PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Truespeech [Truenamer fix, PEACH]

qwertyu63
2014-03-17, 07:07 PM
This project is mirrored at dnd-wiki (https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Truespeech_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)).

Speaking the Words:
When the gods created the multiverse, they did so by speaking in a long lost tongue. By finding and learning scraps of this language, you can greatly control the multiverse. However, to use a word, you must truly understand it and then say it with absolute clarity. The knowledge behind this is represented by the skill of Truespeech.

To speak a phrase, you must first choose what phrase you wish to speak. You can choose any phrase in your Lexicon. To speak a phrase, you must be able to speak. All phrases are spoken as a standard action.

Once you have chosen what phrase you want to speak, you need to make a Truespeech check. The DC of this check is 10 + double the level of the phrase. If you fail this check, the phrase fails to take effect.

If you succeed on the check, the phrase takes effect and you suffer Drain. Every phrase has two drain numbers listed in the form -X/-Y. X is known as Long-Term Drain, while -Y is known as Short-Term Drain. Both of these numbers are imposed as a penalty on all Truespeech checks to speak phrases, but the two penalties go away at different rates. Both types of Drain stack.

Short-Term Drain goes away very quickly. To remove Short-Term Drain, you merely need focus for 1 minute. Doing so removes all Short-Term Drain.

Long-Term Drain sticks around much longer. In fact, to get rid of any of it, you must sleep or rest for 8 hours. Doing so removes all Long-Term Drain and Short-Term Drain.

Phrases are supernatural effects; however, they can be dispelled as if they were spell-like abilities. In addition, phrases create magical echoes that can be detected with Detect Magic as if they were spells; however, phrases do not have a school.

Each Phrase has two labels; its Chain Name and its Word. The Chain Name tells you the name of the chain the phrase is part of and how far into the chain the phrase is. The Word of a Phrase is the new truespeech word you learn when you learn the Phrase.

To add a phrase into your Lexicon, you must fulfill two requirements. The first requirement is a level requirement; your Truespeaker level must be at least double the level of the phrase minus one. The other is a chain requirement; to learn a phrase, you need to know all phrases before it in its chain (i.e. to learn Air II, you need to know Air I; to learn Fire III, you need to know Fire I and Fire II).

If a phrase has a duration longer than Instantaneous, the truespeaker that spoke the phrase can end the phrase early as a move action (no truespeech check is required to do this).

If a phrase allows a saving throw, the DC is 10 + the phrase's level + the speakers Int modifier.

Note on Languages:
Most truespeakers will keep Speak Language at maximum ranks; combine that with All-Speaker and they learn 3 languages every 2 levels. The GM will need to ensure they don't run out of languages to learn; the constant increase in languages known is a critical part of the balance of this system. Without more languages, their Truespeech bonus falls behind what it needs to be.

Truespeech (Int):
This skill allows a creature to speak truespeech phrases and to identify such phrases and their effects.

Check: Truespeech is the skill used to speak truespeech phrases; the rules for this use can be found above. However, it can also be used to identify truespeech phrases and effects and to speak whispers.

In addition to your ranks in the skill and Intelligence modifier, you get an untyped bonus on Truespeech checks equal to the number of languages you know.

Whispers: While most of the power of Truespeech is found within the powerful phrases, there exist weaker effects known as Whispers. Truespeakers have an innate mastery of these simple words, but others can learn them by taking feats.

To speak a whisper, you must learn that whisper, either via the Whisperer class feature or Truewhisper. The Truespeech DC to speak a whisper is 10; Drain does apply to whispers (whispers have a drain of -1/-0). Attempting to speak a whisper is a full round action; and any target must be within 20 feet.

Color: Target object changes color for 2 minutes; you choose the new color.
Ember: Target takes 1 fire damage; very flammable objects light on fire.
Float: You have telekinesis (range of 20 feet, can move up to 5 lbs.) for 2 minutes.
Frost: Target takes 1 cold damage; easily frozen objects freeze.
Glow: Your eyes beam forth a 20-foot cone of light for 2 minutes.
Harm: Your target takes 1d2 damage.
Make: You create a small, crude object for 2 minutes.
Mend: Your target is healed 1d2 hit points.
Moment: You learn the time of day to the minute.
Name: You learn your targets name; disguises/aliases trick this whisper.
North: You learn which direction is north.
Skill: You get a +1 to your next skill check within 2 minutes.
Soul: You learn your targets alignment.
Identifying Truespeech: If you hear a truespeech phrase or whisper be spoken or see its ongoing effects, you can make a Truespeech check to identify the effect. The DC to do this is equal to 11 plus the level of the phrase (whispers are treated as level 0 phrases for this purpose).

Speaking Truespeech: Truespeech is a very complex language. However, it is a proper language; those who have studied it can speak and understand it.

If you have 3 or more ranks in Truespeech, you can understand simple sentences spoken in Truespeech.
If you have 6 or more ranks in Truespeech, you can understand complex sentences spoken in Truespeech and speak simple sentences.
If you have 9 or more ranks in Truespeech, you can speak complex sentences in Truespeech.

Literate characters can read and write Truespeech as well. They can read anything they understand and write anything they can speak.

Action: Varies. Speaking a phrase is a standard action. Identifying a phrase is a free action. Speaking a whisper is a full-round action.

Try Again: Varies. You can retry speaking a phrase or whisper at will, bearing in mind the actions required. If you fail the identify a phrase or whisper, you can not try to identify that phrase or whisper again for 1 minute.

