PDA

View Full Version : Cohort Suggestion

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 03:06 PM
Lvl 6 one shot Warlock. 14 cha, took leadership. I can take a lvl 4 cohort. Suggested race/class/role?

I will be blasting from a distance, and using curse of despair on bosses. For RP, another warlock would be fun, as would a binder or sorcerer.

docnessuno
2014-03-17, 03:24 PM
For a one-shot i would chose a good meatshield to put in front of me.

IE: High Str/Con Mineral warrior lesser earth genasi, Warblade or Crusader 3

John Longarrow
2014-03-17, 03:34 PM
What is the rest of the party? What kind of one shot are you folks doing?

For a single adventure, I'd suggest tailoring your cohort to your parties needs, especially if you find out there is a weakness some place.

It generally bites to find out that you really need a healer in the party when you have four rogues...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-17, 03:38 PM
For a one-shot i would chose a good meatshield to put in front of me.

IE: High Str/Con Mineral warrior lesser earth genasi, Warblade or Crusader 3

A cohort could go LA +1/ [classes] 3, buy off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), and come into the game with four class levels. So your cohort will basically have a +1 LA for free.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 03:44 PM
Not sure what the rest of the party will be, but I'll definitely utilize him to shore up our faults. I hadn't thought to give him a template before. That would be cool. I think we need more AoE control. I figured on a warlock with a web wand and an entangle wand. But if we need a tank, LA would be awesome.

docnessuno
2014-03-17, 04:30 PM
A cohort could go LA +1/ [classes] 3, buy off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), and come into the game with four class levels. So your cohort will basically have a +1 LA for free.

IF LA buyback is in play then i would probably go for Warrior 2 / Warblade or Crusader 2.
Still gets lvl2 maneuvers, but in a one-shot game the difference between 2 and 4 feats is noticeable.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 04:34 PM
IF LA buyback is in play then i would probably go for Warrior 2 / Warblade or Crusader 2.
Still gets lvl2 maneuvers, but in a one-sot game the difference between 2 and 4 feats is noticeable.

Do you mean fighter? Warrior pops up on the srd with proficiencies and BAB, but no class features.

docnessuno
2014-03-17, 04:37 PM
Do you mean fighter? Warrior pops up on the srd with proficiencies and BAB, but no class features.

I do, sorry. I sometimes confuse the two class names, since WoTC decided that Fighter italian translation should be Guerriero (literally: Warrior) and warrior should be Combattente (literally: Combatant / Fighter).

Also in italian Warrior (Guerriero) usually indicates an higher degree of skill than Fighter (Combattente).

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 04:55 PM
I do, sorry. I sometimes confuse the two class names, since WoTC decided that Fighter italian translation should be Guerriero (literally: Warrior) and warrior should be Combattente (literally: Combatant / Fighter).

Also in italian Warrior (Guerriero) usually indicates an higher degree of skill than Fighter (Combattente).

Cool. I didn't mean to sound condescending, only wanting to clarify. :) thanks for the input. Fighter/warblade will be awesome if we need a tank!

Particle_Man
2014-03-17, 05:29 PM
An out of the box idea: Hexblade with the alternate class feature in PHB II of that weird familiarish shadowy thing that acts as an automatic debuff (-2 on saves, IIRC). Only since it is your Warlock doing the heavy lifting, it would be the warlock's curse ability that benefits from the synergy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-17, 06:53 PM
Go with a fear build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0), at that level fear effects are extremely powerful.

I'd go with a Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs), using the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races variant from Races of Destiny p150 to make him Humanoid (Human) instead of Humanoid (Orc). Give him the Draconic Creature template for that effectively free +1 LA. Throw on Unseelie Fey (Winter aspect) if you can get away with it. Alternatively you can also make him a Necropolitan and he'll still be 4th level, because that's what level of cohort you get. In that case say he was made a Necropolitan by a Dread Necromancer 8+ with the Corpsecrafter line of feats, in the area of a Desecrate with Fell Energy Spell and an evil altar present. That will give him +10 HP per level (+2 Dread Necro, +2 Corpsecrafter, the +1 for Desecrate becomes +3 for Fell Animate, then it gets doubled to +6 for the evil altar), in addition to a permanent +4 Enhancement to Str and Dex, +2 natural armor, +4 turn resistance, +4 initiative, +10 ft. speed, and +1d6 cold damage to his natural weapons (two claws from Draconic).

Make him a Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) 4, trade Inspire Courage for Inspire Awe, trade Countersong for Spellbreaker Song, and trade Hypnotism for Healing Hymn. He should have two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), City Slicker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30) for sure and Insomniac if he's a Necropolitan, Love of Nature if he's not. Feats should be Dreadful Wrath, Martial Study: Devoted Spirit: Crusader's Strike (gives Intimidate as a class skill, it can even heal undead), Melodic Casting, and Martial Stance: Crusader's Stance. Say you rescued him from the Otyugh Hole, and that he was there long enough to gain Menacing Demeanor without spending a feat on it. Elite array ability scores should be Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16 (Draconic Desert Half-Orc), or Str 14, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 20 (Unseele Fey Draconic Desert Half-Orc), or Str 19, Dex 18, Con -, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18 (Necropolitan Draconic Desert Half-Orc).

That gives him a 20-ft. radius save vs Shaken when he activates Dreadful Wrath, a 30-ft. save vs Shaken when he uses Inspire Awe, and an Intimidate bonus of 13+Cha mod, with an extra +4 for Unseelie Fey. Also keep in mind that as an Unseelie Fey with the Winter aspect, all adjacent opponents will take a penalty to all saving throws equal to his Cha bonus. Though I think Necropolitan would be better since he'll have ~71 hp and tons of additional benefits.

NPC WBL at 4th level is only 3,300 gp. I'd give him a Masterwork Chain Shirt (250 gp), Anklet of Translocation (1400 gp), Healing Belt (750 gp, can be used to heal others if he's a Necropolitan), and have 900 gp remaining for potions, wands, useful items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), mundane gear, etc.

Spells known (6/3/2):
0- Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Stick
1st- Silent Image, Grease, Cure Light Wounds
2nd- Glitterdust, Mirror Image

He'll be a decent melee combatant with his two-claw full attack, a decent healer with Crusader's Stance, spells, wands, and Healing Hymn, and amazing at imposing fear effects on opponents so severe that they flee in terror. Remember that an elevated fear effect stays elevated until every contributing fear effect has ended, so if he uses Inspire Awe and causes opponents to become shaken, then full attacks and they become Frightened, each one stays Frightened until both of those effects are no longer active on them.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-17, 06:57 PM
An out of the box idea: Hexblade with the alternate class feature in PHB II of that weird familiarish shadowy thing that acts as an automatic debuff (-2 on saves, IIRC). Only since it is your Warlock doing the heavy lifting, it would be the warlock's curse ability that benefits from the synergy.

Seconded. He's referring to the dark companion. Then give him bind vestige and improved bind vestige for focalor...

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 07:17 PM
Seconded. He's referring to the dark companion. Then give him bind vestige and improved bind vestige for focalor...

Can I get a page reference? I tried to spot what he was referring to but didn't see it.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-17, 07:18 PM
Can I get a page reference? I tried to spot what he was referring to but didn't see it.

Dark Companion (PHB 2, p 47): Lose familiar to gain a combat orientated companion

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 07:22 PM
Cool cool. Haven't used PH2 before and overlooked it in the format. Thanks!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-03-17, 07:41 PM
Alright. I'm strongly considering the hex blade variant. I really like how I see us interacting. Also Hideous laughter would be simply lovely. Any feat suggestions?