PDA

View Full Version : Warmage Alteration

Rakoa
2014-03-16, 04:33 PM
I was curious, what with Warmages being tier 4, as to how the Playground thinks that these minor yet significant alterations would change their tier.

1.) Spellcasting is INT-based to reduce MAD.

2.) They are granted access to the entire Sorc/Wiz evocation list, rather than the specialized list granted to them.

3.) Advanced Learning allows them to add any Sorc/Wiz spell to their list.

Whaddaya think, fellas?

Zanos
2014-03-16, 04:50 PM
Spontaneous casting of every evocation spell from the Sorc/Wiz list gets them to tier 3, at least. Despite popular opinions there are some very good evocation spells that can cover a variety of situations.

HunterOfJello
2014-03-16, 04:59 PM
I would leave them as charisma based and they already have an ACF where they can learn extra spells from the Wiz/Sorc list.

I've had the idea about giving them access to every evocation spell before and I think that it could make for a fun character.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-16, 07:48 PM
That'd probably work. Though they're honestly not very MAD (Int does practically nothing for 'em), and I do think that they're a lot more versatile in combat than people make 'em out to be-- blasting may be weak, but they've got plenty of good BFC, SoD, and debuff spells on their list. They're probably best filed under "Tier 3.5-- really only good at one thing (fighting), but with plenty of options for doing so," along with the Warblade, Duskblade, and maybe Crusader. Just letting them use Advanced Learning to pick up any sorcerer/wizard spell would probably be enough to bump 'em up.

TroubleBrewing
2014-03-16, 07:50 PM
Adding in access to all Sorc/Wiz Evocation stuff is probably enough to push them into Tier 3. As Grod said, their Int-based stuff isn't really that big of a concern.

Urpriest
2014-03-16, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to think if there are any Sorc/Wiz Evocations that might push the class into Tier 2. Contingency I guess? Probably not enough by itself though.

TroubleBrewing
2014-03-16, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to think if there are any Sorc/Wiz Evocations that might push the class into Tier 2. Contingency I guess? Probably not enough by itself though.

Mainly due to a distinct lack of Contingency-worthy spells on the rest of the list.

Rakoa
2014-03-17, 10:12 AM
So then Tier 3 seems to be the general consensus. That's pretty much what I was aiming for. I was worried that the extra flexibility with the Advanced Learning alteration might be too much.

I'll axe the Int change, then, and keep the other two changes. Thanks for the input, folks! :smallsmile:

NoACWarrior
2014-03-17, 02:47 PM
I fear I'm too late with my additions -
change advanced learning to add ANY evocation spell from any other class.
change warmage edge to include +1 damage per die or Int mod, whichever is higher.
change sudden meta magics when used by a warmage to usable one per the total number of sudden meta magic feats (the number of sudden feats you have is your pool for the day to apply any of the meta magic feats, this can be broken once the warmage gets quicken).