PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Haste Spell: Alternative Spells & Higher Level Options

Miss Disaster
2014-03-16, 07:38 PM
We all know how phenomenal the 3.5 Haste spell performs throughout the entirety of the lower-to-middle play levels. The spell can obviously be a strong performer in the higher levels too - if a party structures its resource allocations around the expectation that it will be an early-encounter buffcast. *But* ... I'm curious as to how groups who play in the higher levels of play (say 13th-to-20th) view Haste in comparison to other alternatives. Especially since many groups would prefer that their arcanisy be casting more potent, higher-level pre-or-early combat buffs or offensives.

At those levels in a lot of tournament play, you see a sizable amount of tanks running with the Haste-providing Boots of Speed, making a casting of Haste a bit of a waste. Also you have a lot more Haste-clone spells of higher than 3rd level that may entice the eye of an adventuring party who would prefer the different operating parameters of these Haste clones. Examples of those spells are Sakkratar's Triple Strike, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Battletide (usually via UMD) and even Mass Snake's Swiftness.

So I'm curious of any testimonials any of you may have in regards to the play dynamics of the Haste spell ... and/or its alternatives & options ... within your respective higher-level playing group.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-17, 08:46 AM
I should clarify more about what I said earlier. In 3.5 Living Greyhawk play, for example, hardly anybody was casting haste at 13th level and higher. Boots of Speed were pretty much a de rigeur acquisition for the melee types who wanted Haste-style benefits *consistently*. Also, Haste was pretty much a consistent spell to be seen on well-built sorcerers. You didn't see it much on wizards because sorcerers could spam it consistently for 4 combats per day.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-18, 08:20 AM
Anybody wish to chime in?

:-(

Segev
2014-03-18, 09:06 AM
I'm perhaps missing something. You refer to "high-level tournament play," but I'm not sure what that means in D&D.

What is it you're looking to discuss, here? Buffs that do more at high levels than does Haste? For what sort of build?

Haste is very much a "fighter buff" or at least a "non-caster" buff. Given that T1 play doesn't tend to include non-casters...

Miss Disaster
2014-03-18, 09:52 AM
I was referencing the very popular and prolific Living Greyhawk Campaign (part of the RPGA Network) sponsored by WotC during the 3.5 years. Many players over the years were able to organically play their characters from 1st level up to Retirement Level (which was at first, 18, then later 16). It was predicated on being a very common-sense practical-optimization gaming style due to gaming table variation. Haste pretty much dissapeared from game play at around 13th level or so. Tanks and BSFs wanted extremely consistent Haste effects at that time - so they usually acquired Boots of Speed. Plus, 13th level arcanists usually had more effective pre-combat or early-stage-combat spells to cast than Haste.

As far as what I wish to discuss, it's pretty much laid out in detail in the OP - and titled in the thread subject. There are a number of alternative to Haste in both magical system components (spells/powers/melds/vestiges) and magical equipment. I named a few of them in the OP. So I'm curious about how others compare and contrast the performance aspects of the ubiquitous Haste spell with those other options.

Keep in mind, this is not a bash on the Haste spell. I've happily used it for years and find that its scaleability and bang-for-the-buck performance makes it an upper echelon spell.

hemming
2014-03-18, 10:10 AM
The celerity + time stop combo seems pretty popular