PDA

View Full Version : Good uses for a wand of color spray?

gadren
2014-03-17, 05:45 PM
Part of the treasure for our level 3 party was a 1st level wand of color spray (DC 11). Haven't been able to sell it, so I'm trying to figure out some good uses for it. So far no enemy I've face has rolled less than a 15 on any saving throw, so using it to cast color spray just seems silly.

Since the whole party has good will saves, I was thinking of "accidentally" dropping it the next time we face off against a caster and using a reverse psychology bluff to convince him to waste a couple standard actions trying to use it on us.

Alternatively, maybe I could use it as a back scratcher? Put it under the leg of a wobbly chair?

What would YOU use your 1st level color spray wand for?

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-17, 05:47 PM
Have an artificer use it for scrap.

Gwaednerth
2014-03-17, 05:48 PM
pink floyd concert.

Kazudo
2014-03-17, 05:49 PM
Color spray livestock, use as projectiles. Color spray townspeople, take their stuff (or use as projectiles). Waste charges on enemies with the requisite number of hit die and just, yaknow, hope they roll low.

It's hard to believe that so many enemies would roll so well on will when so few CR 3 monsters or NPCs actually have a decent score, but that's neither here nor there.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-03-17, 05:50 PM
Gift it to a good temple, and go running there the next time we needed serious healing.

Sian
2014-03-17, 05:53 PM
use it for Craft (Painting) and sell the art :smalltongue:

Big Fau
2014-03-17, 05:55 PM
Use it to kidnap an enemy's children and hold them hostage?

Or is that not what you meant when you asked for "good uses"?

Kazudo
2014-03-17, 05:57 PM
On a semi-realistic note, I'd hang on to it. You never know when you'll need a wand of Color Spray. Or a magic wand with charges that you can bluff is a much more powerful wand that you can't afford yet. Or a poking stick for when the barbarian's in season.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-17, 07:12 PM
Make your own dungeon (with blackjack and hookers, of course), and put the wand inside a trapped chest therein.

docnessuno
2014-03-17, 07:15 PM
Make your own dungeon (with blackjack and hookers, of course), and put the wand inside a trapped chest therein.

In fact, forget the dungeon (and the wand).

Kazudo
2014-03-17, 07:16 PM
In fact, forget the dungeon (and the wand).

But not the chest. Keep that.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-17, 07:29 PM
Use the wand of color spray to make either
a) more wands of color spray
b) wonderous magic items of color spray

Then gather up all the magic items you made.
????
Then profit.

But seriously, use the magic wand of color spray to make a wondrous magic item of color spray usable once per day, and use it to make tones more of the wondrous magic item of color spray and have 50 uses per day eventually.

Darrin
2014-03-17, 07:38 PM
Even for stronger enemies, it's still a Will save vs 1 round of stun. Some really large creatures have low Will Saves. For example, that wand has a 30% chance to stun a purple worm for 1 round.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-17, 07:40 PM
I can imagine a Dual-Wand abusing bard or warlock with the DC increasing feats and color spray wands.

Is it scary that I think it could work, or scarier that I think its a viable combat option.