/agile-maneuvers-combat)

Although the size is still an issue.

There's no mention in the SRD of size being an issue while grappling (excluding the size modifiers) Its just when you want to do anything else like a drag or trip, that size becomes a problem.

Yanisa
2014-03-16, 09:40 AM
There's no mention in the SRD of size being an issue while grappling (excluding the size modifiers) Its just when you want to do anything else like a drag or trip, that size becomes a problem.

True, even the -4 penalty from 3.5 is removed. You are dealing with a -1, which isn't a real problem.

Not sure if it does help you, but yo can still do something with maneuvers.

BizzaroStormy
2014-03-16, 09:43 AM
Again the problem becomes the size restriction on the maneuvers that matter like trip and bull rush. I won't be able to rely on grappling since the strength penalty will ruin my CMD.

Yanisa
2014-03-16, 09:53 AM
Again the problem becomes the size restriction on the maneuvers that matter like trip and bull rush. I won't be able to rely on grappling since the strength penalty will ruin my CMD.
I told you? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

I guess the best option is trying to make a straight punching monk, but with Weapon Finesse and Agile Amulet of Mighty Fist. I say go with Snake Style + Snake Fang + Combat Reflexes and you at least have a lot of attacks and a lot of synergy with Dex. Too bad you need be at least level 9... or 11... I forgot, to fully operate.
Also the low con does hurt, especially early levels.

And is it effective? [Insert monk joke here] But seriously, when you pick a monk and limit yourself away from combat maneuvers you cannot expect a lot.

Naanomi
2014-03-16, 10:27 AM
Shuriken storm! Learn craft: poison making and throw poisoned shuriken at a rapid pace at people.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-03-16, 10:49 AM
Kobold Master of Many Styles Monk 1 / Synthesist Summoner 19.

Done.

Psyren
2014-03-16, 01:21 PM

Size does limit you however if you try to use the best way to grapple in PF - namely the grab special ability. So being a small grappler can still be unwise.

For a small combatant I would instead advise focusing on a different maneuver, e.g. Dirty Trick, as well as getting the Quick Dirty Trick feat asap.