Special: You cannot take 10 with this skill.

qwertyu63
2014-03-17, 07:09 PM
Truespeaker:

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+0
+0
+0
+2
Truespeech, Truespeaking focus, Whisperer

2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3
All-speaker

3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3
Knowledgeable

4th
+2
+1
+1
+4
All-speaker

5th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Knowledgeable, Bonus Feat

6th
+3
+2
+2
+5
All-speaker

7th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Knowledgeable

8th
+4
+2
+2
+6
All-speaker

9th
+4
+3
+3
+6
Knowledgeable

10th
+5
+3
+3
+7
All-speaker, Bonus Feat

11th
+5
+3
+3
+7
Knowledgeable

12th
+6/1
+4
+4
+8
All-speaker

13th
+6/1
+4
+4
+8
Knowledgeable

14th
+7/2
+4
+4
+9
All-speaker

15th
+7/2
+5
+5
+9
Knowledgeable, Bonus Feat

16th
+8/3
+5
+5
+10
All-speaker

17th
+8/3
+5
+5
+10
Knowledgeable

18th
+9/4
+6
+6
+11
All-speaker

19th
+9/4
+6
+6
+11
Knowledgeable

20th
+10/5
+6
+6
+12
All-speaker, Bonus Feat

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level):
The truespeaker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis), and Truespeech (Int).

Hit Die: d4

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Truespeakers are proficient with all simple weapons. Truespeakers are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Truespeech:
The truespeaker can re-write reality with just a few words. They learn and can use a pool of phrases for use in truespeech. This pool of phrases is known as their Lexicon. Their Lexicon starts with 3 phrases in it at level 1, and expands by 2 phrases every level after that.

Truespeaking focus (Ex):
Truespeakers get +1 to all Truespeech checks for every Truespeaker level they have.

Whisperer (Ex):
Truespeakers have an innate knowledge of whispers. They learn every whisper as a part of their training and study.

All-speaker (Ex):
Truespeakers study language, and so naturally pick up a wide range of them. At every even numbered Truespeaker level, the truespeaker learns another language.

Knowledgeable (Ex):
Knowledge is power, and truespeakers have quite of knowledge; their studies into the first language lead to a wide range of knowledge. At every odd numbered level except the first, the truespeaker receives, as a bonus feat, the Skill Focus feat for the Knowledge skill of their choice.

Bonus Feat:
The truespeaker is a student of the language of creation; they often pick up new tricks in the language. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, they get a bonus feat. They can choose any Metaphrase feat, Craft Truespeech Item or Expanded Lexicon. They must still meet all prerequisites for the chosen bonus feat.

Bonus Languages:
A truespeaker’s bonus language options are unrestricted; that is, a character whose first level is truespeaker may choose any languages as their bonus languages, regardless of their race.

Epic Truespeaker:

LevelSpecial
21st--
22ndAll-speaker
23rdBonus feat
24thAll-speaker
25th--
26thAll-speaker, Bonus feat
27th--
28thAll-speaker
29thBonus feat
30thAll-speaker

Truespeech:
The truespeaker's speaker level is equal to their class level. The truespeaker's lexicon does not expand from levels after 20th level.

All-speaker (Ex):
The epic truespeaker learns a new language at every even-numbered level.

Knowledgeable (Ex):
The epic truespeaker stops receiving additional Skill Focus bonus feats.

Bonus Feats:
The epic truespeaker gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic truespeaker feats) every three levels after 20th.

Epic Truespeaker Bonus Feat List:
Epic Skill Focus, Epic Truespeech, Epic Will, Great Intelligence, Polyglot, Superior Initiative. In addition to the feats on this list, the truespeaker may select any metaphrase feat not listed here.

Errata: Languages you can speak by virtue of taking Polyglot do not count as languages known for your Truespeech bonus.

Items:
Amulet of Words:
The amulet of words is a simple magic item that acts as a major boon to truespeakers. When worn, the amulet grants you an competence bonus to truespeech checks. The amount of this bonus can be any multiple of 5, ranging from +5 to +20.
Crafting Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item OR Craft Truespeech Item, creator must have ranks in Truespeech at least equal to the bonus.
Cost: 2,500 gp (+5), 10,000 gp (+10), 22,500 gp (+15), 40,000 gp (+20).

Phrase Tablet:
Phrase tablets are stone tablets with a single phrase of truespeech etched into them and reinforced with magical force. Phrase tablets can be read to create the effect of the phrase tied to them or studied to learn the phrase.
To read a phrase from a tablet requires you to have the tablet in hand. Other than this requirement, speaking a phrase from a tablet works exactly like speaking a phrase normally. Reading a phrase from a tablet does not require you to know the phrase, qualify to learn the phrase, or even have the truespeech class feature at all.

To learn a phrase from a tablet requires you to spend one hour studying the tablet. At the end of that hour, you must spend 20 xp per level of the phrase. When you do, the phrase is added to your Lexicon. Doing this requires the Truespeech class feature, and you must qualify to learn the phrase.

After you read the phrase successfully or study and learn the phrase, the magic in the tablet is expended and the stone tablet breaks. Failed attempts to read the phrase do not use up the tablet.

If the phrase etched into a tablet has an XP cost, the etcher does not need to pay this cost. If you use a tablet to read a phrase with an XP cost, you must pay that cost.
Crafting Requirements: Craft Truespeech Item, creator must must know the phrase being etched.
Cost: 100 gp times the level of the phrase squared.

