PDA

View Full Version : Is there an 'easy guide' to publishing under the Open Games License? (Or other licens

EccentricOwl
2014-03-16, 03:53 PM
I was curious if there was any sort of easy how-to that some awesome gamer had written up; maybe a simple 'do and don't' or 'what you can and can't use' that extrapolates information from Pathfinder's OGL or other similar licenses, like the Savage Worlds license.

I just don't want my product to utilize anything I'm not allowed to, and what in-product citation pages I require. That sort of thing.

Does what I want exist, or is it just a pipe dream?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-16, 03:58 PM
I'm not aware of one, but it feels like this might be crossing the line into "legal advice", so I'd steer clear.

Grinner
2014-03-16, 04:00 PM
Have you seen the OGL FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f) yet?

Viros
2014-03-17, 06:00 PM
I'm not aware of one, but it feels like this might be crossing the line into "legal advice", so I'd steer clear.

Ah, that's one of the more infrequently addressed rules which are easier to forget. Lucky you brought it up, or I would've launched right in to a big post.

Yora
2014-03-18, 04:18 AM
I think the OGL is actually quite easy to understand. All the important information is in that document.
Other than that, the quick rule of thumb is "you can use everything that is in the SRD, and nothing else". (Always copy from the SRD, never from any books, and you're on the safe side.)

When you want to use material published under the OGL by other companies than WotC, things get a bit more complicated. (You actually can do that, but it's much more difficult to identify which parts are okay and which ones are not.)

As some random guy on the internet, who does not claim to be a licenced lawyer, says: Use only material that is in the SRD, don't use the term Dungeons & Dragons or D&D, and include a copy of the OGL (as it says in section 10), and you should be fine.