PDA

View Full Version : As a DM, would you alllow this? Ranged thrower goodies...

graeylin
2014-03-17, 05:15 PM
Since a magical bow imparts its magic on the arrows it fires, would you allow a dart thrower/shuriken thrower to do a similar enchantment on a pair of gloves or gauntlets or bracers or something, to impart a +1 hit/damage to thrown weapons by that user?

And could said item continue to be enhanced similar to a bow, to add other magical qualities (like bane, sonic damage, etc.) up to the normal limits of a bow? And, carry a weapon crystal like a bow?

I've been asked to allow it, and I don't see anything cheesy about it yet. In fact, as a glove/bracer/etc., it takes up a magic slot that a weapon doesn't, so it seems a decent deal all around. It lets the player be a ninja, tossing shuriken around, and he doesn't have to buy 50 magical shuriken and then watch them shatter and lose his gold with every throw.

Am I missing something, that will turn this into the overpowered item from heck? Or is it a simple adjustment to let a guy enjoy his otherwise middling power PC have fun?

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-03-17, 05:25 PM
I would allow it, even without the slot. However I would warn the player not to abuse it (and I think that would be enough to be safe).

Kazudo
2014-03-17, 05:47 PM
Make sure to make it clear where the boundaries of the items are. That you can only impart the enhancement onto weapons the character has proficiency with, for example, or only a specific kind of "ammunition", and (since throwing axes are immune to the Arrow Breakage rule, for example IIRC) make it clear that the item loses said imparted abilities as soon as the attack is finished (and doesn't get them at all in melee).

At least that's how I'd allow it.

Techwarrior
2014-03-17, 07:17 PM
Make sure to make it clear where the boundaries of the items are. That you can only impart the enhancement onto weapons the character has proficiency with, for example, or only a specific kind of "ammunition", and (since throwing axes are immune to the Arrow Breakage rule, for example IIRC) make it clear that the item loses said imparted abilities as soon as the attack is finished (and doesn't get them at all in melee).

At least that's how I'd allow it.

I've allowed it before, with essentially these restrictions on a Bloodstorm Blade. I required it to be enchanted as a magical gauntlet (single, so to enchant the weapons thrown from two separate hands you needed two) as a weapon if it was specific to a single weapon, multiplied by 1.5 if it applied to all thrown weapons. Neither glove applied to using the item as a melee weapon. It worked out well, and allowed the Blade to keep up with the (Travel Devotion) Swift Hunter damage-wise.

Just tell them to make sure to not abuse it, and then make them stick to that.

docnessuno
2014-03-17, 07:25 PM
I've allowed it before, with essentially these restrictions on a Bloodstorm Blade. I required it to be enchanted as a magical gauntlet (single, so to enchant the weapons thrown from two separate hands you needed two) as a weapon if it was specific to a single weapon, multiplied by 1.5 if it applied to all thrown weapons. Neither glove applied to using the item as a melee weapon. It worked out well, and allowed the Blade to keep up with the (Travel Devotion) Swift Hunter damage-wise.

Just tell them to make sure to not abuse it, and then make them stick to that.

I went with two slightly different approaches myself (in two different games), homebrewing some weapon magic properties.
Greater returning: +2 equivalent bonus, works exactly like the returning property, with the exception that the weapon comes back immediately, allowing iterative attacks.
Duplicating: +3 equivalent bonus. The wielder of a Duplicating weapon can split it, create identical copies of the weapon as a free action. Each copy persist while is wielded by the character and for 1 round after leaving his hands. If all the duplicating weapons leave the character hands, the last one will persist indefinitely.