Tome of Infinite Lore:
This tome contains a summary overview of almost everything there is to know in the universe. Written in truespeech, a creature must have at least 1 rank in Truespeech to use the tome. By referring to the text within the tome, the holder of the tome gets a +4 circumstance bonus to all Knowledge checks and to all Truespeech checks. This bonus does not stack with the bonus provided by masterwork tools.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item OR Craft Truespeech Item, Comprehend Languages OR Future I- Future, creator must have 14 or more ranks in Truespeech.
Cost: 3,600 gp.

qwertyu63
2014-03-17, 07:14 PM
Phrase List:
Level 1 Phrases:
Endure I- Endure: You endure heat and cold.
Fire I- Fire: Creates a burst of fire around one creature or space.
Future I- Future: Get the answer to a yes/no question about the near future.
Ice I- Ice: Creates a burst of ice around one creature or space.
Joy I- Joy: Grants a morale bonus.
Love I- Love: You know the status of your friend.
Magic I- Magic: Just like Detect Magic.
Mask I- Mask: The target is disguised by Disguise Self.
Power I- Power: Makes weapon/armor temporarily magic.
Push I- Push: Pushes the target away.
Speed I- Speed: The target is faster.
Ward I- Ward: A shield of force protects you.
Water I- Water: Create water.

Level 2 Phrases:
Air I- Air: Grants the target brief flight.
Chance I- Chance: The target can reroll a d20 once.
Earth I- Earth: Creates some walls of stone.
Heal I- Heal: Heals the target.
Mind I- Mind: Read the targets mind.
Open I- Open: Target lock is opened, if the DC is 30 or lower.
Power II- Growth: The target gets +4 to an ability score.
Push II- Pull: Pulls the target towards you.
Shadow I- Shadow: Makes someone invisible
Sound I- Sound: A blast of sound damages those near you.
Summon I- Summon: Summon a small elemental.
Wind I- Wind: A blast of wind is shot out.

Level 3 Phrases:
Endure II- Energy: You resist fire or cold.
Fire II- Burn: Creates a large burst of fire around one creature or space.
Hide I- Hide: Hide the target from divination; foes have to make caster level checks.
Ice II- Cold: Creates a large burst of ice around one creature or space.
Lightning I- Lightning: Throws a bolt of lightning.
Magic II- Remove: Just like Dispel Magic, but can't target an area.
Mask II- Image: Create an illusion around yourself.
Speed II- Time: The target is hasted, as the spell Haste.
Walk I- Walk: Short range teleport.
Ward II- Mark: Written text is enchanted to harm the reader.
Water II- Food: Create food.

Level 4 Phrases:
Air II- Fly: Grants the target faster and longer flight than Air I.
Daze I- Daze: The target is dazed for 1 round.
Earth II- Build: Creates more walls of stone that last longer than Earth I.
Heal II- Cure: Heals everyone in an area around the target; also cures disease/poison.
Lies I- Lies: You detect when a creature lies.
Message I- Message: Send a message to the target, wherever they are.
Mind II- Friend: The target sees you as a friend.
Sadness I- Sadness: Targets suffer from great sadness.
Speak I- Speak: You can talk to creatures without a common language.
Summon II- Element: Summon a large elemental.

Level 5 Phrases:
Chance II- Fate: The target can reroll a d20 several times.
Create I- Create: Create a real object, at the cost of XP.
Fire III- Ashes: Creates a massive burst of fire around one creature or space; killed creatures are reduced to ash.
Ice III- Snow: Creates a massive burst of ice around one creature or space; killed creatures are reduced to ice shards.
Lightning II- Storm: Throw a bolt of exploding lightning.
Love II- Bond: Targets can hear each others thoughts.
Raise I- Raise: Raise the target from the dead.
Sight I- Sight: You see the target from afar.
Walk II- Jump: Long range teleport.

Level 6 Phrases:
Earth III- Wall: Creates permanent walls of stone.
Future II- Knowledge: Get the answer to several questions about the future.
Magic III- Field: Just like Antimagic Field.
Mask III- Total: Creates a total illusion.
Mind III- Control: Control the mind of the target.
Power III- Surge: Like Power II, but with many targets.
Summon III- Ally: Summon a greater elemental.
Sun I- Sun: The sun appears to rise.

Level 7 Phrases:
Create II- Life: Create a living being, at the cost of XP.
Daze II- Stun: The target is stunned for 1d2+1 rounds.
Dragon I- Dragon: Summon a dragon.
Shadow II- Cloak: Makes many creatures invisible.
Sight II- Truth: Lets you see things as they are.
Walk III- Shift: Just like Plane Shift, but targets must be willing.
Wind II- Rain: Cause it to start or stop raining.

Level 8 Phrases:
Chance III- Destiny: The target can set a d20.
Death I- Death: Kill the target.
Hide II- Block: The target is protected by Mind Blank.
Invert I- Invert: Flips gravity near the speaker.
Sound II- Blast: A blast of sound greatly damages those near you.
Ward III- Resist: +5 to all saving throws.

Level 9 Phrases:
Create III- Plane: Create a new demiplane, at the cost of XP.
Future III- Glimpse: You can see a split second into the future.
Master I- Master: Create the powerful effect of your choosing; kind of like Wish.
Speed III- Stop: You speed up so much, time seems to stop.
Walk IV- Gate: Gate, but can't control called creatures.

Phrases:
Air I- Air
Words: Air
Level: 2
Target: Any creature within 50 feet
Duration: 1 round/level
Drain: -2/-1
Effect: The target gains a fly speed equal to their base land speed (perfect maneuverability).

Air II- Fly
Words: Air-Fly
Level: 4
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Drain: -2/-3
Effect: The target gains a fly speed equal to double their base land speed (perfect maneuverability).

Chance I- Chance
Words: Chance
Duration: 1 minute/level or until discharged
Effect: The target can, as an immediate action, reroll a d20 roll they just made or an attack roll someone just made to attack them. Once they do so, the duration of this phrase ends.

Whatever the result of the reroll, you must use it even if it is worse than the original roll.

