PDA

View Full Version : Spellbook keeping.

G.Cube
2014-03-16, 10:40 AM
Pretty basic, how does the Playground manage it's Wizard spellbook and prepared spells?

Trilby
2014-03-16, 11:19 AM
In a spreadsheet on my iPad.

This works really well. I use 1 sheet per spell level to list my spells with the descriptions. After that comes a sheet that contains the 'prepared today' list, with a used/available toggle for every spell prepared. For utility I keep a similar list underneath for my pearls of power, and other relevant magic items. I call it my hipsterbook :smallcool:. Fancy coffee not included.

Inevitability
2014-03-16, 12:07 PM
I mainly do PBP, so my wizard's spellbook is located on the designated part of his character sheet on MythWeavers.

AuraTwilight
2014-03-16, 03:45 PM
My group, on the rare cases we play book-keeping spellcasters, like to take a page from new age Wiccanism and make legit-seeming Books of Shadows as a feelie.

Kazudo
2014-03-16, 03:49 PM
If it's a long-running game and I haven't talked my way into essentially just GIVING me all the spells, I just print off the ones I need or pagemark the book location and keep track of it on paper.

If I have succeeded at the aforementioned ooc skill checks, then I pretty much just pull out the Spells/Day Dartboard...

nyjastul69
2014-03-16, 07:11 PM
I use the spell sheets from the 3.5 Deluxe Character Sheets.

Windstorm
2014-03-16, 07:44 PM
prepared spellcasters are one of the reasons I fell in love with lone wolf development's Hero Lab. even if its only used for prep and you're using a printed sheet at the table, its amazing to be able to get a spells prepared summary of exclusively what you have. the community data set for it also gets more and more complete every month.

Vhaidara
2014-03-16, 07:52 PM
I make a list in Notepad, then e-mail it to myself. I then open the e-mail on my phone, save it there, and use the DnDTools app to look up the details when I need to cast.

VoxRationis
2014-03-16, 10:05 PM
I just write my prepared/known on separate lists on the back of my character sheet. I write in a font size comparable to 10 point font, or smaller sometimes, so I usually have plenty of space.

watchwood
2014-03-16, 10:07 PM
I used a 3 page character sheet that has all the spell/familiar info on the third page. I keep all the relevant info (range, saves, etc) in a form of shorthand notes I've developed over the years.

Alefiend
2014-03-16, 10:14 PM
Management programs like Perram's Spellbook (http://www.thegm.org/perramsSpellbook.php) (link is for Pathfinder version) are excellent for this. Feel free to Google around for similar things.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-16, 11:41 PM
My character sheets are all Excel docs, so I add a "Spells" sheet to whichever ones need it. For a Wizard specifically, I'll have a "Prepared" column with my prepared spells divided by level, a "Divinations" column with all of my scribed Divination spells divided by level (because not taking Spontaneous Divination is crazy talk), and a separate column for each level of scribed non-Divination spells I have, divided by function ("Buffing," "Battlefield Control," "Damage," etc.).

Anlashok
2014-03-16, 11:50 PM
prepared spellcasters are one of the reasons I fell in love with lone wolf development's Hero Lab. even if its only used for prep and you're using a printed sheet at the table, its amazing to be able to get a spells prepared summary of exclusively what you have. the community data set for it also gets more and more complete every month.

I really want to like HL but holy hell do they brutalize people's wallets.

Story
2014-03-17, 12:02 AM
I keep the full list of spells known in a text file on my laptop, along with all the other character build details. I find that there's always a lot of stuff that doesn't quite fit on the standard character sheets.

Spells prepared I write down on a notepad or sheet of paper and keep track of usage by putting dots next to them.

Arcanist
2014-03-17, 12:17 AM
I like to keep physical copies with an extra list in my dropbox (On a Word Doc).

I do like to make the physical book LOOK like a Spellbook and will often staple a pen and string on the binding of the book to let me jot down whenever I please. When boredom comes, I doodle in the book along with the Spells and just point it off to my character going insane as he/she learns more and more arcane secrets.

But it has been a while since I actually played a prepared caster so I haven't done this in some time. I still have an old Spellbook from an old Epic Wizard I played that dumped a hot majority of his gold on knowing all my favorite spells. First book I ever filled cover to cover.

starwoof
2014-03-17, 12:23 AM
I write each of my spellbooks on a sheet of paper in my binder. I have another page that has my spells per level organized and I just update how many I can prepare. Then I write down the spells I have prepared and erase them after I use them.

Apparently I'm the only one that uses paper.

Windstorm
2014-03-17, 02:21 AM
I really want to like HL but holy hell do they brutalize people's wallets.

for pathfinder yeah, its a bit bad, however those are meant to be book replacements directly supported by paizo, with unquestionably ironclad legality, so there are some actual grounds for pricing.

as for D20/3.5, the community data set comes the the disclaimer that you must own the books you intend to use, but its completely free to grab from the auto-update link, the only requirement is that you have access to the base D20 set in HL.

I believe you can use the auto-update link in the trial version, directions are on the HL d20 forums for how to get it if you want to give it a try.