PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Character help please!

Zanthy1
2014-03-17, 06:07 PM
Hello friends of the Playground!

For an upcoming campaign, I intend to be playing a wizard who prestiges into an archmage. Only things that are set in stone are my race and such. Here is what I have so far:

I am a Celestial (+2 LA template) Gray Elf. ECL is 17. So I have 13 levels in wizard and 2 in archmage. I think i have my feats picked out and skills assigned, but what I still need help with are items and spells. Also what high arcana would you recommend? I have checked out the wizards handbook, but want some more opinions overall.

The feats I have are:
Skill focus (spell craft)
Spell focus (enchantment)
Spell focus (illusion)
Improved initiative
Quicken spell
Chain spell
and I took arcane thesis twice, but have not applied it to a spell yet, because I do not know what spells I have.

Any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Know(Nothing)
2014-03-17, 06:14 PM
Keen Intellect, Insightful Reflexes and Faerie Mysteries Initiate come to mind, right off the bat.

One Step Two
2014-03-17, 06:35 PM
Is LA Buyoff available? If so, it's worthwile, as the 16,000xp buyoff for LA +2, means you're 16th level.

As for being an Elf, are you taking Elven Generalist? because I recommend it heartily.

Zanthy1
2014-03-17, 06:47 PM
I'll ask my DM about LA buy off, however in the past he hasn't been to keen on it. I do not know what elven generalist is though :/

One Step Two
2014-03-17, 06:58 PM
Just remind them that the main point of LA buyoff, is that it lets you pay a toll for the benefit of your LA, which while might be powerful at lower levels, but isn't as impacting in higher level play. If nothing else, you're still a level behind the party, for a moderate benefit, which isn't terible.

Elven Generalist Wizard can be found in Races of the Wild, you specifically choose to not specailise in any one school, to gain a few benefits, such as an extra spell learned every time you level up, improved benefit from your familiar, and most importantly, one bonus spells slot of highest level spell you can cast.

eggynack
2014-03-17, 08:00 PM
Elven Generalist Wizard can be found in Races of the Wild, you specifically choose to not specailise in any one school, to gain a few benefits, such as an extra spell learned every time you level up, improved benefit from your familiar, and most importantly, one bonus spells slot of highest level spell you can cast.
It's especially good with domain wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard), which adds a spell per day a each spell level, basically for free.

Zanthy1
2014-03-18, 01:06 PM
So LA buy off has been approved, yay!

Also I am looking at Races of the Wild, I love Elf generalist, and I also love the Natural Link! I took a hummingbird as a familiar, which grants a +4 initiative, which gets doubled now to a +8! I also took Improved Initiative, so I get a +12 bonus on top of my dex! Please tell me this is correct lol

John Longarrow
2014-03-18, 02:20 PM
For levels 11-13, go Abjurant Champion. Only thing that changes is you get more BAB, HPs, and some specials!

Only down side, you need Combat Casting. As an Elf, you get the martial weapon you need and I'm betting you will pickup an Abjuration spell somewhere along the way.

Rebel7284
2014-03-18, 02:45 PM
So LA buy off has been approved, yay!

Also I am looking at Races of the Wild, I love Elf generalist, and I also love the Natural Link! I took a hummingbird as a familiar, which grants a +4 initiative, which gets doubled now to a +8! I also took Improved Initiative, so I get a +12 bonus on top of my dex! Please tell me this is correct lol

The hummingbird bonus doubling is debatable.

An elf wizard’s link to his familiar strengthens. The bonus on skill checks, saves or hit points granted by the familiar doubles, this bonus only applies when the familiar is within arm’s reach of the wizard. This ability replaces the ability to cast touch spells through the familiar and the ability of the familiar to talk to others of its kind.

A bonus to initiative is neither a skill check, save, or hit points. It's an ability check.

Zanthy1
2014-03-18, 03:05 PM
The hummingbird bonus doubling is debatable.

A bonus to initiative is neither a skill check, save, or hit points. It's an ability check.

Ohhh I see what you mean. Oh well, its still a baller bonus regardless of it doubling

One Step Two
2014-03-18, 05:58 PM
Awesome to hear LA Buyoff is a go, it's excellent stuff!

Also, I highly rate the use of Abjurant Champion, d10 Hit-dice is oh-so good, not to mention the very very cool class features, it's found in Complete Mage, the Combat Casting feat isn't the worst thing in the world, to have either.
Double-Plus Fun if you can manage to get Domain Wizard casting, and choose the Abjuration Domain.