Chance II- Fate
Words: Chance-Fate
Level: 5
Drain: -3/-4
Effect: The target can, as an immediate action, reroll a d20 roll they just made or an attack roll someone just made to attack them. They may do this a number of times equal to the level of the speaker divided by three. Once they do so, the duration of this phrase ends.

Whatever the result of the reroll, they must use it even if it is worse than the original roll.

Chance III- Destiny
Words: Chance-Fate-Destiny
Level: 8
Drain: -4/-7
Effect: The target can, as an immediate action, set a d20 roll they just made or an attack roll someone just made to attack them. When they do this, they may force the roll to be any result they desire between 1 and 20. Once they do so, the duration of this phrase ends.

Create I- Create
Words: Create
Target: Any location within 50 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Effect: You create a nonmagical, unattended object of any sort of nonliving matter. The volume of the item created cannot exceed 1 cubic foot per level. You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item.
XP cost: The item’s gold piece value in XP, or a minimum of 1 XP, whichever is more.

Create II- Life
Words: Create-Life
Level: 7
Drain: -3/-6
Effect: You create either a living creature or plant. You can create any creature with 1 hit die or less of the following types: Animal, Humanoid, Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid. You can create any plant so long as its size does not exceed 1 cubic foot per caster level. Created creatures have no special connection to you, but are friendly to you.
XP cost: 100 XP

Create III- Plane
Words: Create-Life-Plane
Level: 9
Target: Any location on the ethereal plane within 50 feet
Drain: -4/-8
Effect: You create a demiplane. This demiplane is 200 feet in radius. You determine the environment within the demiplane when you first speak this phrase, reflecting almost any desire you can visualize. You determine factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. This phrase cannot create life (including vegetation), nor can it create construction (such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth). You must add these things in some other fashion if you desire. This phrase can not create any material more valuable than iron (1 silver per pound). All planar traits of the plane match those of your home plane.
XP cost: 5,000 XP

Daze I- Daze
Words: Daze
Duration: 1 round
Effect: The target is dazed for 1 round; the target can make a Fortitude save to negate this effect.

Daze II- Stun
Words: Daze-Stun
Duration: 1d2+1 rounds
Effect: The target is stunned for 1d2+2 rounds; the target can make a Fortitude save to negate this effect.

Death I- Death
Words: Death
Effect: The target dies; the target can make a Fortitude save to negate this effect; targets that make their save instead take damage equal to half their remaining hit points.

Dragon I- Dragon
Words: Dragon
Effect: You summon a dragon at the target location. The dragon appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

The types of dragons that can be summoned are as follows: adult black, young adult blue, young adult green, juvenile red, adult white, young adult brass, young adult bronze, young adult copper, juvenile gold, juvenile silver.

Earth I- Earth
Words: Earth
Target: An area within 50 feet
Duration: 1 minute/level
Effect: A wall of stone composed of up to one 5-foot square per level appears and fills the target area. You can double the wall’s area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.

Earth II- Build
Words: Earth-Build
Duration: 2 minutes/level
Effect: A wall of stone composed of up to two 5-foot squares per level appears and fills the target area. You can double the wall’s area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.

Earth III- Wall
Words: Earth-Build-Wall
Level: 6
Drain: -3/-5
Effect: A wall of stone composed of up to one 5-foot square per level appears and fills the target area. You can double the wall’s area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.

Endure I- Endure
Words: Endure
Level: 1
Duration: 24 hours
Drain: -1/-0
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Endure Elements.

Endure II- Energy
Words: Endure-Energy
Level: 3
Drain: -2/-2
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Resist Energy, except only fire and cold can be chosen.

Fire I- Fire
Words: Fire
Target: Any creature or space within 50 feet
Effect: All creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level fire damage (max 5d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage.

Fire II- Burn
Words: Fire-Burn
Effect: All creatures within 15 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level fire damage (max 10d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage.

Fire III- Ashes
Words: Fire-Burn-Ashes
Effect: All creatures within 25 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level fire damage (max 20d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage. Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this phrase is entirely consumed, leaving behind only a trace of fine ash.

Future I- Future
Words: Future
Target: You
Effect: You know the answer to a single yes or no question about the near future. This phrase can only see 30 minutes into the future. There is a 30%-1%/level chance of getting the wrong answer.

Future II- Knowledge
Words: Future-Knowledge
Effect: You know the answer to up to three questions about the future. This phrase can only see 7 days into the future. There is a 30%-1%/level chance of getting no answer (roll once for each question).

Future III- Glimpse
Words: Future-Knowledge-Glimpse
Effect: This phrase grants you a powerful sixth sense. Once this phrase is spoken, you receive instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm. You are never surprised or flat-footed. In addition, the phrase gives you a general idea of what action you might take to best protect yourself and gives you a +2 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves. This insight bonus is lost whenever you would lose a Dexterity bonus to AC.

Heal I- Heal
Words: Heal
Effect: The target is healed 1d8/half your level hit points (max 5d8, round down).

Heal II- Cure
Words: Heal-Cure
Effect: All creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) are healed 1d8/half your level hit points (max 10d8, round down); all affected creatures are also cured of any and all diseases and poisons they may be suffering from.

Hide I- Hide
Words: Hide
Effect: Divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells can not detect your target unless their caster makes a caster level check with a DC of 11+your level. The targets gear is also protected.

Hide II- Block
Words: Hide-Block
Effect: The target is protected from mental effects as the spell Mind Blank.

Ice I- Ice
Words: Ice
Effect: All creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level cold damage (max 5d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage.

Ice II- Cold
Words: Ice-Cold
Effect: All creatures within 15 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level cold damage (max 10d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage.

Ice III- Snow
Words: Ice-Cold-Snow
Effect: All creatures within 25 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer 1d6/level cold damage (max 20d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage. Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this phrase is entirely destroyed, leaving behind only a pile of ice shards.

