PDA

View Full Version : Contingency as ghetto divination

Talakeal
2014-03-17, 02:24 AM
Is there any limit to using a contingency spell which goes off if something the mage couldn't possibly know arrises?

For example, cast light if my underling thinks of betraying me, or if one of my allies on the other side of the planet needs my help, or if i enter a room with a secret door, etc?

It seems to me that as written contingency is all but omniscient and blows all the other information gathering spells out of the water.

Kraken
2014-03-17, 02:30 AM
It isn't defined anywhere, and there isn't even anything that could appropriately be considered guidelines anywhere, I don't think. It's pretty much entirely what your DM is willing to allow.

TuggyNE
2014-03-17, 03:31 AM
The interpretation I've generally seen, and agree with, is that contingency is limited to what you yourself could perceive reactively, and has no innate divination abilities at all. If, on the other hand, you're using various Divinations to enhance your senses, contingency should probably be able to make use of them to, e.g., react to an invisible enemy as well as a visible one.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-17, 09:14 AM
To the OP ... your first example regarding underling betrayal can possibly be more efficiently addressed via the 3rd level spell, Enduring Scrutiny. You need to *word* it right though.