PDA

View Full Version : I need help w/ building our 5th character (Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer)

Nod_Hero
2014-03-16, 05:49 PM
We are starting a brand new campaign set in the War of the Burning Sky. Starting at level 1, planning to go to at least level 21. Pretty much all books and magazines available to take from but we are playing without errata.

Our party consists of:
Human Arena Fighter (Flail prone tricks)
Dwarf Straladin (wants to wield a "big 2H weapon")
Thri-kreen Ranger|Cleric (ranged attacks focus)
Tiefling Warlord|Bard ("lazylord" inspired by Master of Puppets build)

Seems like we should do okay, an interesting mix that I had at least enough know-how or was able to research enough to help them with their characters. If you have any tips/suggestions about any of the above I'm ready, willing, and able to hear em! Then there's the last guy. Our fifth player wants to make a Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer. He is set on half-elf, he is set on Sorcerer (doesn't want to do Elementalist) and he is set on Dragon magic. I'm admitting I'm lost. I don't know how to make a build with those parameters and I'm afraid I'll gimp him going at it blind. So, wonderful playgrounders, help me help him with at least a semi-okay variation or two.

Nod_Hero
2014-03-16, 07:00 PM
Here's my first draft:

HElf Sorc-1, level 1
Half-Elf, Sorcerer
Build: Dragon Sorcerer
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Fire
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Primordial Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 15 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 17
HP: 30 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Intimidate +9, Bluff +9, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +1, Heal -1, History, Insight +1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion, Stealth +1, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Rod Expertise

POWERS
Dilettante: Eyebite
Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Vezzuvu's Eruption
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer at-will 1: Storm Walk
Sorcerer encounter 1: Explosive Pyre
Sorcerer daily 1: Howling Tempest

ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Adventurer's Kit, Javelin (2), Rod Implement

Primordial Adept to give him Rod proficiency (so he can use Rod Expertise to bump his AC/Reflex) and it adds another fire/thunder based encounter power. I took Eyebite as the Dilettante because I thought the invisibility would be a good one turn defense. Dragonsoul Fire because WotBS does fire damage on teleports and this will generally defend him from that, and there's a few creatures with minor resists to fire which he should be able to pierce.

Thoughts?

Elkreeal
2014-03-16, 07:50 PM
I don't think there's a good reason to pick up a rod if he's not a dragonborn, specially when he should be picking up Accurate daggers or Accurate Staffs. Specially with the staff of ruin as a choice. You can get a +1 to AC/Ref with a Rhythm Blade Accurate dagger, and still use a staff on your main hand, or you can just hold a Defensive Staff for a +1 to all NADs.

If you had a dragonborn he could combine Rod of the Dragonborn with Draconic Spellcaster otherwise it's not worth it for a Sorcerer.

Nod_Hero
2014-03-16, 08:17 PM
We are starting from scratch level 1 with 100 gold, so a Rod implement w/ Expertise was his best starting defensive option that I could find.
I will definitely put those items on his wish list and he can always retrain the expertise once those magic items you suggest become available.
Overall, stats and powers-wise, is the build built at least halfway competently?

One note I forgot to mention was that we all got an inherent bonus +1 to attack/damage/defenses, I just don't know how to add that to the character builder.

Elkreeal
2014-03-16, 08:34 PM
The only other thing is that you should at least have a starting 20, or 19, otherwise he's gonna fall behind in the party (assuming the other players started with a 20 on the main stat)

GPuzzle
2014-03-16, 08:36 PM
He doesn't have Rod proficiency. Weird.

But honestly, take Acid Orb over Storm Walk. It trades damage for a futile (seriously, shift one is, while great, kind of stupid for a Sorcerer, who generally like to stay in the background).

Other than that, pretty good for a level 1 Sorcerer.

Inevitability
2014-03-17, 11:19 AM
If you have a lazylord in your party, you may want to check out the Elementalist. Their ability scores line up with the half-elf boosts, and the lazylord will LOVE you for giving him the ability to rain sweet, sweet dead upon his enemies by granting you extra attacks.