Invert I- Invert
Words: Invert
Target: Everything within 50 feet
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Effect: Gravity is inverted in the target area, causing all creatures and objects within it to fall up instead of down. If an object or creature reaches the top of the area without striking anything, it remains there until the phrase ends.

Joy I- Joy
Words: Joy
Effect: The target gets a +2 morale bonus to all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls and saving throws.

Lies I- Lies
Words: Lies
Duration: 2 minutes/level
Effect: You know when the target knowingly and intentionally speaks a lie. Lies of omission are not detected nor or technically true statements.

Lightning I- Lightning
Words: Lightning
Target: Any creature or space within 30 feet
Effect: All creatures in a straight line between you and the target take 1d6/level electricity damage (maximum 10d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage.

Lightning II- Storm
Words: Lightning-Storm
Target: Any creature or space within 30 feet
Effect: All creatures in a straight line between you and the target take 1d6/level electricity damage (maximum 15d6); all affected creatures except the target (if a creature is targeted) can make a Reflex save to half the damage. Then, all creatures within 5 feet of the target take 2d6 electricity damage.

Love I- Love
Words: Love
Target: Any willing creature within 50 feet
Duration: 1 hour/level
Effect: You are aware of direction and distance to the target and any conditions affecting them: unharmed, wounded, blooded (i.e. below 50% hp) disabled, staggered, unconscious, dying, nauseated, panicked, stunned, poisoned, diseased, confused, or the like. You may only affect one creature with this phrase at a time.

Love II- Bond
Words: Love-Bond
Target: You and up to 3 other willing creatures, all within 50 feet.
Effect: All targets can communicate telepathically regardless of language. All creatures involved must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher. Once created, this link works over any distance (but not across planes).

Magic I- Magic
Words: Magic
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Detect Magic. You may use Truespeak checks instead of Spellcraft checks to identify schools of magic.

Magic II- Remove
Words: Magic-Remove
Target: One spellcaster, creature, or object within 50 feet
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Dispel Magic, except the area dispel option is removed. This phrase can be used to counterspell, just like Dispel Magic.

Magic III- Field
Words: Magic-Remove-Field
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Antimagic Field, except with a duration of 1 minute/level.

Mask I- Mask
Words: Mask
Effect: The target is disguised as the spell Disguise Self.

Mask II- Image
Words: Mask-Image
Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds
Effect: This phrase creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. The illusion also includes sound. While concentrating, you can move and change the image within the target area. Any creature that interacts with the illusion can make a Will save to disbelief it.

Mask III- Total
Words: Mask-Image-Total
Duration: Concentration + 5 minutes
Effect: This phrase works like Mask II, except the illusion lasts longer and includes olfactory, tactile, and thermal elements. Furthermore, minor amounts of shadow energy are included in the illusion, making the illusion solid to those who fail their Will save; those who pass may choose to treat it as solid anyway.

Master I- Master
Words: Master
Target: Varies
Duration: Varies
Effect: Master is the strongest phrase a truespeaker can speak. With Master, you can create any one of the following effects:
* Duplicate any wizard, sorcerer or cleric spell of 7th level or lower.
* Create any item (magical or non-magical) up to 25,000 gp in value.
* Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. This effect stacks with itself up to 5 times on a given ability score.
* Reduce a creature's age by 2d10 years.
* Undo any harmful effect that can be removed by the spell Wish.
* Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects.
XP cost: 5,000 XP. If duplicated spell has a material component that costs 10,000 gp or more, there is an additional XP cost equal to one-fifth of the cost of that component in gp.

Message I- Message
Words: Message
Target: Any creature whose name you know
Effect: You send a short message of twenty-five words or less to the target. The target recognizes you if it knows you. It can answer in like manner immediately.

Mind I- Mind
Words: Mind
Effect: You can hear the surface thoughts of the target.

Mind II- Friend
Words: Mind-Friend
Effect: This phrase acts like the spell Charm Person, except the duration is 1 minute/level; the target can make a Will save to negate this effect.

Mind III- Control
Words: Mind-Friend-Control
Effect: This phrase acts like the spell Dominate Person, except the duration is 1 minute/level; the target can make a Will save to negate this effect.

Open I- Open
Words: Open
Target: A lock within 50 feet
Effect: The targeted lock is unlocked. Only locks with an Open Lock DC of 30 or less can be effected; if the DC is higher then 30, this phrase does nothing.

Power I- Power
Words: Power
Target: Any weapon or piece of armor within 50 feet
Effect: The targeted weapon or armor gets and enhancement bonus of +1 per four caster levels (minimum +1, maximum +5). Weapons get this bonus on attack and damage rolls, whereas armor gets this bonus to the AC it provides. An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this phrase.

Power II- Growth
Words: Power-Growth
Effect: The targeted creature gets a +4 bonus to one ability score of your choice. Spellcasters do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased ability scores, but the save DCs for their spells increase. If this spell is used to increase Intelligence, the increase does not grant extra skill points.

Power III- Surge
Words: Power-Growth-Surge
Target: One creature/level, all within 50 feet
Effect: This phrase works like Power II, but you can target multiple creatures.

Push I- Push
Words: Push
Effect: The target is pushed up to 10 feet further away from you; you choose the distance.

Push II- Pull
Words: Push-Pull
Effect: The target is pulled up to 10 feet closer to you; you choose the distance.

Raise I- Raise
Words: Raise
Target: Any dead body within 50 feet.
Effect: You bring the target creature back from the dead, if they have been dead for less than 1 day per level. The creature comes back with 1 hit point and loses 1 level. The body must be intact; missing parts stay missing.
XP cost: 1000 XP.

