PDA

View Full Version : How To Quit Your Job (When Your Boss Is A God) (Part II, Pathfinder)

The Oni
2014-03-18, 12:11 AM
So, I mentioned in an earlier thread that a certain god-hating barbarian of mine is working for Pharasma. He and the rest of the party were killed at the beginning of the game and collected by the goddess, then pressed into service in exchange for the opportunity to return to life temporarily and choose our afterlife when we died. (The other option, of course, was to just die.)

We're hunting a necromancer at her behest, something outside the area of most of our expertise, and supposedly it is the result of a prophecy that needs to be fulfilled.

Needless to say, my barbarian does NOT buy into this prophecy and does NOT appreciate this. And after having chafed under Pharasma's yoke for some time, it's time to bail. To clarify, I have no beef with the GM: so far the campaign has been quite entertaining, but I just can't stay true to this character and NOT Rage Against The Heavens. Raging against the heavens is literally part of his build!

So it's pretty clear-cut: I need to give Pharasma the proverbial finger, and either continue existing to tell the tale or at least go out in a spectacular enough way to make the gods sit up and pay attention. I DON'T need to murder the party or otherwise derail the campaign (beyond screwing with the prophecy). And if the barbarian ends up being an endgame villain, so be it.

Helpful Information:

1. The Campaign is sort-of vanilla Golarion. Pharasma is stronger in this campaign than she is in others, but otherwise covers the same domains. All other gods are assumed to exist in some form, as are all nations.

2.There is at least one high-level NPC who lich-ified himself in some way to escape Pharasma's personal attentions, implying that undeath is outside her portfolio and might offer some possible escape route.

3. Sacrifice of one's essence is a thing in game, causing temporary or sometimes permanent ability score damage, memory loss or other handicaps, that can apparently make really, really powerful magicky stuff happen, including creating intelligent items.

4. I'm OK with stuff that causes alignment checks if it gets the job done, although I'd like to avoid blatant puppy-kicking evil for puppy-kicking evil's sake.

5. Pharasma's agents apparently have a hard time maintaining contact with the party in heavy-magic zones. It's not impossible, but it's difficult and they have no reason to watch us like Big Brother (yet).

6. So far, the DM's played by all of his own rules, so I don't think he'd object to this plan if it's cool enough.

7. I'm an Oni-Blooded Tiefling. Not sure if that counts for anything but it might open up some options as far as cutting deals with Outsiders goes.

My current plan (really at this point my only plan) is to cut a deal with Urgathoa or one of her agents, possibly by appealing to her vanity as the glorious rebel princess who escaped Death's clutches as well as her desire to screw with Pharasma's machinations, to become some form of intelligent undead, which should prevent Pharasma from touching me directly. (No way to make 100% sure that Urgathoa will hold up her end of the deal, of course.)

That said, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-18, 01:55 AM
I don't remember from the first thread, are you porting in any 3.5 material? Because if so, becoming a Necropolitan is quick and easy.

Speaking of which, keep in mind that becoming any kind of undead is going to hurt your hit point total a LOT, even if you do it in a Desecrated area with an altar.

Haldir
2014-03-18, 02:29 AM
Work from within to place yourself to destroy her later.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-18, 02:33 AM
So, I mentioned in an earlier thread that a certain god-hating barbarian of mine is working for Pharasma. He and the rest of the party were killed at the beginning of the game and collected by the goddess, then pressed into service in exchange for the opportunity to return to life temporarily and choose our afterlife when we died. (The other option, of course, was to just die.)

We're hunting a necromancer at her behest, something outside the area of most of our expertise, and supposedly it is the result of a prophecy that needs to be fulfilled.

Ever ask why she isn't doing it herself, if she's so good at killing people?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-18, 02:58 AM
I don't remember from the first thread, are you porting in any 3.5 material? Because if so, becoming a Necropolitan is quick and easy.

Speaking of which, keep in mind that becoming any kind of undead is going to hurt your hit point total a LOT, even if you do it in a Desecrated area with an altar.

I'm AFB at the moment, what was the benefit of becoming undead at a desecrated altar?

The Oni
2014-03-18, 10:29 AM
Once I successfully pull off whatever it is I'm pulling off, I'm retiring the character and making a new one who will actually work with the rest of the party. As long as it ends with keeping my free will, CON loss is OK.

Ever ask why she isn't doing it herself, if she's so good at killing people?

Pharasma herself didn't bother to grace us with an answer. Her secretary's answer was that it involves a prophecy. I (in-character) don't believe in prophecy and I think it's because she's a tyrant bitch, but w/e. :smallbiggrin:

OOC, it may have to do with the necromancer herself having delved into the realm of undeath (outside her portfolio) or being a master of magical disguise so thorough, even the archmages rocking True Seeing where she was enrolled as a student didn't realize she was female.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-18, 12:32 PM
I'm AFB at the moment, what was the benefit of becoming undead at a desecrated altar?

+2 hit points per hit die.