PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to and Adventuring on Planes

Kaboom_Homey
2014-03-17, 11:20 PM
I think I know what spells to select to get my PCs and the NPCs I control to other planes, but what are the setups for the planes? I have the Planar Handbook, and I have looked at the spells in the PHb and some info in the DMG, but I do not see much detail on how to adventure on planes. Is there something I am missing? I expect that could be the answer. I want to incorporate it in my next campaign, but I would like some advice and info on how to make it work. Thanks!

Falcon X
2014-03-18, 01:20 PM
Oh boy, this is my favorite topic.

First off, you should know that all of the Planes. as they are in 3rd edition, are directly based off of Monte Cook's Planescape setting for 2nd edition.
Therefore, the place to look for adventuring in the planes is the old Planescape Campaign Setting. Here are a few links:

Play the Video Game Planescape: Torment for the way planars act, the interaction of the planes, and the City of Doors that most people spend their time preparing for planar travel in. Buy on Amazon in a D&D collection, or download here: http://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

Check out the online compilation of information at:
http://www.planewalker.com/

Or just purchase or download some sourcebooks, like "The Inner Planes", "A Guide to the Astral Plane", "On Hallowed Ground", "The Factol's Manifesto", "Planescape Campaign Setting", "Planes of Law", "Planes of Chaos", etc.
Amazon sells some. I cannot legally tell you where to find them online for free, but a filetype:pdf search does magic.

Beyond that, it really depends on what you need to know. Here's some general advice:
The planes are dangerous places for berks like you, and you got to know what your getting into before you walk into the Positive Energy Plane and get vaporized, eh?

There are three ways to get to the Planes.
1. Through existing Portals or "doors" that exist and open for various reasons. One might be an ancient gate. One might be a sparkle of energy you see somewhere. One might need a "key" to open that can be physical or mental.
2. A Gate spell, or something that has similar effect.
3. Travel through the Ethereal Plane.

Once you are there, you have a lot to be worried about:
1. The environment. Being in a plane made of Fire is dangerous. It also does well to know that if you are in a plane of chaos, you have to think chaotically, and if you are in a plane of law, you have to think of law.
2. How it effects you: The plane might change the nature of your spells and how they work.
3. The denizens: The people here may or may not be friendly. But they will think in a very specific way that you should know about.
4. The Powers: A Power is a God. Gods are tough. They live on the planes with their proxies and petitioners. Where in the Prime Material, gods are something distant, here they are close and very much a reality. Don't mess with a deity's proxy.

In short, take a guide with you. Hire one in Sigil. And for the Lady's sake, don't hire one in a tavern. I'd recommend finding a Faction that matches your philosophy and asking for recommendations.
Or get a planar compas to help you find portals and know which way is up.

One of the prob'ems you got, basher, is that you think just everybody knows the dark of the planes. I can count on my hand how many people went to the Negative Energy Plane and are still alive today, and half of them ain't talkin.
Planes are endless, but you can find cities and locations hidden among them.

A'right, so, which planes are you thinking about going to? Maybe we can work out a little travel plan, y'see. Tell you how to get there, who to pay some chink to, and how to keep a body like you out of the dead book.