Sadness I- Sadness
Words: Sadness
Effect: All creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target, if a creature is targeted) suffer the effects of the spell Crushing Despair; all affected creatures can make a Will save to negate the effect.

Sight I- Sight
Words: Sight
Target: Any creature whose name you know
Effect: You can see and hear the targeted creature and their immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject).

Sight II- Truth
Words: Sight-Truth
Effect: This phrase allows you to see everything as it really is, as per the spell True Seeing.

Shadow I- Shadow
Words: Shadow
Target: A creature within 50 feet.
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Invisibility, but only creatures can be targeted.

Shadow II- Cloak
Words: Shadow-Cloak
Target: Any number of creatures within 100 feet
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Mass Invisibility, except the maximum distance between targets is 100 feet.

Sound I- Sound
Words: Sound
Effect: All creatures within 5 feet of you suffer 1d8 sonic damage and must succeed on a Fortitude save to avoid being stunned for 1 round. Creatures that cannot hear are not stunned but are still damaged. You are not affected.

Sound II- Blast
Words: Sound-Blast
Effect: All creatures within 10 feet of you suffer 10d6 sonic damage and are deafened for 4d6 rounds. Creatures affected can make a Fortitude save to halve the damage and the duration of the deafness.You are not affected.

Speak I- Speak
Words: Speak
Effect: Anything you say in any language is understood by any creatures that hear it. Creatures that do not know any spoken language do not understand you. In addition, you can understand any spoken language.

Speed I- Speed
Words: Speed
Effect: The base land speed of the target is increased by 30 feet for 1 minute/level.

Speed II- Time
Words: Speed-Time
Effect: The target gains the benefit of the spell Haste with a duration of 1 minute/level.

Speed III- Stop
Words: Speed-Time-Stop
Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent time)
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Time Stop.

Summon I- Summon
Words: Summon
Effect: You summon a small elemental (of any element) at the target location. The elemental appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

Summon II- Element
Words: Summon-Element
Effect: This phrase works like Summon I, but a large elemental is summoned instead.

Summon III- Ally
Words: Summon-Element-Ally
Effect: This phrase works like Summon I, but a greater elemental is summoned instead.

Sun I- Sun
Words: Sun
Duration: See text
Effect: This phrase creates an illusion everywhere within 1 mile of the targeted location. All creatures within the area of this spell see an illusion of the sun rising; the illusion also hides the real sun, should it be present. This illusion encompases the entire sky within the area. However, this illusion also creates bright light within the entire radius.

Unlike most light effects, the light created is the equivalent of sunlight for the purposes of creatures that are damaged or destroyed by sunlight. Effects such as true seeing reveal the illusory nature of the sun. However, the light created and its effects as real sunlight are real. The illusion of the sun progresses across the sky at a rate set so it sets at the same time as the real sun. Once the sun illusion sets, the duration of this phrase ends. To speak this phrase, you must be able to see the sky. Buildings and other objects provide shade as if the light was coming from the sun.
XP cost: 300 XP

Walk I- Walk
Words: Walk
Effect: You teleport up to 400 feet, arriving at your desired location exactly.

Walk II- Jump
Words: Walk-Jump
Target: You and up to 5 willing creatures within 50 feet
Effect: All targets teleport up to 100 miles/level, arriving at your desired location exactly.

Walk III- Shift
Words: Walk-Jump-Shift
Target: You and up to 7 willing creatures within 50 feet
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Plane Shift, except targets must be willing.

Walk IV- Gate
Words: Walk-Jump-Shift-Gate
Target: None
Duration: Instantaneous or concentration
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Gate. However, this phrase grants no control over any creatures called.

Ward I- Ward
Words: Ward
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Shield.

Ward II- Mark
Words: Ward-Mark
Target: Any object within 50 feet.
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Effect: This phrase works like the spell Explosive Runes.

Ward III- Resist
Words: Ward-Mark-Resist
Duration: 5 minutes/level
Effect: You get a +5 resistance bonus to all saving throws.

Water I- Water
Words: Water
Effect: You create up to 2/level gallons of drinkable fresh water. Water can be created in an area as small as will actually contain the liquid, or in an area three times as large—possibly creating a downpour or filling many small receptacles.

Water II- Food
Words: Water-Food
Effect: You create enough food for up to three Medium sized creatures for 24 hours. The food that this phrase creates is simple fare of your choice—highly nourishing, if rather bland. Food so created decays and becomes inedible within 24 hours.

Wind I- Wind
Words: Wind
Target: A 50 foot line, starting at you
Effect: The target area is hit with a blast of wind (approximately 50 mph) going away from you. Medium or Small creatures are knocked prone. Tiny or smaller creatures are blown 1d6 squares (i.e. 1d6x5 feet) away from you and knocked prone. Large or larger creatures are unaffected.

Wind II- Rain
Words: Wind-Rain
Duation: 24 hours
Effect: This phrase changes the weather everywhere within 1 mile of the targeted location. If it is currently raining or snowing, it stops raining/snowing and will not resume raining/snowing for 24 hours. If it is not raining/snowing, it starts raining/snowing (as appropriate for the temperature of the area) and will keep doing so for the next 24 hours. When this phrase ends, the normal weather resumes.

qwertyu63
2014-03-17, 07:15 PM
Feats:
Expanded Lexicon:
Your truespeech lexicon expands.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature.
Benefit: Add any two phrases of your choice that you qualify for to your lexicon.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you add two new phrases to your lexicon.

Truewhisper:
You understand the basics of Truespeech. This skill allows you access to whispers.
Prerequisites: Truespeech 1 rank.
Benefit: Choose a number of Truespeech Whispers equal to the number of Truespeech ranks you have. Whispers. You learn those Whispers. Furthermore, Truespeech is always a class skill for you; this applies retroactively.
Special: If you gain additional Truespeech ranks, you learn an equal number of additional Whispers until you have learned all of them.

