PDA

View Full Version : character building spreadsheet

rrwoods
2014-03-16, 02:45 PM
I have recently developed (completed yesterday) a spreadsheet in Excel 2013 to aid in building 20 levels of a 3.5 character. It occurred to me that probably someone else may have done the same thing already, and if not this is probably useful to other folks making builds. So this is a thread for swapping sheets and ideas.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/Build%20template.xlsx

The cyan cells are for entering information (though the ones in the feats column will turn green or yellow if you're supposed to enter two or three feats respectively).

Any time you're expected to type the name of a skill (across the top of the right side of the "Build" sheet, for example), use the abbreviations on the "Classes" sheet. (They are constructed in a systematic way rather than an intuitive way to make them easier to remember -- multi-word skill names are always the initials; single-words are always the first three letters. Knowledge skills are K-first three or K-a/b. Spellcraft is one word! So it's Spe.)

Things the sheet knows and will tell you about: Prestige/feat requirements not being met; too many feats at a level; too many skill points used; unused skill points. It knows about Able Learner but not about Vow of Poverty. It knows to add skills/a feat for Humans. It does not use macros to do any of this (in theory this allows for higher portability and it will work with macros turned off). It knows to use ability point increments to increase skill points and qualify for feats/prcs if appropriate.

There are probably bugs as I've only used this about four times so far, so let me know what you find. There are probably improvements that could be made (like figuring out how to handle Vow of Poverty and class features that increase ability scores).

EDIT: fixed a PrC bug where you wouldn't qualify for the class until two levels later (making too many assumptions about the PrC req table's rows lining up with the rows in the build table)