PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spellsword channel spell abuse

Saintsqc
2014-03-17, 09:43 AM
Channel Spell (Sp): At 4th level, a spellsword can channel any spell he can cast into his melee weapon. Using this ability requires a move action, and the spellsword uses up the prepared spell or spell slot just as if he had cast the spell. The channeled spell affects the next target that the spell sword successfully attacks with his weapon (saving throws and spell resistance still apply). Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it affects only the target. The spell is discharged from the weapon, which can then hold an other spell. A spellsword can channel his spells into only one weapon at a time. Spells channeled into a weapon are lost if not used in 8 hours.

So, in other words, a spellsword can channel any spell into his weapon, and the spell wil only affect the target. A fireball channeled is cool, it can deals a lot of damage.

But...what if...a spellsword channel area spell such as sleet storm, fog cloud, black tentacle.

Let's say, a lvl 5 wizard/1 figther/4 spell sword channel stinking cloud into his next blow. What will happen to the target?

Stinking cloud :

Stinking cloud creates a bank of fog like that created by fog cloud, except that the vapors are nauseating. Living creatures in the cloud become nauseated. This condition lasts as long as the creature is in the cloud and for 1d4+1 rounds after it leaves. (Roll separately for each nauseated character.) Any creature that succeeds on its save but remains in the cloud must continue to save each round on your turn.

Is the target considered into the cloud for 7 rounds?

Another question, does the description "willing creature" still apply with a channel spell? The "dimension door" spell is insane :

Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction, such as “900 feet straight downward,” or “upward to the northwest, 45-degree angle, 1,200 feet.”

Let's say a spellsword channel dimension door and the location is "1200 feet above" than hit the ennemy. How many d6s is a fall of 1200 feet exactly? The text rule doesnt say anything about "willing creature" specification.

thethird
2014-03-17, 10:02 AM
Sorry I failed to read :smalltongue:

You are still loosing a lot of caster levels, someone who didn't take fighter or spellsword levels could be going full wizard, and get spells of a level higher. Or it could have gone into some of the really strong prestige classes, gaining other benefits. The abjurant champion is overall a better gish prc.

Saintsqc
2014-03-17, 10:17 AM
Sorry I failed to read :smalltongue:

You are still loosing a lot of caster levels, someone who didn't take fighter or spellsword levels could be going full wizard, and get spells of a level higher. Or it could have gone into some of the really strong prestige classes, gaining other benefits. The abjurant champion is overall a better gish prc.

I fully agree with you, spellsword is not the best prc for a wizard.

However, the channel spell feature opens the door to some pretty cool combo. I wonder if duration area affect (such as cloud-like spell) follow the target. If a target is considered within a stinking cloud for 7 rounds, this target is out of the fight (bad visibility/concealment + nauseated). Also, if "willing" channelled spell (like dimension door) can affect "unwilling" creature, it can lead to some broken combo. I dont care how resistant the ennemy is, if he is teleported 1200 feet in the sky and fall, he's dead.

DrMike105
2014-03-17, 10:19 AM
For the stinking cloud, I would rule that it only affects the square the target is in, and he could leave to escape the effect.

As per the Dimension Door, I'm pretty sure the "willing target" makes him immune by RAW. That being said, I'd probably still allow it to affect him (with a will or reflex save) because it's cool. There are any number of save-or-die spells available, and this would encourage some out-of-the-box thinking.

Falling damage, btw, is d6 per 10 feet. So, 1200 ft = 120d6 damage.

edit: added reflex

Siosilvar
2014-03-17, 10:22 AM
Falling damage, btw, is d6 per 10 feet. So, 1200 ft = 120d6 damage.

...capped at 20d6.

thethird
2014-03-17, 10:24 AM
Well those things fall in the realm of the DM. Personally I would say no to personal spells being channeled, and dim door would still offer a save (will) if it were to be channeled. I would also rule that the stinking cloud only affects the target (if it fails the fortitude save).

Also note that falling damage caps at 20d6 (so that would be what you would be doing) assuming the fall is in hard ground, the creature is incapable of tumbling, or casting many of the spells that prevent falling damage (such as feather fall, which is a 1st level spell).

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-17, 10:26 AM
My favorite channel spell abuse is to channel geas or mark of justice...

thethird
2014-03-17, 10:27 AM
Incidentally if you like to channel geas consider going with dragonfire adept to get it as an invocation :smalltongue:

DrMike105
2014-03-17, 10:37 AM
...capped at 20d6.

...whoops...

Gaes is evilly brilliant. Dominate might be fun, too, and I bet some lateral thinking with Baleful Transposition could be great.

Big Fau
2014-03-17, 11:17 AM
So, how does this work with Genesis?

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-17, 12:05 PM
...whoops...

Gaes is evilly brilliant. Dominate might be fun, too, and I bet some lateral thinking with Baleful Transposition could be great.

Dominate and baleful transposition are definitely fun, but the nice thing about geas is that it doesn't allow a saving throw. Ordinarily that's mitigated by the ten minute casting time - but channel spell is explicitly a move action to charge your sword, regardless of the spell's casting time.

Now I want to put together a build based around this. I'd call it the Ticktockman, and go around shouting, "Repent, Harlequin!" as I whack people with a channeled geas. Probably a Jade Phoenix Mage gish with four levels in Spellsword. Charge up my sword as a move action, Sudden Leap in, then Emerald Razor to make it a nice, easy touch attack...

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-17, 12:09 PM
If you channel a Harm spell and crit on the attack, does the harm damage get multiplied?

Edit: sorry, slightly off topic

Khedrac
2014-03-17, 12:26 PM
If you channel a Harm spell and crit on the attack, does the harm damage get multiplied?

Edit: sorry, slightly off topic
Yes, but it still cannot reduce the target's hit points below 1. A better question then becomes which is applied first? - the sword damage or the spell damage?

Kioras
2014-03-17, 12:32 PM
Kinda like an ordained champion channeling a mark of justice.

I guess he is just branding the mark with an a hammer, or marking them ala Zorro.