Craft Truespeech Item [Item Creation]:
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature.
Benefit: You can create any truespeech item whose prerequisites you meet. Enchanting a truespeech item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To enchant a wondrous item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price.

You can also mend a broken truespeech item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the XP, half the raw materials, and half the time it would take to craft that item in the first place.

Metaphrase Feats:
As a truespeaker’s knowledge of the language of creation grows, they can learn to speak phrases in a slightly different way. Speaking a phrase in such a way is harder than normal but, thanks to metaphrase feats, at least it is possible. Phrases modified by a metaphrase feat have a higher DC to speak and cause more short-term drain.

This does not change the actual level of the phrase, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up. You choose to apply a metaphrase feat when speaking the phrase you wish to modify. Doing so does not take any longer than speaking the phrase normally.

Quicken Phrase [Metaphrase]:
By adding the word "Swift" to the start of your phrase, you are somehow able to speak it faster.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature, Truespeech 13 ranks.
Benefit: Speaking a quickened phrase is a swift action. A quickened phrase has the Truespeech DC to speak the phrase increased by +10 and causes 10 more points of Short-Term Drain.

Enlarge Phrase [Metaphrase]:
By adding the word "Distant" to the start of your phrase, you expand the range of the effect.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature, Truespeech 7 ranks.
Benefit: Enlarged phrases have any mention of "50 feet" in their target replaced with "100 feet". An enlarged phrase has the Truespeech DC to speak the phrase increased by +4 and causes 4 more points of Short-Term Drain.

Extend Phrase [Metaphrase]:
By adding the word "Lasting" to the start of your phrase, you extend the duration of the effect.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature, Truespeech 7 ranks.
Benefit: Extended phrases last twice as long. A extended phrase has the Truespeech DC to speak the phrase increased by +4 and causes 4 more points of Short-Term Drain.

Secure Phrase [Metaphrase]
By adding the word "Stable" to the start of your phrase, you can enunciate it more clearly.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature, Truespeech 5 ranks.
Benefit: Secured phrases are easier to say reliably; you can take 10 when speaking a secured phrase. A secured phrase has the Truespeech DC to speak the phrase increased by +2 and causes 2 more points of Short-Term Drain.

Living Whisper:
A living whisper is a snippet of truespeech given life and intellect. Living whispers are tied to the truespeaker that created them (hereafter referred to as their creator). To create a living whisper, a truespeaker must take the feat Whisperbound.

Whisperbound:
You discover the secret to bringing life to sound.
Prerequisites: Truespeech class feature, ability to speak 2nd level phrases
Benefit: You can create a living whisper. Creating a living whisper takes 1 minute, but costs nothing. You may only create one living whisper.

Living whispers are incorporeal, have hit points equal to their creator, and are size Fine. Their AC is 18, and they can fly with perfect maneuverability and a speed of 30 feet. Living whispers act on their creators initiative count. If a living whisper is destroyed, or it somehow moves out of its creator's line of effect, it reappears in its creator's space in 1d6 rounds. If a living whisper must make a saving throw, it uses its creator's save modifier. It lacks skill ranks, feats, Hit Dice, and ability score modifiers, except where otherwise noted.

Living whispers have no sense of sight; instead, they must rely on their sense of hearing to navigate. They have ranks in Listen equal to their creators hit dice plus 3 and blindsight with a range of 50 feet. They also have ranks in Truespeech equal to their creators hit dice plus 3.

Living whispers can not be seen via most methods of sight. Their creator can see them as a disturbance in the air; creatures using true seeing can also see the living whisper. Living whispers can speak any language known by their creator. In addition, the living whisper knows and can use all Truespeech Whispers.

Epic Phrases:
Epic phrases are very powerful phrases. However, they act like normal phrases for most cases. The only differences are that epic phrases can only be learned by taking Epic Truespeech (no other method works) and items like phrase tablets can not be made for epic phrases. For calculating Save DC's and Truespeech DC's, epic phrases are 10th level phrases.

Epic Truespeech [Epic]:
Your studies into truespeech finally unlock the most powerful of phrases.
Prerequisites: Ability to speak 9th-level phrases
Benefit: Add any epic phrase of your choice to your lexicon.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Create IV- Universe
Words: Create-Life-Plane-Universe
Level: Epic
Target: Any location on the ethereal plane within 50 feet
Drain: -5/-10
Effect: You create a massive demiplane. This demiplane is 200,000 feet in radius. You determine the environment within the demiplane when you first speak this phrase, reflecting most any desire you can visualize. You determine factors such as atmosphere, water, light, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. You can establish patterns such as days, nights and even seasons. This phrase can also create simple life such as animals and vegetation. It can also create construction such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth. This phrase can not create any material more valuable than silver (5 gold per pound). All planar traits of the plane match those of your home plane.
XP Cost: 10,000 XP

Destroy I- Destroy
Words: Destroy
Effect: This phrase creates a massive thunderstorm that covers everywhere within 1 mile of the targeted location and rains fire down on that area. All creatures and objects within 1 mile of the targeted location take 1 damage of fire damage each round. Unless the ground is exceedingly damp, all vegetation is eventually blackened and destroyed, leaving behind a barren wasteland similar to the aftermath of a grass or forest fire.

Sands I- Sands
Words: Sands
Target: You and up to 5 willing creatures within 50 feet
Effect: All targets teleport through time. You choose the amount of time and the direction, but the amount of time must be a multiple of 100 years. Anything that is done to change the future will only change the future in the smallest way possible.

