PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Deity of Mirrors?

unseenmage
2014-03-16, 01:23 PM
Is there a Deity of Mirrors?

Especially in the Forgotten Realms? Or at least a deity said to have gone missing?

Am working on a Mirror Plane (MotP) connected campaign arc and the plot requires that there be rumor of a missing deity trapped/lost in a rather hugemassive constellation (many connected mirror miniplanes) on the Plane of Mirrors.

I don't need a major deity, or even one anybody's heard about. But the players are lore buffs so I'd still prefer not to homebrew this particular McGuffin.

Psyren
2014-03-16, 01:29 PM
Mirrors say Illusions to me, so Leira would be perfect for this. Bonus points since she is indeed missing, i.e. most people and even deities think she is dead (killed by Cyric, who stole her Deception portfolio), though there are persistent rumors that she may not be, and that her apparent demise is merely her greatest illusion yet. The Lady of Lies lurking in a mirror-verse can have all kinds of plot hooks and implications associated with it.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-16, 01:43 PM
Hmm. Not one that I know of. But here are some ideas that might have related usefulness.

- Elven deity of time...I think her name was Labelas Enoreth, but it's seriously been a decade since I looked at the full elven pantheon. Anyway, mirrors and alternate worlds/time travel often have some kind of confluence in creative mythologies. I also seem to remember an elven deity of beauty or youth or something that guards a magical fountain of youth/mystical beauty with...I think it was Sune. Fountains are often likened to mirrors, since you can see your reflection in the water. Also, people often look in mirrors to check their beauty/youth, a la "mirror, mirror, on the wall...."

- Selune or some other moon god/goddess. The moon illuminates the world of night, a silvery reflection of the world of the day, where everything is the same, but different.

- A god of beauty or vanity. Remember Narcissus of Greek legend? He fell in love with his own reflection in a pond. Or maybe a god of freshwater areas.

- Light/dark duality god. Fundamental to Realms lore is the Shar/Mystra, Shadow Weave/Weave thing. Perhaps, in some unknown event at the dawn of the world, Shar and Mystra were once closer, before eons of history and enmity separated them. In fact, perhaps they shared a third psyche, a minor god that manifested due to their proximity, the lack of definition between light and dark, magic and shadow magic in the age before spells and the casters that created the modern distinctions. Ao, or whomever, may not have approved of this minor god/third persona, because this being represented a unity of night and day that was not part of the plan. So the god was banished to the mirror planes or something. Or, perhaps, over time, the god just became less and less powerful as the goddesses grew apart. Or, maybe this god was originally a kind of imaginary friend that the two goddesses shared, a kind of go-between that allowed them to remain connected before the big rift developed. Not totally clear on how the rift developed, so feel free to modify this based on what is canon about those early days.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-16, 04:19 PM
Let's look at this from a different perspective. And I'm talking about the Forgotten Realms, here ...

Sharess is the Goddess of Hedonism, Festhalls and Sensual Fulfillment.

"She has the individualistic and hedonistic personality of a feline and she is constantly grooming herself to ensure her appearance is always up to standards."

See how that could apply to mirrors? :smallamused:

Savras is the God of Divination and Truth. He's the deity most associated with divinatory magic ... especially scrying. And what implement is used the most with scrying? Mirrors and water reflection. In addition, check out this F.R. quote:

"Water opals are rare and highly prized for use in decorating mirrors and windows and in the creation of scrying devices such as crystal balls."

Water opals just happen to be the most symbolic gem associated with Savras (who bestows them upon worshipers who earn his favor).

Also, I did a search for you on the F.R. Wikia for the word "mirror". Here are the results -> Linkee (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=mirrors&fulltext=Search&ns0=1&ns14=1) ... You might be able to glean or extrapolate some additional information from all those link references.

unseenmage
2014-03-17, 07:41 AM
New question, how would you folk go about emulating in game terms, a brand new constellation of Mirror Plane mirrors being created while the players were still on said plane?

Mirror Plane miniplanes are called constellations. A constellation is where several mirrors are all connected by some fact, all made by the same craftsman, all in the same dragon's hoard for a long time, all formed from the same powdered diamond, something ties them together.

So I had the clever idea to have the players enter a constellation that was being formed as they explore it. New hallways and passages sprouting off in new directions as they travel.

But because this is supposed to be an adventure I thought it'd be nice and brutal to make it dangerous and deadly too. :smallamused: Existing hallways collapsing, the mirror portals themselves flying through the air to new locations, gravity upending itself at points, basically a newborn demiplane in flux.

But I'm not sure how far to go. Level set to start this campaign arc is now 8th, Gestalt, and in high powered Faerun (shortest explanation is that it's like Faerun with more power *shrugs*). The upper limits of the arc could be epic but will likely only be in the teens for level.

There could even be the chance that this isn't a one-time experience too; That the Mirror Plane denizens have found a method of expanding their territory and are mass producing constellations.

Thoughts Playground?