PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Domain

claypigeons
2014-03-17, 09:32 PM
Can casting the spell Substitute Domain qualify you for prestige classes that require a specific domain?

Equipping a magic item to increase an ability score can open up feats: Is this application of an ability significantly different?

Agincourt
2014-03-17, 10:23 PM
I don't see why not. However, if the spell were dispelled or the duration ended, you'd lose all the special abilities of the prestige class since you no longer meet the prerequisites.

DarkSonic1337
2014-03-17, 11:45 PM
I would agree with the above poster. Even though you COULD debate about the whole losing prestige class prereqs making you lose the abilities thing (something about primary source rules and those prestige class rules only appearing in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane), most DMs will play it that way.

If you later gain the domain from some other means (like a 1 level dip in contemplative) then you won't have to worry about that issue though.

edit:see Curmudgeon's post

Curmudgeon
2014-03-18, 03:17 AM
Even though you COULD debate about the whole losing prestige class prereqs making you lose the abilities thing (something about primary source rules and those prestige class rules only appearing in Complete Champion and Complete Mage), most DMs will play it that way.
Try Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane instead, each with rules requiring continuous maintenance of PrC entry requirements yet significantly different consequences for failing to do so, and you'd be rather closer to the mark. :smallwink:

DarkSonic1337
2014-03-18, 04:10 AM
err my bad