PDA

View Full Version : Extra turning

x-Anarion-x
2014-03-17, 02:55 PM
I have been wondering this for a long while. Why is the feat Extra Turning not a divine feat? My DM reasoned that Dread Necro's can also turn. And agreed, but later I thought... but a DN is able to take divine feats... so there goes that solid reasoning...

Is it just a General *salutes* Feat because RAW or is there some brilliant reasoning which I am not able to find anywhere online.

tyckspoon
2014-03-17, 02:58 PM
It was written before they created Divine feats, is all. They're just not a PHB thing.

x-Anarion-x
2014-03-17, 03:07 PM
I know but there are such things are errata's.

Xintas
2014-03-17, 03:22 PM
WotC "If it isn't horribly broke, don't fix it. If it is, turn off the lights and pray nobody notices."

holywhippet
2014-03-17, 05:03 PM

Yes, but splat books build on top of the core rulebooks. They need to assume that players might only have the core rulebooks and not books which introduce new concepts to the game. Making extra turning a divine feat wouldn't work very well since the PHB doesn't mention what a divine feat is and errata is for fixing mistakes, not adding new material.

tyckspoon
2014-03-17, 05:07 PM
Also, Divine feats generally involve spending a Turn Undead use to do something else. Making Extra Turning into a Divine feat would either then require you to spend Turn Undead to get more Turn Undead (which would be kind of bizarre) or you'd have a Divine feat that didn't work like any of the other Divine feats, which is also weird. There's no particularly good reason to tag it as a Divine feat, since it doesn't use the kinds of mechanics that are noted by that tag.

Crake
2014-03-17, 05:19 PM

erratas are made to fix errors or re-work horribly written rules, not convert core material into splatbook material.

Besides, divine feats are feats who's bonuses are activated by spending turn attempts. Extra turning isn't powered by turning, it grants turning.

Big Fau
2014-03-17, 05:27 PM
Yes, but splat books build on top of the core rulebooks. They need to assume that players might only have the core rulebooks and not books which introduce new concepts to the game. Making extra turning a divine feat wouldn't work very well since the PHB doesn't mention what a divine feat is and errata is for fixing mistakes, not adding new material.

However, WotC has reprinted the same thing in two different 3.5 sources as a form of errata. It wouldn't have been unreasonable for them to do the same thing with Extra Turning (thus making it an optional errata that only applies if the DM wants to use that part of the book).

x-Anarion-x
2014-03-18, 02:17 AM
Also, Divine feats generally involve spending a Turn Undead use to do something else.

You got a point here, but the keyword is generally. For instance domain spontaneity does require the ability to turn/rebuke but you do not need to use TA's to use the feat.