Sun II-Moon
Words: Sun-Moon
Target: None
Effect: You advance the time of day for the entire plane you are on. Time jumps up to 24 hours forwards to your chosen time of day. This is an actual change of time; duration's advance and the sun and moon rise and set as appropriate. From the perspective of other planes, the plane you are on vanishes from existence until it arrives at the new time.
XP Cost: 600 XP

Teach I- Teach
Words: Teach
Effect: You impart some of your knowledge onto your target. Choose any Intelligence-based skill in which you have at least 10 ranks. Your target is imbued with some of your knowledge of that skill; they are forevermore treated as having 1 more rank in that skill then they actually do (up to their maximum ranks). A given creature can only benefit from this phrase once per skill. Alternatively, you can choose a truespeech whisper; your target is imbued with the ability to speak that whisper.

qwertyu63
2014-03-20, 08:38 PM
Alright, time to bring this thing up. I've added in several more feats, more phrases (bringing the total to 45), new class features and a new use for the Truespeech skill.

qwertyu63
2014-04-05, 08:46 AM
"Raise"

There we go. I've added in several more phrases, bringing the total to 54. I also think I added in the phrase tablet since the last bump, but I'm not sure.

LordErebus12
2014-04-07, 09:52 AM
not bad at all. Definitely a better version than the core version.

qwertyu63
2014-04-07, 10:00 AM
not bad at all. Definitely a better version than the core version.

It's not a tough feat to be better than the truenamer. Thank you. :smallsmile:

qwertyu63
2014-04-14, 01:14 PM
Alright, here's the situation.

I have defined how phrases interact with normal effects. They do not provoke AoO's, they can be detected and dispelled, and they are subject to Anti-magic fields.

I want to make more truespeech items, but I can't come up with any ideas. All ideas will be considered.

LordErebus12
2014-04-15, 01:01 AM
Alright, here's the situation.

I have defined how phrases interact with normal effects. They do not provoke AoO's, they can be detected and dispelled, and they are subject to Anti-magic fields.

I want to make more truespeech items, but I can't come up with any ideas. All ideas will be considered.

Perhaps an item that is a throat slot. Imagine an choker collar that grants the use of several abilities.

Call it "Throat of the Truenamer".

At Will, mutter the true word for violence, fires a 30 ft. ray effect, dealing 5d6 sonic damage +1 per Truenamer's level. Spell Resistance Applies.
3/Day, mutter the true word for protection. Interposing Hand effect.
1/Week, instantly know the true name of one creature who fails a will save (DC 15 + Truenamer's Int Modifier).

Caster level 9th.

qwertyu63
2014-04-15, 07:36 AM
Perhaps an item that is a throat slot. Imagine an choker collar that grants the use of several abilities.

Call it "Throat of the Truenamer".

At Will, mutter the true word for violence, fires a 30 ft. ray effect, dealing 5d6 sonic damage +1 per Truenamer's level. Spell Resistance Applies.
3/Day, mutter the true word for protection. Interposing Hand effect.
1/Week, instantly know the true name of one creature who fails a will save (DC 15 + Truenamer's Int Modifier).

Caster level 9th.

...there are 2 problems with this item:

1: With this system, creatures don't have true names, so the third ability is meaningless.
2: The 1 equipable item I've made made up so (the amulet of words) far takes the throat slot.

That said, the phrases for an item like this... Sound I- Sound would definitely be on the list, but what for the defensive effect? I don't have any good defensive phrases.

Mith
2014-04-15, 08:38 AM
I have glanced over this, and I like what I see. I have no experience with a lot of D&D, so I can't really critique, but keep up the good work. As for defenses words, how about a Ward progression(Ward I, Ward II, Ward III). Another fun idea could be Wyrd (Fate) allowing for rerolls.

qwertyu63
2014-04-15, 09:37 AM
I have glanced over this, and I like what I see. I have no experience with a lot of D&D, so I can't really critique, but keep up the good work. As for defenses words, how about a Ward progression(Ward I, Ward II, Ward III). Another fun idea could be Wyrd (Fate) allowing for rerolls.

I actually wasn't planning on adding more phrases. I think I have enough.

That said, if I were to add more phrases, I would want to add 1 phrase to each of levels 1-8. Currently there are 10 level 1 phrases, 9 level 2 phrases, 8 level 3 phrases and so on to 3 level 8 phrases; however, there are 3 level 9 phrases. Adding one phrase to each of levels 1-8 would make it 11 first, 10 second and so on; that would make a perfect staircase.

So, what would Ward do? One idea is:

Ward I- Ward: Shield, as the spell. (level 1)
Ward II- Mark: Explosive Runes, as the spell. (level 3)

Also, ideas for Fate:

Fate I- Fate: Target creature can reroll any d20 roll they make or an attack roll someone makes to attack them; this reroll must be used within 1 minute/level. (level 2)
Fate II- Destiny: As Fate I- Fate but the target gets rerolls equal to caster level/3. (level 5)

So, that leaves room for phrases of the following levels: 4, 6, 7, 8.

qwertyu63
2014-04-26, 01:35 PM
Raise. Alright, I have expanded the phrase list to 63 phrases and 12 whispers, for a total of 75 effects.

I am currently planning the following:

An epic progression
Epic phrases
More truespeech items
Maybe some monsters
Maybe some PrCs
More metaphrase feats

qwertyu63
2014-05-03, 01:56 PM
I now have some epic phrases up, along with rules for learning and using them. Next on the to-do list: an epic progression for the Truespeaker.

qwertyu63
2014-05-12, 02:53 PM
Epic raise.

I have written up the epic progression of the truespeaker. I also wrote up an idea I've been sitting on for a while; the living whisper, intended to fill the same role as the familiar or psicrystal. It is very much a rough idea, but it's there.